The Student Room Group

Apply for job or not?

Hi all,

I already have a part time job however, I've come across a full time temp job which is only a week long but it clashes with 2/3 of my shifts, now the temp job is an telephone line assistant (so answering/transferring telephone calls) and I've worked for the organisation before albeit in a different role. My dilemma is whether I should apply for this temp job or not, like how much would a 1 week job benefit my CV? I've already had a few jobs and I've just finished my 1st year of Uni however, I just wanted to experience what it would be like working as a telephone/support line assistant because I have no idea what I want to do career wise so I think working in as many different environments as possible may help me to decide. But anyway to you reckon it's worth the hassle of finding cover etc or should I just stick to the part time job and research possible careers online/spend more time thinking about what I'm going to do next year? :s-smilie: Thank you
Original post by Fortitude
x

So it's just a one week thing? If that's the case, you could try arrange cover for your shifts that week or try book that week off as a holiday.

And you say you have no idea what you want to do career wise. By this do you mean you don't know what job you want relating to your Uni course, or do you mean that you have absolutely no idea at all what job or even industry you want to work in?
Reply 2
Original post by TornadoGR4
So it's just a one week thing? If that's the case, you could try arrange cover for your shifts that week or try book that week off as a holiday.

And you say you have no idea what you want to do career wise. By this do you mean you don't know what job you want relating to your Uni course, or do you mean that you have absolutely no idea at all what job or even industry you want to work in?

I could arrange cover but it would be a bit of a hassle, I won't be able to book a holiday as I said I would be available to work all summer. I know that I don't want to do anything relating to my Uni course (Biology) as most require a lot of further study plus I don't have much interest in actually becoming a scientist. I don't have any idea in regards to which industry/career, I guess I'm quite open minded and wouldn't mind most jobs as long as I liked the environment I worked in. :redface:
Reply 3
Basically I don't know if I actually need more experience in lots of different areas or if I need to just sit down and think and research about careers
I think you need to just sit down and think and research about careers - tbh one week answering and forwarding on telephone calls really isn't going to help you get a graduate level job - and I doubt you have aspirations of a career in a call centre for the rest of your life...
Have you spoken to someone at your university's careers department? They should be able to suggest to you a range of non-scientific careers where your biology degree will still help you - for example jobs in the financial sector, marketing, business management, teaching etc. don't generally require a specific degree, but the analytical/ numerical/ writing/ research skills from your Biology degree could help you stand out against someone with e.g. an Arts degree :smile: They may also be able to help you apply for work experience placements/ internships/ temporary jobs of more interest to you :smile:
x

The answer below is absolutely spot on. I think you need to work out what you want to do as a career, something you would like to do for the rest of your life. I'd definitely see a careers advisor if I was in your situation. I found myself having no idea what I wanted to do a few years ago and it's actually quite daunting. Made me feel like I had to be working towards something before everyone else snaps up all the opportunities leaving you in a repetitive, monotonous career for the unlucky and unambitious :yes:

Original post by dragonkeeper999
I think you need to just sit down and think and research about careers - tbh one week answering and forwarding on telephone calls really isn't going to help you get a graduate level job - and I doubt you have aspirations of a career in a call centre for the rest of your life...
Have you spoken to someone at your university's careers department? They should be able to suggest to you a range of non-scientific careers where your biology degree will still help you - for example jobs in the financial sector, marketing, business management, teaching etc. don't generally require a specific degree, but the analytical/ numerical/ writing/ research skills from your Biology degree could help you stand out against someone with e.g. an Arts degree :smile: They may also be able to help you apply for work experience placements/ internships/ temporary jobs of more interest to you :smile:
Reply 6

Thank you!! And no I don't have aspirations for a career in a call centre and I haven't spoken to anyone yet, but I definitely will when I go back, thank you I guess that's what I needed to hear, that's put it into perspective! Thanks!!:smile::smile:
Reply 7
Original post by TornadoGR4
The answer below is absolutely spot on. I think you need to work out what you want to do as a career, something you would like to do for the rest of your life. I'd definitely see a careers advisor if I was in your situation. I found myself having no idea what I wanted to do a few years ago and it's actually quite daunting. Made me feel like I had to be working towards something before everyone else snaps up all the opportunities leaving you in a repetitive, monotonous career for the unlucky and unambitious :yes:

Yes, I know exactly what you mean, I guess I was thinking of trying to make up for my lack of direction by taking on lots of different roles which at the end of the day isn't going to make my situation any better especially as they're like short, low responsibility temp jobs. Thanks!!:smile:
Thank you!! And no I don't have aspirations for a career in a call centre and I haven't spoken to anyone yet, but I definitely will when I go back, thank you I guess that's what I needed to hear, that's put it into perspective! Thanks!!:smile::smile:

No problem! Remember your careers department should also be able to help with things like application forms, CVs, interview practice etc. so really make the most of it - don't be afraid to ask for help :smile:
Reply 9
No problem! Remember your careers department should also be able to help with things like application forms, CVs, interview practice etc. so really make the most of it - don't be afraid to ask for help :smile:

Thank you :h: I will definitely try to make the most of the careers department :smile:
Reply 10
Hiya. If you want to make a bit of extra money on the side then please PM me. Looking for motivated people to be a part of my team promoting make up products x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply