The Student Room Group

Which medical schools enter clearing?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pectorac
Do you have any evidence for this? It's very convenient you would happen to have a 'friend' (who could be fibbing for all you know), to match the situation.

4 years ago does not match today's standards. It will not happen today. Some medical schools that asked for AAB now ask for a minimum of AAA. Times have changed.

Original post by Pectorac
It doesn't happen. If you didn't get the grades, tough. Even if it did (in a magical world), they all ask for pretty much the same grades so clearing would not be viable. No medical school is going to let someone in with less than AAA.

Definitely happens and recently too, one of my classmates missed her A in chemistry last year and was still let in to Leeds.
Original post by NancyRoseC
Yea, medical schools don't go through clearing, but what you can do is call the day you get your results and ask if there are any spaces. 2 girls in the year above went to plymouth by doing this, despite both getting B's in chem. Just wait for your results and take a gap year? or look for a course in clearing that has an entry into medicine

Seriously? They got into medicine on results day, despite not having an offer and having B's in chemistry?
Original post by simran1996
Oh dear :frown:

I have no offers at all :frown: is my only option to retake the year?

If you get AAA call up all the uni's on results day to see if they have spaces, they sometimes have one or two. Start with any uni's you were interviewed at, then any others you applied to, then random ones. THEN take a gap year if you don't have any luck
From my own experience and what I've known to happen medical schools stick people on waiting lists if you do not gain an offer after interview - therefore they have no real need for clearing. So it may be worth asking your respective universities if they have placed you on the waiting list and where you are on it.

I find it odd how a medical school that interviews would simply let someone through clearing if they had not tested them with their interview process. Seeing that medical schools places so much on the interview.

There was one incident last year where UCAS Track said that Southampton's Faculty of Medicine had put a few places on. However, after people inquired about this, this was for people who had got in through the waiting list and required to set up the contract with UCAS - So it looked like a medical school went into clearing, alas it was not the case :s-smilie:
Original post by .S.K.T.
From my own experience and what I've known to happen medical schools stick people on waiting lists if you do not gain an offer after interview - therefore they have no real need for clearing. So it may be worth asking your respective universities if they have placed you on the waiting list and where you are on it.

I find it odd how a medical school that interviews would simply let someone through clearing if they had not tested them with their interview process. Seeing that medical schools places so much on the interview.

There was one incident last year where UCAS Track said that Southampton's Faculty of Medicine had put a few places on. However, after people inquired about this, this was for people who had got in through the waiting list and required to set up the contract with UCAS - So it looked like a medical school went into clearing, alas it was not the case :s-smilie:

They can call you up for interview then. One of my best friends got into dentistry like that last year - she was called to interview like the day later, and then offered a place. Plus, even if they say you're not on a waiting list/they don't have one, the places that you have already been interviewed at may still offer a place if you call up depending on the demand/how many places they have left/where you actually were.
Original post by joker12345
They can call you up for interview then. One of my best friends got into dentistry like that last year - she was called to interview like the day later, and then offered a place. Plus, even if they say you're not on a waiting list/they don't have one, the places that you have already been interviewed at may still offer a place if you call up depending on the demand/how many places they have left/where you actually were.

Wow! That's really awesome - Being opportunistic has it's merits. :biggrin:
Some of us are old enough to remember when med schools entered clearing; but we can also remember when Cambridge used to clear for its BEd degree.
Original post by .S.K.T.
Wow! That's really awesome - Being opportunistic has it's merits. :biggrin:

I'm by no means saying it works - places are rare and very few. In one of the years I applied (long story short, I had an offer, missed my grades so was calling) there were a couple of places at Kings, something I actually found out about on TSR and then called (though I was calling every single med school anyway.) They confirmed to me they did indeed have places and were screening applicants but obviously only those who had achieved AAA. But yes, you have nothing better to do on results day so may as well give it a go!
Original post by joker12345
Seriously? They got into medicine on results day, despite not having an offer and having B's in chemistry?

it was crazy, teachers couldnt believe it
Any chance places like Imperial or UCL have accepted students who dont meed their conditional offers or rejectees who ring up with good grades?
is it worth phoning up b'ham and barts if i got A*A*A* at A2 (I have 10A* gcse and AAAAA at AS with 93% avg.)
im a UK student and got rejected this year by all 4; got interviews at barts and bham which i kinda messed up. I am not on any waiting list and my interview score at B'ham was crap. Worth phoning up?

Should I phone up other unis which I did not apply to?

Like the other person has said, if you have got AAA or above, you can take a gap year. Taking a gap year, I think, is a very wise decision--in fact, I have read threads on here and most of the people who took gap year are successful the second time round (or even third time). And I must also add: one of my friends, a prospective doctor, is taking a gap year.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by solarplexus
is it worth phoning up b'ham and barts if i got A*A*A* at A2 (I have 10A* gcse and AAAAA at AS with 93% avg.)
im a UK student and got rejected this year by all 4; got interviews at barts and bham which i kinda messed up. I am not on any waiting list and my interview score at B'ham was crap. Worth phoning up?

With those grades I think you should definitely give it a shot.

I don't think phoning other universities will pay off as they usually have sufficient reserve applicants anyway.

Well, you would have nothing to lose by doing so.
Original post by Hippysnake
With those grades I think you should definitely give it a shot.

I don't think phoning other universities will pay off as they usually have sufficient reserve applicants anyway.

hmm kk :smile:

Original post by Chief Wiggum
Well, you would have nothing to lose by doing so.

true :smile:
Original post by nulli tertius
Some of us are old enough to remember when med schools entered clearing; but we can also remember when Cambridge used to clear for its BEd degree.

*shares out her Werthers Originals*
Original post by PQ
*shares out her Werthers Originals*

Unfortunately some of us can remember a time before Werthers Originals were available in the UK.

Here have a spangle!

Certainly no harm in doing so. In fact try phoning them all on the off chance perhaps except Oxbridge.
Reply 38

Original post by FergieD
Erm, medical schools don't usually accept A-levels unless you did them in 2-years.

If you get AAA the year tho you can take a gap-year and re-apply ^_^

unless they've changed their policies recently you can get in with resits - even if you miss the AAA you can still take a gap year to reapply and resit at the same time - I know UEA, Exeter, Plymouth and BSMS allow this without needing extenuating circumstances - there are some special requirements though, like uea require that you got at least B's first time and that for at least one of your retake subjects you're predicted an a*.

They won't really enter clearing as such I don't think - rather if they have any more spaces available they will give offers in august providing you've already been interviewed, got a reasonable score and made the grades
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by tdx
unless they've changed their policies recently you can get in with resits - even if you miss the AAA you can still take a gap year to reapply and resit at the same time - I know UEA, Exeter, Plymouth and BSMS allow this without needing extenuating circumstances - there are some special requirements though, like uea require that you got at least B's first time and that for at least one of your retake subjects you're predicted an a*.

They won't really enter clearing as such I don't think - rather if they have any more spaces available they will give offers in august providing you've already been interviewed, got a reasonable score and made the grades

Hmm, I didn't know you could apply with 3rd year re-sits, thats news to me! interesting though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending