The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pete_91
Nope, FA cup is miles better than the mickey mouse cup. CL and PL are streets ahead though agreed.

You do know both domestic cup competitions basically have the same teams enter?
Original post by Peggles_*
Bilbao are interested in Arteta, and Nacho.

Take them now please, well, Mikel more so than Nacho.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mikel Arteta isn't a traitor, he'll not go to Bilbao. That guy will get baptised in fire when he steps foot in Anoeta.

Monreal is cool.
Original post by sevchenko
Harsh.

Arteta is a very good squad member. His experience and leadership are very valuable to the younger squad members. I can already tell Arteta is going to be like Martinez in the future. He has the making of a great coach, he has a clear footballing philosophy. He's a good candidate to manage Arsenal one day

Monreal is a decent enough back up LB, we need him for depth

If we can get £5m for Arteta then we should take it. With there being heavy rumours we're signing Carvalho then Arteta should be sold. Not too concerned with Monreal, I expect Gibbs to push on this season though so LB isn't a concern.

Posted from TSR Mobilei
Original post by Zerforax

Yeah except in the FA cup big teams play their first teams, in the LC they play their 2nd/3rd/youth teams. Also the importance of the FA cup as the oldest cup competition in the world isn't to be scoffed at. Added to the fact that outside the world cup it was the only viewable football available outside of the UK until the 60s so foreign players hold it in high regard.
Anyone seen that Tony Leen guys tweets? We seem to be getting closer to agreeing a fee.
Original post by Zerforax

Its laughable how you have managed to convince yourself that the FA and Capital One cup have equal prestige, tradition and importance...

Jog on you deluded runt
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2546
Original post by little_tom

Jog on you deluded runt

Lel

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kruz
Anyone seen that Tony Leen guys tweets? We seem to be getting closer to agreeing a fee.

Yeah seems legit. Also interesting to note that Sporting are heavily in debt, a offer of €30m is still hard to refuse for a club in their position. I have a feeling the deal will be €30m up front and add ons totaling €5m if we win the PL/CL, something of that variety.

Also, if this Arteta/Monreal to Bilbao story is true then we should bite their hand of at any offer in the region of £12-15m.

If we manage to get Carvalho, sell Arteta and Monreal and then hijack Liverpool's deal for Moreno :coma:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Peggles_*
Bilbao are interested in Arteta, and Nacho.

Take them now please, well, Mikel more so than Nacho.

Posted from TSR Mobile

MikTets is one of the most intelligent players in our squad. You forget he was a AM when we signed him. Its not his fault he's played out of position. His passing is just :coma: too.
re: carvalho

willing seller, willing buyer.

its Higuain all over again. :moon:
Original post by barneystin
who genuinely and irrefutably is an ITK?

Dean but Darren gets passed on bits and pieces from time to time.
Original post by barneystin
MikTets is one of the most intelligent players in our squad. You forget he was a AM when we signed him. Its not his fault he's played out of position. His passing is just :coma: too.

You basiji?

I'm quite scared with all the dupes how long people have been on this site for?

Could be the same people for years just changing their username? Imagine that...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by trrr
Are you being sarcastic?

No, it's obvious for everyone to see, he's a natural leader in the team hence his appointment to vice captain before 12/13 and he's been de facto captain for a large part of the last 2 years now. He's a top professional also, he took a pay cut to be at Arsenal and has never acted out of line, He sacrificed his long term career to play CDM for Arsenal and has performed competently there. Wenger obviously trusts him

Original post by TheInvincibles14
If we can get £5m for Arteta then we should take it. With there being heavy rumours we're signing Carvalho then Arteta should be sold. Not too concerned with Monreal, I expect Gibbs to push on this season though so LB isn't a concern.

With Verm on his way and if Arteta is sold they'll be a lack of true leadership and experience in the team tbh. Yeah there's Mert but then who else? Flamini, Rosicky, Kos and Diaby don't really scream leadership at me. Arteta been the most committed player at Arsenal imo, he has a better understanding of the game

Don't you think Carvalho, if he came, could learn alot from Arteta? The Boy is only 22 and will be in a new league and country. Arteta experience benefits the whole team. I saw him giving Chambers some words of wisdom last weekend aswell

Arteta on his Footballing philosophy- Sourced from this excellent interview http://www.arsenal.com/news/features/20140522/-i-am-so-proud-to-be-part-of-this-club-

Spoiler

Matt Law (has decent track record with Arsenal news) reporting Carvalho interest. Its definately picking up steam in the mainstream British media now.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/11011540/Arsenal-target-William-Carvalho-as-doubts-emerge-over-50m-move-for-Real-Madrids-Sami-Khedira.html
Original post by Pete_91
Yeah except in the FA cup big teams play their first teams, in the LC they play their 2nd/3rd/youth teams. Also the importance of the FA cup as the oldest cup competition in the world isn't to be scoffed at. Added to the fact that outside the world cup it was the only viewable football available outside of the UK until the 60s so foreign players hold it in high regard.

Arsenal started that trend and it stems more from the fact that the league cup fixtures are at bad times for teams in 4 competitions whereas the FA cup has its own schedule with league games postponed.

Who cares how old a competition is. The European cups are much younger in age yet have more prestige than either domestic trophy.

Original post by little_tom
Its laughable how you have managed to convince yourself that the FA and Capital One cup have equal prestige, tradition and importance...

Jog on you deluded runt

They're both domestic cups, played by the same teams and the big teams play approx 6 games in both competitions to win.

Words like prestige, tradition and importance are just fluff words you're using which have little meaning.

Yes the FA cup gets more coverage and has higher prize money. Yes it gets you an EL spot (but the big clubs dont care about that) and it gets you a place in the community shield.

All those are negligible differences frankly relative to the premier league/european trophies.
The FA cup IS more difficult to win though, because of the better teams that clubs put out. Therefore it's a slightly more respectable trophy to win. Still nothing on a PL or CL though of course.

Agreed with sev about arteta though. I don't want him in the first team this season but he's a good experienced and intelligent player to have in the dressing room, and as a backup/rotation option too.
Reply 2556
Original post by Tom_Ford
Actually think Alexis Sanchez runs Giroud very close in the vanity scales. Taking Giroud's place in the team and in the level of vanity :lol: . A quick search on Google shows entire google search image sections devoted to his "shorts" and "six pack". He is also best mates with his barber... who apparently broke the transfer news of his move to us lol.

Can't make this stuff up lol. Guys already an Arsenal legend in my eyes ha.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1407193758.589560.jpg

Man looks like Almunia though lool
Reply 2557
Kadira's injury record "During four years at Real, Khedira has missed a total of 68 games through injury."

And he hasn't even come across the physicality of the BPL lol. Real gamble with him if he really sticks to his wage demands too.

I got a feeling we'll hit the £100m mark this summer, £40m on two, maybe three players.
Original post by SHOO
Kadira's injury record "During four years at Real, Khedira has missed a total of 68 games through injury."

And he hasn't even come across the physicality of the BPL lol. Real gamble with him if he really sticks to his wage demands too.

I got a feeling we'll hit the £100m mark this summer, £40m on two, maybe three players.

I think its just Carvalho now. Dont think we're in for a striker at all. Chambers seems to be a Verm replacement not a Sagna replacement (which is fine because Verm barely featured in important matches anyway). which leaves debuchy and young hector for RB. makes sense, instead of having 3 RBs
also people who criticise Arteta so much.

It was our ability to be flat track bullies (id say we were one of the most consistent and best flat track bullies) that got us within 7 points of the title. Arteta was crucial to those games. Even against Hull in the final, there strategy was to disrupt arteta and prevent him from playing his game, and it worked, which shows how important he is. Take away arteta, and you might do better against the bigger teams, but not against the likes of Burnley, Crystal Palace and West Brom where is intelligence will be crucial.

(edited 9 years ago)