The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Would I be accepted for Law having done an Access course at 18?

As I have mentioned on other threads because my college is axing it's A level courses, I have had to stop A Levels after AS and am now doing an Access to Law course. I would then apply to study a law degree (not my first choice but the only access course I liked the sound of at my college).
I am only 18 at the moment (college has got a special exemption to allow me and some of my old AS class mates to do this course.). If I meet the entry requirements and other requirements will I be rejected because I have done an access course at 18?

Scroll to see replies

I think most uni's look favourably on access courses no matter what age you are. Everyone i know who did access got much more favourable offers from uni's than those who did a-levels and most of them were only 2-3 years older than you. I don't think it will be a problem.
(edited 9 years ago)
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Hieronymus
I think most uni's look favourably on access courses no matter what age you are. Everyone i know who did access got much more favourable offers from uni's than those who did a-levels and most of them were only 2-3 years older than you. I don't think it will be a problem.

Thanks. Have been told by many people that because I am only 18, Uni's wont accept them because I should be doing A-Levels( Would that not technically be illegal through as it's age discrimination).
Original post by stawes
Thanks. Have been told by many people that because I am only 18, Uni's wont accept them because I should be doing A-Levels( Would that not technically be illegal through as it's age discrimination).

I would try ringing a few uni's that you are interested in and asking them.
Original post by stawes

Surely you can just start your A levels at a different college? They would be better in the long term...
I did an Access course and was accepted for Biomedical Sciences, so I don't see why you wont be accepted, assuming you got the necessary grades.

The entry requirements page says Law is accepted, but you will need a minimum of 45 credits at distinction.

http://www.law.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/items/118482.html
Reply 6
Original post by Incubator
Surely you can just start your A levels at a different college? They would be better in the long term...

I could but as I have Autism it would be really hard to find somewhere to start in A2 and get the same extra support I have had at my current college. My parents were not keen on me moving as well( The AS year was a resit year as I had to leave my first college due to several personal problems)
There also wasn't much time as I wasn't told about the axing of the courses until the middle of June and it was not confirmed until the very end of June.
Plus I am away on Results day which some of my class mates were told to come down to other colleges on.
Anyway I've been accepted on to the Access course now so I will try my hardest and hopefully I will get into QM or a another Uni in London( cant leave home so restricted to only a few UNI's.
Original post by stawes
I could but as I have Autism it would be really hard to find somewhere to start in A2 and get the same extra support I have had at my current college. My parents were not keen on me moving as well( The AS year was a resit year as I had to leave my first college due to several personal problems)
There also wasn't much time as I wasn't told about the axing of the courses until the middle of June and it was not confirmed until the very end of June.
Plus I am away on Results day which some of my class mates were told to come down to other colleges on.
Anyway I've been accepted on to the Access course now so I will try my hardest and hopefully I will get into QM or a another Uni in London( cant leave home so restricted to only a few UNI's.

Since you haven't started the Access course yet, I highly recommend that you DO NOT DO IT. Access courses are seen as second rate pretty much everywhere.

Just do distance learning fast track A levels.
Reply 8
Original post by Lightwave
Since you haven't started the Access course yet, I highly recommend that you DO NOT DO IT. Access courses are seen as second rate pretty much everywhere.

I looked into Distance Learning and they were not free( and I could not find anywhere to get loans for it and my parents have no experience in this and wouldn't let me do them anyway. They would not really suit me as I don't work the best at home and would need help to apply to UCAS and stuff. ). I will have a battle on my hand persuading my dad to fill in the financial forms of student loans I doubt he would allow that.
So do you think I wont get in to any Uni in London then. My college tells me people have done the course and got into many Redbrick ad Russell Group University's.
Original post by stawes
I looked into Distance Learning and they were not free( and I could not find anywhere to get loans for it and my parents have no experience in this and wouldn't let me do them anyway. They would not really suit me as I don't work the best at home and would need help to apply to UCAS and stuff. ). I will have a battle on my hand persuading my dad to fill in the financial forms of student loans I doubt he would allow that.
So do you think I wont get in to any Uni in London then. My college tells me people have done the course and got into many Redbrick ad Russell Group University's.

You will only get into those universities if you're the top scoring student in your Access class. I would seriously not recommend doing an Access course, since I have done one myself I know how Access students are discriminated against by the admissions board.

You will need to pay for the distance learning A-levels, doing A-levels at home is not much different from doing Access. In Access you only get around 5-10 hours a week of lesson time, and none of that is helping you with coursework.... You have to do the coursework at home alone, just as you would with A-levels.

You need to convince your parents that A-levels are the way forward, because if you are already doubting that you'll be able to do A-levels at home, I doubt you'll be able to manage to coursework load that Access expect.
Reply 10
You will only get into those universities if you're the top scoring student in your Access class. I would seriously not recommend doing an Access course, since I have done one myself I know how Access students are discriminated against by the admissions board.

You will need to pay for the distance learning A-levels, doing A-levels at home is not much different from doing Access. In Access you only get around 5-10 hours a week of lesson time, and none of that is helping you with coursework.... You have to do the coursework at home alone, just as you would with A-levels.

You need to convince your parents that A-levels are the way forward, because if you are already doubting that you'll be able to do A-levels at home, I doubt you'll be able to manage to coursework load that Access expect.

I cant do that. My dad is not easy to persuade and If I tell him I don't want to do the course there is a chance will call me disgusting names and get quite abusive( He is like that sometimes.)
Anyway we are quite poor and cant afford that much( And my dad wouldn't agree with paying for education. They both left school at first opportunity so have no experience of it. Getting a student loan will be hell for UNI. When I mentioned it last time he refused to believe he would have to fill in forms and called me a lying *******)
Original post by stawes
I cant do that. My dad is not easy to persuade and If I tell him I don't want to do the course there is a chance will call me disgusting names and get quite abusive( He is like that sometimes.)
Anyway we are quite poor and cant afford that much( And my dad wouldn't agree with paying for education. They both left school at first opportunity so have no experience of it. Getting a student loan will be hell for UNI. When I mentioned it last time he refused to believe he would have to fill in forms and called me a lying *******)

It seems you are in a similar position to me when it comes to doing A-levels. My parents wouldn't pay for mine either so I had to do an Access. If Access is really your only shot, then it's better than nothing. Also you don't need to worry about student finance until you start university, they don't provide funding for Access courses.

You will need to convince them to fill in their part of the student finance forms, as without it you wont get the full amount.
Reply 12
It seems you are in a similar position to me when it comes to doing A-levels. My parents wouldn't pay for mine either so I had to do an Access. If Access is really your only shot, then it's better than nothing. Also you don't need to worry about student finance until you start university, they don't provide funding for Access courses.

You will need to convince them to fill in their part of the student finance forms, as without it you wont get the full amount.

Persuading my mum is fine but my Dad is very old fashioned and he wont understand( they don't have any friends and the few people in my family who have been to Uni studied before fees came in.). He is so nasty sometimes at the moment it's very hard to persuade him. Did you manage to get into any UNI's with an Access course.
How much would I lose if he won't fill it in. He wont even tell me how much he earns so there is fair chance he wont fill it in. Especially if it's online as he does not trust the internet.
Original post by stawes
Persuading my mum is fine but my Dad is very old fashioned and he wont understand( they don't have any friends and the few people in my family who have been to Uni studied before fees came in.). He is so nasty sometimes at the moment it's very hard to persuade him. Did you manage to get into any UNI's with an Access course.
How much would I lose if he won't fill it in. He wont even tell me how much he earns so there is fair chance he wont fill it in. Especially if it's online as he does not trust the internet.

I got accepted by all my choices because I got perfect grades, if I hadn't done, I would have got rejected by everywhere. I never attempted to apply for any top level unis simply because they do not accept Access under any circumstances.

It seems that your parents are going to be a big issue when it comes to finance, as they have to fill in the form online, and provide evidence of their financial status. This isn't so that they have to pay your loan back, it's just to check that they're not millionaires who should be paying your tuition fees. Even if they don't fill in the forms, you can still get finance but you'll lose around £3000 per year, which is still survivable. Also if you get good enough grades most universities will offer you a scholarship of £2000-£5000 anyway.

Another option would be to get a part time job while studying this access course, that way you can save up some money to help yourself out while at Uni. Maybe it would be best if you persuade your mum, then have her persuade your Dad. From the sounds of it your Dad is an absolute bellend, but his wife should at least be able to talk the slightest bit of sense into him.
Reply 14
I got accepted by all my choices because I got perfect grades, if I hadn't done, I would have got rejected by everywhere. I never attempted to apply for any top level unis simply because they do not accept Access under any circumstances.

It seems that your parents are going to be a big issue when it comes to finance, as they have to fill in the form online, and provide evidence of their financial status. This isn't so that they have to pay your loan back, it's just to check that they're not millionaires who should be paying your tuition fees. Even if they don't fill in the forms, you can still get finance but you'll lose around £3000 per year, which is still survivable. Also if you get good enough grades most universities will offer you a scholarship of £2000-£5000 anyway.

Another option would be to get a part time job while studying this access course, that way you can save up some money to help yourself out while at Uni. Maybe it would be best if you persuade your mum, then have her persuade your Dad. From the sounds of it your Dad is an absolute bellend, but his wife should at least be able to talk the slightest bit of sense into him.

What sort of Evidence would he have to give. He does not do online banking or has a online mortgage account.
I will be staying at home for Uni so it's only text books and travel costs to pay for once the tuition fees are paid for. My special needs would probably rule out many types of part time jobs as I am not safe to drive and I would not be able to say wait tables because I would drop things.
Original post by stawes
What sort of Evidence would he have to give. He does not do online banking or has a online mortgage account.
I will be staying at home for Uni so it's only text books and travel costs to pay for once the tuition fees are paid for. My special needs would probably rule out many types of part time jobs as I am not safe to drive and I would not be able to say wait tables because I would drop things.

Based on your previous threads and what you've said in this thread, I'd get out of that place as soon as possible. Learn to live on your own and handle yourself, surely that's better than being bullied by your parents.

You will need evidence of your parents earning for the previous year, that is their P45 forms. They'll need to fill in a form and send off evidence of their wages, and you may also need to provide evidence of their marriage.

What an idiotic comment, access courses are respected just as much as A levels, and more in certain cases.
Original post by baconwrappedeggs
What an idiotic comment, access courses are respected just as much as A levels, and more in certain cases.

Have you done an Access course?
Have you done an Access course?

Yes, got my last results last week and got offers from Queen Mary, King's College and University of Birmingham earlier this year.

You've been duped by whoever told you top Universities do not accept access courses. They wouldn't have the entry criteria on their website for starters.

Idiot.
Reply 19
Based on your previous threads and what you've said in this thread, I'd get out of that place as soon as possible. Learn to live on your own and handle yourself, surely that's better than being bullied by your parents.

You will need evidence of your parents earning for the previous year, that is their P45 forms. They'll need to fill in a form and send off evidence of their wages, and you may also need to provide evidence of their marriage.

My parents are not married( nearly 34 years together through). Only my dad works and I know he gets paper P45's through the post but I don't know if he keeps them and for how long.( I have just thought of something else but I better not publically post that.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending