The Student Room Group
Craiglockhart Campus
Edinburgh Napier University

Safe areas near Napier Sighthill campus?

Hello all! A friend and I will be coming to napier in september to study our masters in wildlife biology and conservation. We're currently looking for accomodation and having difficulty figuring out which places we should avoid? We were told to absolutely not stay in sighthill. Does anybody know if the Drum brae area is safe? Thanks for any help :smile:
Stay away from:

Sighthill
Wester Hailes
Niddrie
Muirhouse
Leith
Craigmiller
Pilton
Craiglockhart Campus
Edinburgh Napier University
Reply 2
Original post by EatAndRevise
Stay away from:

Sighthill
Wester Hailes
Niddrie
Muirhouse
Leith
Craigmiller
Pilton

Aw thats exactly what I was looking for, cheers mate! I seen a couple flats in Clermiston/Drum brae. Do you know that area? Thank you so much
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jodiee182
Aw thats exactly what I was looking for, cheers mate! I seen a couple flats in Clermiston/Drum brae. Do you know that area? Thank you so much

I am not too sure, I have a feeling that Drumbrae is not a good area.

The good areas are:

Morningside
The Grange
Ravelston
Barnton
Bruntsfield
Marchmont
Newington
Inverleith (mostly)
Reply 4
Original post by EatAndRevise
I am not too sure, I have a feeling that Drumbrae is not a good area.

The good areas are:

Morningside
The Grange
Ravelston
Barnton
Bruntsfield
Marchmont
Newington
Inverleith (mostly)

Thank you so much, really appreciate that
Thank you so much, really appreciate that

These areas will be more expensive than the bad areas, if that is an issue.
Hello all! A friend and I will be coming to napier in september to study our masters in wildlife biology and conservation. We're currently looking for accomodation and having difficulty figuring out which places we should avoid? We were told to absolutely not stay in sighthill. Does anybody know if the Drum brae area is safe? Thanks for any help :smile:

Just popped this in the Napier sub forum for you :smile:
You'd be hard pushed to find a decent 2 bed flat for rent in the grange or marchmont for less than £800pcm. Good luck finding anything under £1000pcm in ravelston. Leith is a cool place to live with great transport links, lots of bars and restaurants and reasonable rents.

People that either haven't ever lived in Leith or lived in Leith before the late 90s have a dim view of it, but it has been regenerated and is becoming a trendy area to live. I'd totally recommend it.
Reply 8
Original post by keano2014
You'd be hard pushed to find a decent 2 bed flat for rent in the grange or marchmont for less than £800pcm. Good luck finding anything under £1000pcm in ravelston. Leith is a cool place to live with great transport links, lots of bars and restaurants and reasonable rents.

People that either haven't ever lived in Leith or lived in Leith before the late 90s have a dim view of it, but it has been regenerated and is becoming a trendy area to live. I'd totally recommend it.

Yeah but if you're gonna be studying at Sighthill it's gonna take some time to get there from Leith, especially on the bus.
Reply 9
Best area to look is Colinton and Craiglochart, close to Sighthill but posh and not too expensive!
Original post by iamu
Yeah but if you're gonna be studying at Sighthill it's gonna take some time to get there from Leith, especially on the bus.

Takes about half an hour on the bus and four hours on the tram....
Drum brae is fine, Clermiston OK. Morningside and other areas posted above are really the best areas in Edinburgh but not ideal for students as they cost mega bucks.
There is not a thing wrong with sighthill its the area around sighthill. Ie calders, broomhouse , westerhailes its just unfortunate to be slap bang in the middle and get tarnished with the same brush its mosty working familys in sighthill or over 65s

Quick Reply

Latest