The Student Room Group

Big Four Application processes

I am planning on applying to:
1) KPMG School leavers programme
2) Deloitte Scholar Scheme
3) PwC Flying Start degree
they all require aptitude tests such as verbal, numerical, SJT, E tray, etc... and just wanted to know what the best way to practice them would be? Ive heard that Greenturn and Assessment Day are frequently used?

thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i've got a place on the KPMG school leavers programme.

The SJT is really not worth practising for- its common sense.

As for verbal/numerical, KPMG sent me a few practice tests for each, and that's all I did; and I got in the 98th percentile for verbal and in the 92nd for maths (i.e. top 2% and 8%). For me, what they sent was enough, but for others I'm not sure I guess. Really all you need to practice is working quickly but accurately- the tests are marked with speed AND accuracy in mind- its better to answer only half of the questions but get every one that you do correct that answer every question but only get 1 more than half correct.

I'm sure there are some free online practice tests somewhere, I've heard that the ones you pay for are very hit and miss.
Original post by stirkee
i've got a place on the KPMG school leavers programme.

The SJT is really not worth practising for- its common sense.

As for verbal/numerical, KPMG sent me a few practice tests for each, and that's all I did; and I got in the 98th percentile for verbal and in the 92nd for maths (i.e. top 2% and 8%). For me, what they sent was enough, but for others I'm not sure I guess. Really all you need to practice is working quickly but accurately- the tests are marked with speed AND accuracy in mind- its better to answer only half of the questions but get every one that you do correct that answer every question but only get 1 more than half correct.

I'm sure there are some free online practice tests somewhere, I've heard that the ones you pay for are very hit and miss.

Hi,

Well done and congratulations. Which office and uni are going to? Are you starting 2014?
Reply 3
Original post by Kutie Karen
Hi,

Well done and congratulations. Which office and uni are going to? Are you starting 2014?

Newcastle office and Durham Uni :smile:

and yes, start in a couple of weeks time actually!
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can tell me the best way to get to Durham campus for this scheme from London . I won't have anyone dropping me off by car and I have to take all my stuff there as well. Can anyone give me the best options for me especially with all my things as well.

thanks
:smile:
Reply 5
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can tell me the best way to get to Durham campus for this scheme from London . I won't have anyone dropping me off by car and I have to take all my stuff there as well. Can anyone give me the best options for me especially with all my things as well.

thanks
:smile:

hey,

its not actually at Durham, its at the stockton campus.

Best way would be train from London to Darlington (there are direct trains :smile:) and then a taxi from Darlington to the campus (it'll be about a 10-15 minute taxi ride).
(edited 9 years ago)
I think its just best to get stuck into an application, don't worry about the tests until you've passed the initial sift
Original post by stirkee
hey,

its not actually at Durham, its at the stockton campus.

Best way would be train from London to Darlington (there are direct trains :smile:) and then a taxi from Darlington to the campus (it'll be about a 10-15 minute taxi ride).

Hi,

Do you know where I catch the train from London and roughly how much will be roughly for both the train and cab? Roughly, how long will the journey be? I am getting a bit stressed with trying to work out how to manage all this.
Reply 8
Hi,

Do you know where I catch the train from London and roughly how much will be roughly for both the train and cab? Roughly, how long will the journey be? I am getting a bit stressed with trying to work out how to manage all this.

Hiya

you want to catch an east coast train from Kings Cross to Darlington. The journey is approximately 3 hours I think!

As for how much it costs, honestly I have no idea. This is gonna sound incredibly snobby but when I go to London I always travel first class, because my dad has a lot of free tickets as he uses the train so much. The car journey from Darlington Station to the campus isn't too long... I said 10-15mins before but its probably more like 15 to be honest.
Original post by stirkee
Hiya

you want to catch an east coast train from Kings Cross to Darlington. The journey is approximately 3 hours I think!

As for how much it costs, honestly I have no idea. This is gonna sound incredibly snobby but when I go to London I always travel first class, because my dad has a lot of free tickets as he uses the train so much. The car journey from Darlington Station to the campus isn't too long... I said 10-15mins before but its probably more like 15 to be honest.

That is really very helpful. How do you get free tickets? I only ever in London so don't know much about traveling on trains. It's good you can travel first class that really would be a luxury for me. I will look into it and get my head around it. Have you visited the campus?
That is really very helpful. How do you get free tickets? I only ever in London so don't know much about traveling on trains. It's good you can travel first class that really would be a luxury for me. I will look into it and get my head around it. Have you visited the campus?

My dad uses the train that much that he just has piles of free tickets, they're like reward type things I think, "buy x tickets and get rewarded with a free one". I don't really know!

Yeah I have as I live fairly nearby. The campus itself is very nice and modern, though the area its in is pretty meh (a bit run-down in places, you know). Its right next to a big shopping area though.
Original post by stirkee
My dad uses the train that much that he just has piles of free tickets, they're like reward type things I think, "buy x tickets and get rewarded with a free one". I don't really know!

Yeah I have as I live fairly nearby. The campus itself is very nice and modern, though the area its in is pretty meh (a bit run-down in places, you know). Its right next to a big shopping area though.

That is good to hear. I have just been looking on the internet and I think we are at Stephenson College. Do you know how far it is from Thornaby station to the college? Can I take a bus or is it possible to walk from there?
That is good to hear. I have just been looking on the internet and I think we are at Stephenson College. Do you know how far it is from Thornaby station to the college? Can I take a bus or is it possible to walk from there?

You can walk from Thornaby station.

https://www.dur.ac.uk/about/location/
Original post by stirkee
You can walk from Thornaby station.

https://www.dur.ac.uk/about/location/

Hi,

I have seen that but it is not clear to me how long the walk would be from Thornaby station and if there is a bus option especially as I will have loads of stuff to bring with me. Do you know? Also, will they provide us with text books and stationary or shall I go and buy that and should we bring our own laptops?
Hi,

I have seen that but it is not clear to me how long the walk would be from Thornaby station and if there is a bus option especially as I will have loads of stuff to bring with me. Do you know? Also, will they provide us with text books and stationary or shall I go and buy that and should we bring our own laptops?

I've no idea about the length of the walk, sorry. Try google maps! I can't see it being too long as they're clearly inferring that walking is the best option.

Don't know re: text books

KPMG provide you with a laptop.
Original post by stirkee
I've no idea about the length of the walk, sorry. Try google maps! I can't see it being too long as they're clearly inferring that walking is the best option.

Don't know re: text books

KPMG provide you with a laptop.

Will the laptop be available immediately when we start uni or should I bring my own? I have made a start with my things and my gosh it is just so much stuff and things to take and worry about. I really don't know how I will ever get everything up there. For just a few weeks it is just too much to take into consideration. Maybe I should have gone for one of the other uni's where the stay is longer. How are you getting there?
Will the laptop be available immediately when we start uni or should I bring my own? I have made a start with my things and my gosh it is just so much stuff and things to take and worry about. I really don't know how I will ever get everything up there. For just a few weeks it is just too much to take into consideration. Maybe I should have gone for one of the other uni's where the stay is longer. How are you getting there?

I live about 30mins away so I'll just drive my stuff up, I've already applied for a permit to keep my car there so it's pretty easy for me!
Original post by stirkee
I live about 30mins away so I'll just drive my stuff up, I've already applied for a permit to keep my car there so it's pretty easy for me!

Gosh. that is great. You could in theory go home everyday if you wanted but then you would miss out on the "uni" experience. :smile: . I think you should enjoy the uni experience with the rest of us as we won't meet up again for quite a while. I might contact them to change my uni. :confused:
Gosh. that is great. You could in theory go home everyday if you wanted but then you would miss out on the "uni" experience. :smile: . I think you should enjoy the uni experience with the rest of us as we won't meet up again for quite a while. I might contact them to change my uni. :confused:

Oh I will be, thats why I chose Durham as we have the whole year in the 4th year to basically be a normal uni student (but with the added bonus of still being on a full salary!)
I have an offer for the PwC Flying Start Degree at Newcastle (although i don't think I have gotten the grades to get in...but thats another story.)

This is by far the easiest route as it does not require testing as such. You apply, and if they like you, they will send you a kind of form to fill out, and then they decide again if they want to give you an interview. The interview is an hour long and either with someone from Newcastle Uni or PwC. Then there is a group assessment on the same day which is also an hour long. This is a standard type of group assessment where you are given a scenario and then you have to individually plan something then present to your little group and try and argue for your case (its not as hard as it sounds).

But basically, flying start is the easiest of the ones you listed, then i would say KPMG's testing is notoriously the hardest, but the Deloitte scholar scheme is probably the most competitive. My sister works for Deloitte and trust me, its a good place to be.

Quick Reply

Latest