The Student Room Group

University College Maastricht

I am looking to apply to UCM around October time, to study there in September 2015 :smile:

I was wondering if anyone currently studies the Liberal Arts and Sciences course at UCM and would be able to tell me a bit about it.

What's the teaching like?

What grades do you need to get in? (I have heard for unis in the Netherlands you need to pass, but is it different for university college and liberal arts programmes?)

How is it settling in as a foreign student? (I'm English and live in England)

Is it easy to find a flat/house etc?

Is it easy to apply via studielink, like UCAS in anyway?

It looks like a super course to me, and I've also looked into the Liberal arts courses in The Hauge, Amsterdam and Utrecht... Info on them would also be cool if anyone has any :smile:

Many thanks, Mia :biggrin:
Reply 1
Hello Mia,
I saw your post and decided to give you some general information about the Netherlands and Liberal Arts programs.
My name is Zhasmina Kostadinova, originally I am from Bulgaria but the Last two years I am a full-time student in Tilburg University, Bachelor degree of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
I know that you are looking for more information about Maastricht, but let me tell you more about my own experience as a Liberal Arts student.
In high school I was really good at Math and Physics, so I thought I should continue studying something with those subjects. When I started looking for Universities I really liked the idea of Liberal Arts and Sciences programs.
What confused me in Maastricht is the courses I can take. It was just me to want more freedom and philosophy. I really wanted to get basic knowledge about different topics. I wanted to have some real Business, Philosophy, Social Sciences knowledge, and then to go on for the hard science.
I Maastricht I did not found what I was searching, but I found it in Tilburg University.
First, in Tilburg University the tuition fee is cheaper - around 2000euros per academic year. While in UCM is more than 3000 euros.
Second, Tilburg is known as student city - very international. Maastricht is quite typical Dutch city.
Third, Liberal Arts in UCM is huge - you can lose yourself quite easily. I mean that you can choose from so many courses that at the end you dont know how to connect them. And in order to continue your education further, with a Master degree you need certain courses.
In Tilburg I saw that there is half fixed programme and half you choose. Also, your choices are examined carefully so that at the end you can enter the Master programme you want.
I found my real passion - Law. That is why I am a major of Law in Europe now. My minor is Technologies. I am specializing in Law and Technologies - Internet Development, Security, and so on.
I would advise you to check Tilburg University as well.
https://www.tilburguniversity.edu/education/bachelors-programs/liberal-arts-and-sciences/

PS: If you have any questions, dont hesitate to pm me.
Reply 2
Original post by JasminaK
Hello Mia,
I saw your post and decided to give you some general information about the Netherlands and Liberal Arts programs.
My name is Zhasmina Kostadinova, originally I am from Bulgaria but the Last two years I am a full-time student in Tilburg University, Bachelor degree of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
I know that you are looking for more information about Maastricht, but let me tell you more about my own experience as a Liberal Arts student.
In high school I was really good at Math and Physics, so I thought I should continue studying something with those subjects. When I started looking for Universities I really liked the idea of Liberal Arts and Sciences programs.
What confused me in Maastricht is the courses I can take. It was just me to want more freedom and philosophy. I really wanted to get basic knowledge about different topics. I wanted to have some real Business, Philosophy, Social Sciences knowledge, and then to go on for the hard science.
I Maastricht I did not found what I was searching, but I found it in Tilburg University.
First, in Tilburg University the tuition fee is cheaper - around 2000euros per academic year. While in UCM is more than 3000 euros.
Second, Tilburg is known as student city - very international. Maastricht is quite typical Dutch city.
Third, Liberal Arts in UCM is huge - you can lose yourself quite easily. I mean that you can choose from so many courses that at the end you dont know how to connect them. And in order to continue your education further, with a Master degree you need certain courses.
In Tilburg I saw that there is half fixed programme and half you choose. Also, your choices are examined carefully so that at the end you can enter the Master programme you want.
I found my real passion - Law. That is why I am a major of Law in Europe now. My minor is Technologies. I am specializing in Law and Technologies - Internet Development, Security, and so on.
I would advise you to check Tilburg University as well.
https://www.tilburguniversity.edu/education/bachelors-programs/liberal-arts-and-sciences/

PS: If you have any questions, dont hesitate to pm me.

Thankyou for your reply :smile:
Sounds great, glad you're enjoying it

Im not set on any particular masters at the moment, which is why a wide range of subjects appeals to me

Tilburg looks like a beautiful city!
Reply 3
Moreover, I want to answer your questions.

Teaching in the Netherlands is amazing. The Dutch professors are highly educated with education from top-world universities. They are giving amazing interactive lectures and its always a lot of serious fun.
What grades do you need to get in? (I have heard for unis in the Netherlands you need to pass, but is it different for university college and liberal arts programmes?)
The grades - it really depends on the your country of origin. For England, I found that for particularly Tilburg Uni you have to have this requirements:
United KingdomGeneral Certificate of Secondary Education in 3 subjects with marks ranging from A*-C, plus a General Certificate of Education with 3 subjects at advanced level A-D (six different subjects in total)

You can check if it is the same for Maastricht, but usually the requirements are the same everywhere. Just in case check it for Maastricht
The setting is amazing. The northern you go in the Netherlands, the more international environment you get into. Around 80% of the people speak English, so it would not be a problem to ask anyone for help.

Studielink is very easy, you dont have to pay anything. you just register there.
Reply 4
I visited both UCM and UCU last year. Pm me if you have any questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by miacooper
I am looking to apply to UCM around October time, to study there in September 2015 :smile:

I was wondering if anyone currently studies the Liberal Arts and Sciences course at UCM and would be able to tell me a bit about it.

It looks like a super course to me, and I've also looked into the Liberal arts courses in The Hauge, Amsterdam and Utrecht... Info on them would also be cool if anyone has any :smile:

Hi Mia, I am English and studying at UCM! I was looking for information about study finance when I found your post and thought I would help you out- I remember how confusing it all is:smile:

The teaching varies from module to module, but generally it is very good! However, you are expected to do a lot of independent study- the tutors are there to guide the tutorials, and answer any questions you may have. They are usually very friendly and knowledgeable.

Unlike in Old Blighty, The Dutch understand the flaws in examining ones intelligence and capabilities with a standardised exam system. They believe that everyone should be given a chance at higher education, thus the required grades are very low. When I applied, the only condition was that I passed two A-levels and had 5 GCSEs! It should be the same now... However, UCM is quite competitive so they require a 'letter of recommendation' (similar to a personal statement) at application level. If they like it they will give you an interview, and offer you a place if they think you are suited to the college. This is the nice thing about UCM- they base their decision entirely on your personality and interests.

I found it very easy settling in. I would highly recommend joining INKOM (the Dutch version of Freshers, but a lot less tacky)- I met a lot of my current friends there! UCM is an EXTREMELY friendly place, so I had no trouble getting to know my fellow freshmen and other students- as there is plenty of social events and a handy intro week (after INKOM). I didn't get too much of a culture shock either. Because Maastricht is a very international city, and closed to the German and Belgian borders, you never really feel like an outsider- especially as the Brits are everywhere! (Seriously... I couldn't believe how many British people are there).

Accommodation in Maastricht is generally quite expensive but not necessarily! It all depends on how far away you live from the centre and of course, the quality of place you decide to rent. They do not really have halls for full-time students, but for my first year I rented a room in a 4 person flat from 'guesthouse'- the university's own housing association. Other than being unlucky with the house mates I ended up with this was very useful. The rent was all inclusive and I was very close to the centre. The rent was a little pricey, but whenever something went wrong they would come and fix it for free. Whatever you do, I would highly recommend getting somewhere inclusive as Dutch bureaucracy is a little difficult to deal with when you don't speak the language! Some people also choose to live in Belgium, but come across problems with commuting, tuition fee loans, banking and phone contracts. Here are a few useful sites;
http://www.maastrichthousing.com/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/116816401678059/

Personally I found Studielink a lot more efficient than UCAS, but to be honest- I didn't bother with UCAS too long after I discovered UCM!

Good luck with everything :-)
Reply 6
Original post by MimW95
Hi Mia, I am English and studying at UCM! I was looking for information about study finance when I found your post and thought I would help you out- I remember how confusing it all is:smile:

The teaching varies from module to module, but generally it is very good! However, you are expected to do a lot of independent study- the tutors are there to guide the tutorials, and answer any questions you may have. They are usually very friendly and knowledgeable.

Unlike in Old Blighty, The Dutch understand the flaws in examining ones intelligence and capabilities with a standardised exam system. They believe that everyone should be given a chance at higher education, thus the required grades are very low. When I applied, the only condition was that I passed two A-levels and had 5 GCSEs! It should be the same now... However, UCM is quite competitive so they require a 'letter of recommendation' (similar to a personal statement) at application level. If they like it they will give you an interview, and offer you a place if they think you are suited to the college. This is the nice thing about UCM- they base their decision entirely on your personality and interests.

I found it very easy settling in. I would highly recommend joining INKOM (the Dutch version of Freshers, but a lot less tacky)- I met a lot of my current friends there! UCM is an EXTREMELY friendly place, so I had no trouble getting to know my fellow freshmen and other students- as there is plenty of social events and a handy intro week (after INKOM). I didn't get too much of a culture shock either. Because Maastricht is a very international city, and closed to the German and Belgian borders, you never really feel like an outsider- especially as the Brits are everywhere! (Seriously... I couldn't believe how many British people are there).

Accommodation in Maastricht is generally quite expensive but not necessarily! It all depends on how far away you live from the centre and of course, the quality of place you decide to rent. They do not really have halls for full-time students, but for my first year I rented a room in a 4 person flat from 'guesthouse'- the university's own housing association. Other than being unlucky with the house mates I ended up with this was very useful. The rent was all inclusive and I was very close to the centre. The rent was a little pricey, but whenever something went wrong they would come and fix it for free. Whatever you do, I would highly recommend getting somewhere inclusive as Dutch bureaucracy is a little difficult to deal with when you don't speak the language! Some people also choose to live in Belgium, but come across problems with commuting, tuition fee loans, banking and phone contracts. Here are a few useful sites;
http://www.maastrichthousing.com/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/116816401678059/

Personally I found Studielink a lot more efficient than UCAS, but to be honest- I didn't bother with UCAS too long after I discovered UCM!

Good luck with everything :-)

This was extremely helpful, thank you so much! :biggrin:
Reply 7
Hi guys, I am also interested in studying liberal arts in Netherlands: be it Maastricht or Amsterdam or Tilburg or whatever. I face a bit of a quandary. I worked very hard last year for a levels and I've just had results that could get me into any university in England but I feel as though the astronomical fees might outweigh the increased earning power any prestigious degree might grant you. I'm particularly interested in studying international relations, politics and languages in my liberal arts course and currently have a place at UCL to do these, but I can't shake the idea of debt reaching upwards of 50 grand. Do you think an employer might look down upon a Dutch university in comparison with the historically prestigious uk unis? I'm taking a gap year so I have time to decide but I'm really worried I might "test the river with two feet", make a huge financial deposit into UCL and find that I could have had a great experience in the Netherlands for a far lesser cost. I would appreciate absolutely any feedback to do with what I've been talking about since I feel a bit lost! Many thanks in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Hi All. I'm seriously considering applying to Maastricht for Liberal Arts and Sciences for entry in 2015. My AS levels have not been as good as I expected although there were mitigating circumstances (however my head is not particularly helpful when it comes to these sorts of matters). MyGCSEs were all A orA*. Will this hamper my attempts to get in to Maastricht?

Also how is the Liberal Arts and Sciences degree from Maastricht valued by potential employers?

Is there any benefit to me applying early (now!)? How long would it take to get reply? Will I have to attend an interview?

Thank you for any help.
Reply 9

Hey Mia,

I am also applying in October for a Sept 2015 start date and am English; hope to do European Studies. I have spent a hell of a lot of time looking into the university and it seems in terms of settling in it's quite an easy process. This INKOM they do looks amazing and I love the fact they put you in random groups and have set events unlike in the UK - although I'd still be extremely nervous as one of my aims going to uni is to make friends.

Unfortunately I don't know anything about the entry requirements for Liberal arts, sorry :frown: I have yet to find a firm page outlining the exact grades they want other than simply 3 A2s (I got CCD) - I think though that if people interest and.. common sense :biggrin:? then they will get a place at Maastricht.

It was only 2 weeks ago that I changed my mind and decided to go to uni other than carry on working full time so I still have lots of research to do in terms of moving out there/accommodation - but glad there's another on here for a Sept 2015 date :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Logy
Hi All. I'm seriously considering applying to Maastricht for Liberal Arts and Sciences for entry in 2015. My AS levels have not been as good as I expected although there were mitigating circumstances (however my head is not particularly helpful when it comes to these sorts of matters). MyGCSEs were all A orA*. Will this hamper my attempts to get in to Maastricht?

Also how is the Liberal Arts and Sciences degree from Maastricht valued by potential employers?

Is there any benefit to me applying early (now!)? How long would it take to get reply? Will I have to attend an interview?

Thank you for any help.

Hey mate, I don't think you can apply right now for 2015. I logged in last night and there wasn't the option to select 2015-2016. I wouldn't worry though, wait until October time and then make a start - isn't it April/May they accept applications till?

Also don't worry about your grades. From reading about, the Dutch seem to want to give everyone the chance to go to uni. I've come out of A2 with CCD and initially worried no where abroad would take them, but Maastricht in particular seems lenient - they just expect you to put the work in once there. For many of us in the UK school/college (A levels) just doesn't work out and I think it's fantastic that there's a institution in a beautiful location that allows people to reach their full potential (plus the chance to meet awesome Europeans and nationals from all over :biggrin:).

Hopefully we'll have quite a few on here heading off to Maastricht next year :redface:
Hi! I also want to apply to Maastricht at the International Track in Medicine programme. I'm going to apply next year but I have encountered a problem. Since I am at a Mathematics-Informatics profile I only have on hour of Biology per week. I've heard that I'll have to take an exam(I'm still waiting for their response to my e-mail) and I would like to know if anyone here has taken such an exam before and how is it? I already have the cae exam at grade B, pretty good marks and I'm having the baccalaureat exam next year. They also told me that no specific mark is required at this exam, just to pass it. Do you think I have any chances to be accepted?
Reply 12

Hi Mia, have you sent in your application to UCM? I'm also applying for Sept 2015 intake, and it's nice to see someone else on here that is doing the same thing :smile:
Reply 13

Hey guys! I would like to study next year at the University College Maastricht and I'm doing the application now. However, I've also applied to the Bsc of Psychology at Maastricht University, as a plan B. Now, I've already uploaded all the documents for psychology included a letter of Motivation and when I'm trying to upload the documents for UCM, it sends me to the same page on MyUM as psychology, so basically they receive both letters together? Does that mean they can read both letters and how will they know which one is for which course? I just don't get this application process and I'm wondering if I should cancel my application for psychology (because I prefer theUCM), but then I would have no plan B. Help please😩😨

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone knew much about accommodation? I want to book some soon as I have heard it is oversubscribed and I will definitely be using the UM Guesthouse as it seems like by far the best way to secure accommodation from the UK and I want to live near a lot of other students to approximate the social experience of British uni halls. I am looking on the Maastricht Housing site now, and I am in two minds about whether to apply for a room in the Bosquetplein/Zwingelput accommodation complex close to UCM on which 38 Bachelors and Masters students live (because it would be lovely to be able to roll out of bed at 8.50 for a 9 am class!) and the building on Brauersweg where apparently up to a couple of hundred students live in the building, and the rooms also look nicer but it is 20 minutes further away from UCM... Do any current students have a view on which is preferable? Above is all the information I currently have, so any insight which might affect my decision would be super helpful e.g. if one or the other is a particular social hub or has a higher concentration of Bachelors vs postgrad students or either has outstandingly better facilities?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending