The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ezmae
Britain gave them the land, I think Palestine was under British rule at the time

It was mainly bought by the jewish immigrants, history that far back is largely irrelevant to the conflict today however.
Original post by Pussy Galore
You are being very dishonest and manipulative, OP what you see above leaves out context, it matters. The context in which the 8 Palestinians were killed was not one of a surprise attack and kidnapping through military infrastructure (tunnels) that had been in the works over recent years.

The reason why Israel is conducting military operations in Gaza stems from the kidnapping and killing of three Israeli civilians through the use of Hamas sponsored and built tunnels, which Hamas uses to raid Israel.

As for the civilian casualties, deeply regrettable, but Hamas is largely to blame. Hamas stores weapons weapons in densely populated areas and is using civilians as meat shields, which is a great propaganda tool as the civilian death toll rising helps to gather support from you and your ilk for the actions of Hamas, a terrorist organization who have explicitly stated heir intentions for a genocide of the jewish people.

Those teens were kidnapped in a West Bank settlement?

How the **** did Hamas build a tunnel from Gaza to the West Bank?

And please oh please offer us with proof that Hamas did it because it has been proven to be false
Original post by MichaelYEAH
Hey guys, I was wondering if someone could put what is happening in Gaza in simplistic terms.

My dad described it as basically the Israeli (who I had to then confirm were the Jews) are fighting Palestinians (The arabs) who are in a terrorist group. He said that the Israelis are trying to find and clear out the tunnels the terrorist group uses and to basically get rid of them.

BUT, I know that Israelis and Palestinians have never got on because of religious matters and I was also wondering why people mention the holocaust. In this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O5zgXeCynQ
a lady mentions the holocaust and it causes a lot of drama and i'm not too sure as to why? Is she comparing what is happening in the east to the holocaust? If someone could clarify, that would be great.

A final question, is who is morally right and who is morally wrong in this conflict? Or is that a question which is far too complicated to answer in simplistic terms?

Your dad meant by "terrorist group": Hamas! The war now, if we can call it war, is between: Hamas and Israel! Palestinians are there just to be killed... they are not a part of it! So, both Hamas and Israel want to kill: Israel wants to kill the civilians (Genocide) by bombing houses and using high-tech weapons in order to take control of the rest of Palestine territory; Hamas wants to destroy Israel because they think that Zionists have no right to be there (in palestine) ... The poor Palestinians are paying the whole thing, they are starving: Israel deprived them of food, water and electricity... They are the only victim and it is our duty to help them in a way or another!! This Genocide must come to an end !!
Reply 4903
Original post by becketts
A lot stems from after WW2, when the Jews were promised Palestine due to how they were treated in the holocaust. However, allegedly, the Arabs stole this land that the Jews were promised. This has sparked many conflicts, arguably including the Gaza conflict.

Where are you getting this from! How can you steal land if it already belongs to you.
Original post by tsr1269

I'm guessing you don't know what a unilateral ceasefire is.

I do understand, but why would the palestinians not seize this opportunity?

If you're losing and your enemy declares a ceasefire, why would you then increase your attacks to provoke the enemy into breaking their ceasefire?

Seems like the palestinians want to create more trouble?
This is Gaza. The red circles indicate open ground, the blue circles indicate open ground with some population areas.

There is clearly enough room for Hamas to operate away from the civilian population - yet they choose to embed themselves into civilian areas, why?

Original post by ezmae
Britain gave them the land, I think Palestine was under British rule at the time

Yes! Zionists were like:" we promise you ( England) to make the USA get involved in the world war so that you can win it , but you have to give us Palestine" ... And that was the curse! Palestine was given to the Zionists !
Democratically elected Hamas started firing rockets into Israel, killing a few people. Israel also claimed people were kidnapped although that was found out to be false propaganda a little while ago.
Now Israel is defending itself by levelling the Gaza strip and killing hundreds of people.
Personally I don't care about Jews or Muslims, they can carry on killing each other.
Original post by B2 Spirit
I do understand, but why would the palestinians not seize this opportunity?

If you're losing and your enemy declares a ceasefire, why would you then increase your attacks to provoke the enemy into breaking their ceasefire?

Seems like the palestinians want to create more trouble?

Why would the Israeli's declare a ceasefire if they are winning?

Military protocol suggests that you give no quarter to the enemy and declaring a ceasefire is foolhardy if you are winning, as you want the enemy to be not only disorientated and unable to regroup which weakens their effectiveness as a fighting force.

There is no need to call for a ceasefire if you are winning...
Original post by tsr1269
Why would the Israeli's declare a ceasefire if they are winning?

Military protocol suggests that you give no quarter to the enemy and declaring a ceasefire is foolhardy if you are winning, as you want the enemy to be not only disorientated and unable to regroup which weakens their effectiveness as a fighting force.

There is no need to call for a ceasefire if you are winning...

Why are you evading the question by asking another question? seems a bit whataboutary.

Or are you seriously suggesting the palestinians are winning?

In which case, why are you complaining about their casualties? surely if they are winning you should be in quite a good mood?

Why are you blaming Israel (the losing side apparently) of killing palestinians when they're winning?

Are you feeling ok?
Original post by Sic semper erat
I believe Uganda was offered during Hertzl's time, in the late 1800s. Clearly no relevance to events in WWII.

1903 to be exact.

Israel was offered by the British in 1917, so... yeah... offered, lol

I suggest you go and examine the Balfor Declaration in greater detail....
Original post by B2 Spirit
Why are you evading the question by asking another question? seems a bit whataboutary.

Or are you seriously suggesting the palestinians are winning?

In which case, why are you complaining about their casualties? surely if they are winning you should be in quite a good mood?

Why are you blaming Israel (the losing side apparently) of killing palestinians when they're winning?

In which case, why would they offer a ceasefire?

I have already explained to you what military logic and protocol dictates...

Are you feeling ok?

Perfectly fine.
Israel can flatten Gaza in 5 minutes and turn it into a glass parking lot. Clearly (and unfortunately) the IDF of today doesnt care about winning, they seem to just want to get rid of the tunnels and weaken (but not overthrow) Hamas. Even in 2009 during Operation Cast Lead with only 13 Israeli deaths (4 from friendly fire) and a severely weakened Hamas, Israel still didnt invade Gaza or get rid of Hamas.

So they want no end to the conflict?

There's a reason why I mentioned Sharon and Begin and Moshe Dayan. If they were in charge they would have flattened Gaza and built hundreds of settlements on top of it.

Good thing or bad thing?
Original post by MASTER265
I have said on countless occasions and I will say it again on this thread, highlight the morally wrong actions of Hamas and I will happily admit to the faults of Israel in this conflict. Too often we have criticised Israel and on some instances rightly so but in no way should Hamas walk away clean as they too have blood on their hands. This whole thread has been one sided.

Regarding the "Fight against terrorism" statement please do not be naive. It is a universally used statement to illustrate the global struggle against Islamic extremists. It has been used on the media, NGO and governmental stage. Pointing out stupid technicalities within my literacy is masking the real debate here.

I assume you side with Israel because very few pro Palestinian supporters on here acknowledge the fact that most of the world and even Hamas themselves(how ironic) identify it as a terrorist organisation.

Did you know not once have I asked for a source of information from you guys as I am old enough and able enough to search it for myself. However if you need me to find it for you and waste a portion of this day so be it but at least specify a legitimate source in your books, are we talking governmental data, NGO data, UN data, EU data...give me an idea because something tells me you are likely to disregard anything I post in an instance if it does not fit the criteria.

That's not how it works. If you assert something like "Hamas uses human shields" then the burden of responsibility is on you to support that statement with credible evidence. It is not anybody else's responsibility. If you cannot provide such evidence then nobody has any reason to believe what you are saying, and so has no reason to go and do your job for you.

"It is a universally used statement to illustrate the global struggle against Islamic extremists" - No it isn't 'universally used'. I don't use it. That proves it isn't 'universally used'.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by tsr1269
In which case, why would they offer a ceasefire?

international pressure , humanitarian reasons for aid to reach casualties for regular palestinians.

why would hamas repeatedly refuse /breach ceasefires??
I studied it at high school, with wider reading here and there. Its all very fascinating, but irrelevant to solving the current situation.

But apparently quite relevant for the substantiation of the State of Israel in Arabia, it seems...
Original post by Meenglishnogood
international pressure , humanitarian reasons for aid to reach casualties for regular palestinians.

But I thought Israel doesn't care about "international pressure", judging by some of the posts here by pro-Israeli's...

why would hamas repeatedly refuse /breach ceasefires??

I don't think they have actually breached any ceasefires.

If you want to know why they "refuse them", then why don't you ask them?
I have no idea, pretty stupid though to spend all this money to weaken but not destroy Hamas, when its pretty obvious in a couple years Hamas will rearm and another conflict will once again happen.

Well, Israel seems to like it like that.

Personally I'm a big fan of settlements, but that's just my opinion

An opinion, I'm sure many of your compatriots would also share...
I did not fully go through much previous conversations here, lol. Was in the office most of today

I meant, the BD is quite relevant to Israeli's as they feel it substantiates their claim to a Jewish State in the middle of Arabia.

The situation is quite ironic...
Original post by MASTER265

Wow just wow LMFAO you really have no argument in this debate and once again instead of focusing on the issue you have talked a load of bull****. No point wasting my time with you.

Was the bold highlighted quote there to annoy me or just be a troll because seriously WTF

No, it's simply meant to illustrate that saying that "Fight against terrorism" is 'universally used', in response to my point that you can't fight against terrorism (which is a tactic), means absolutely nothing. It is not 'universally' used, and my not using it quite clearly demonstrates that. In fact, a large number of educated people would - and do - find fault with such a concept.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest