The Student Room Group

SQA Results' Day Discussion Thread - Tuesday 5 August 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 900
Original post by Asklepios
What course do you want to do at university?

For choosing between Maths and Physics, it depends on what would be more useful for your future. In most cases it probably won't make a difference. If you're planning on doing economics/finance I would do maths. If you're planning on physical sciences/engineering then do both! Then look at what you enjoy more and what you would do better in. One thing to consider is that Physics comes with an investigation whereas Maths has no coursework. 3 science investigations would be a heavy, but manageable if organised, workload for sixth year.

For your additional Higher, pick what you enjoy most! Universities will be looking at your AHs anyway so it doesn't really matter too much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

At the moment in thinking medicine. But this could very quickly change within the next 12 hours :/
Second option (like most aspiring doctors) is denistry. If not then something engineering followed by loads and loads of other back ups.
I also think 3 projects may be too hard but I feel I did worst in maths this year out of all my subjects. And bout the higher I enjoy pe more but business could be more beneficial for me due to various reasons
Original post by :D'
At the moment in thinking medicine. But this could very quickly change within the next 12 hours :/
Second option (like most aspiring doctors) is denistry. If not then something engineering followed by loads and loads of other back ups.
I also think 3 projects may be too hard but I feel I did worst in maths this year out of all my subjects. And bout the higher I enjoy pe more but business could be more beneficial for me due to various reasons

For Medicine/Dentistry, physics or maths doesn't matter. For Engineering you should do both maths and physics.

Business won't be any more beneficial than PE. It's not a requirement at all even for business degrees. Have some fun!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Second option (like most aspiring doctors) is denistry.

OH THEY WENT THERE

Posted from TSR Mobile
Might be an idea if I repeat the post I put up earlier so you can decide your plans for the evening...

Officially we say that text and emails will be with you by 9am. For us to do that we have to release the texts particularly in batches over the preceding hours, usually from around 2am (although it has been earlier and later). However, the system selects which texts to send, and when to send them, totally at random. It's not alphabetical, or by school or by location. So yours could arrive any time between 2 and 9. Most will be at the later end. SoiIf you want to wait up potentially all night, then feel free. All I can say is they'll be with you by 9am. Personally I would head for bed.

(The reason for this is that in previous years we promised them by 9am, but some got held up by certain servers outwith our control and ended up being delivered several hours late. Not unreasonably people got upset.)

Having said all that I will be staying up to see the first results come in. Kind of rounds off the year for me. So if you have anything you need to ask int he meantime, ask away.
Original post by She-Ra
Too old for that :wink:

I work for TSR so I'm hanging out in this thread tonight to support you guys! What are you waiting on and what's your plans for September!?

Oh I see, well thank you!:smile:

I'm waiting on Higher Results then moving into my last year at school. Didn't feel ready to leave just yet haha!

inb4 angry dentist wannabes
Me when I get a B in physics

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1407183912.188171.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SerLorasTyrell
Me when I get a B in physics

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1407183912.188171.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sure you'll be awesome!
If you need any help let us know - Good luck buddy
Original post by mobbsy91
I'm sure you'll be awesome!
If you need any help let us know - Good luck buddy

Nothing to do with luck buddy, all our results are done with 100% pure skill
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Memetics

That is true - well if you need any help give us a post and we'll be sure to help!
Right, I'm off of here. Hope everything goes well for all of you. I look forward to popping on in the morning and seeing lots of good news! :biggrin: :woo:
Not long to go now- How is everyone feeling? :h:
Original post by Memetics

20% skill, 80% hard work :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gingerbread101
Not long to go now- How is everyone feeling? :h:

Clothing it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why is dentistry your "back up?" It requires the same grades as medicine and is very often more competitive. You'll need big amounts of work experience (it's more work exp heavy) and to actually be interested in the subject. It looks to me as if you're not committed to this career. Are your parents telling you to make it your back up?

You're also wrong. I don't know one aspiring doctor who has dentistry as a fallback.

Oh, and please spell dentistry correctly if you do want to apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GeschichteJunge

Sure you'll be great!
Original post by natalia2906
Hi Guys!

It honestly feels as if I just finished my exams and now it's only a few hours till results day. Even though I went out of every exam feeling safe/happy I'm still feeling the nerves :frown: I guess it's because of my conditional- I need to get BBC including English and Maths (I've done 4 highers this year). So I shouldn't be so scared but the way I look at it is that my next 4 years of life depend on those results. Those here with unconditional offers, you are so lucky!

Is there many other people here with conditional offers?

PS: I think I might join you here during the night :smile:

I have an unconditional and I'm as nervous as ever for these results. :tongue:
Original post by AspiringMedic8
Why is dentistry your "back up?" It requires the same grades as medicine and is very often more competitive. You'll need big amounts of work experience (it's more work exp heavy) and to actually be interested in the subject. It looks to me as if you're not committed to this career. Are your parents telling you to make it your back up?

You're also wrong. I don't know one aspiring doctor who has dentistry as a fallback.

Oh, and please spell dentistry correctly if you do want to apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I refer you back to post #907

Original post by Pennyarcade
inb4 angry dentist wannabes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good luck guys :smile:

Glad to not be waiting on results.

And whoever said dentistry was the back up choice of most for medicine, I don't think you are right!! Majority of my friends would have a done a science, a few engineering and a few arts :smile: I personally didn't see the attraction in being a dentist, other than it is very well paid - but each to their own as I imagine most dentists wouldn't fancy being doctors.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by GeschichteJunge

Well good luck, you'll do great :yes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending