The Student Room Group

SQA Results' Day Discussion Thread - Tuesday 5 August 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by She-Ra
That's a pretty risky strategy..... why do you want to be released from it?

its risky but its because i want to see if i can get into other universities but since they have clearing places as well i was just wondering.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SHD7726
Hi, im finished S5 and I am wanting to study medicine:

Int 2 Spanish A
Int 2 Biology A
Standard grade Chemistry 1
Standard grade Physics 2
Standard grade English 2
Standard Grade Maths 2
Standard Grade Drama 2
Standard Grade Business Management 2

Higher Maths C
Higher Business Management C
Higher Biology C
Higher Physics C
Higher Chemistry C

I'm so gutted and devastated with my Higher Results this Year utterly heart broken, i've dreamed of doing medicine and nothing else that's all i think about no other alternative course. Do you Know what i can do now i.e next steps or any routes i can take to do medicine if so please tell me i really need your guys help much appreciated.

What subjects should i do in sixth year based on these results, so any routes or next steps that i need to take in order to do medicine could you please tell me thank you

Hey mate, I'm really sorry to hear about your results. I know how disappointing it must be - when I was in 5th year, the only thing I could think of was studying medicine, and I would've been devastated to have someone tell me that wasn't a possibility.

The first thing's first is to try to realise what went wrong. Given that you were aiming for at least AAAAB, hitting CCCCC is quite wide off the mark. Were there extenuating circumstances? Did you choke on the day? Did you not revise as hard as you could've? Or do you just not think you've got the aptitude for these subjects?

Unfortunately, as you well know, CCCCC simply isn't good enough for medicine, and that's a shame. No medical school will consider you direct from S5. However, there are still alternate routes into medicine. The most popular alternate route is Graduate-Entry Medicine, which is where you study another degree of your choice, and then reapply to medicine. You'd want to reapply to medical schools who don't put much consideration on secondary school performance!
The second route is ]Access to Medicine courses. I don't know much about these, but they exist and sometimes people do get into medicine. Unfortunate thing is, I don't think many people know much about these courses, so if you want to know about the courses, the best thing you can do is get in touch with universities and colleges that provide them and ask for details about the course, and the path of their graduates. Especially things like what proportion of their students end up in medicine at the end; and how many of those who apply to medicine after the course get in; and the typical grade profiles thereof. I mean, there's not much point studying an Access to Medicine course if only 2% of that course's student body who applied to medicine get in, right?

Then the last thing, and the most important thing, is to realise that medicine isn't the be-all and end-all. Medicine isn't the right choice for everyone, and many people with lots of ambition settle on the course at school because it's a difficult, prestigious course, and it seems like the obvious next step. When I was at school, I thought if I didn't do medicine, I'd go into maths, physics or computer science or something like that. Turns out, the further and further I get into medicine, the more and more I realise that I'd be happy in other healthcare professions too - maybe as a nurse, or a physiotherapist or things like that. A lot of the reasons there are to get into medicine also apply to other healthcare professions, so it's likely you might enjoy them, too. Have a think. There's a wide range of jobs within healthcare that you can still be considered for and would provide you with an enjoyable, rewarding career - perhaps even more than medicine!

And as always, there's the last ditch effort of retakes/remarks. At the moment, the best thing to do is to talk to your teachers about what your best course of action is for 6th year. Personally, I'd retake some of the Highers you've already sat, and sit a combination of new Highers in preparation for applying to a non-medicine degree. But that's totally up to you, and your teachers will be in the best position to advise you about this.

Best of luck, man. We have a forum for other healthcare courses if you're interested as well as a medicine forum. We even have a section dedicated to careers in healthcare that might give you more information.
(edited 9 years ago)
I just got my results and was a bit surprised. I passed all the NABS and got 80% for my folio. However, I decided not to sit the exam this year and did not expect any exam result as a consequence!

My SQA email says Higher English F.

I also passed all the NABS for another subject but did not sit the exam. The subject is not mentioned on the results email!

Surely, if I did not sit the exam it should not have any award attributed to it? Anyone else in this kind of situation as I am very surprised to see this communicated to me by the SQA? Seems like my college are trying to pretend I sat the exam for some reason ...

An
Original post by mathsisannoying
its risky but its because i want to see if i can get into other universities but since they have clearing places as well i was just wondering.

They'll get snapped up so quickly! It's worth calling the uni's you're interested in and seeing if they would accept you before giving up your place - best thing to do is to be honest and explain your situation :smile:
Good morning everyone, surprised I only missed 10 pages :tongue: everyone should have their results by now?!
So happy and delighted with my results! Got mine at 1:30am but went to bed at 1am so should of stayed up another 30 minutes. lol. I got a A in Intermediate 1 Maths and a B in Intermediate 2 Administration! :smile: Well Done to everyone else for their results. That's the end of 7 years of high school for me! First England and then Scotland! Incredible!
Original post by oldendays
I just got my results and was a bit surprised. I passed all the NABS and got 80% for my folio. However, I decided not to sit the exam this year and did not expect any exam result as a consequence!

My SQA email says Higher English F.

I also passed all the NABS for another subject but did not sit the exam. The subject is not mentioned on the results email!

Surely, if I did not sit the exam it should not have any award attributed to it? Anyone else in this kind of situation as I am very surprised to see this communicated to me by the SQA? Seems like my college are trying to pretend I sat the exam for some reason ...

An

The best thing to do is contact your school and ask what has happened :yep:
Original post by Joshua1122
So happy and delighted with my results! Got mine at 1:30am but went to bed at 1am so should of stayed up another 30 minutes. lol. I got a A in Intermediate 1 Maths and a B in Intermediate 2 Administration! :smile: Well Done to everyone else for their results. That's the end of 7 years of high school for me! First England and then Scotland! Incredible!

Congrats!! :congrats:
Great job with your results, what are your plans for next year? :smile:
Original post by Gingerbread101
Definitely see about a remark then :smile:
If you got your results by text/email, then there's also a small chance it was an error, it might be different on your post results :smile:

Thank you, I'm popping into the school in a few minutes too. Is there someone from the SQA that's usually there or is it just the teachers who are waiting to advise students?
Original post by NinetyOne
Ok my body wouldn't let me sleep.. So I guess I'm back :P

Does anyone know how easy it is to change degrees? I was planning on doing politics but I've managed to get good enough grades to do Law now if I wanted. This would be at Stirling uni in Scotland.

don't know if this has already been answered, but here goes!

FANTASTIC about your grades, mate. Really really well done - that's a big step up. Unfortunately, there's no concrete answer to your question! Some unis will let you switch between similar degrees very easily, some will let you switch between different degree, some will let you switch after matriculation. The best thing you can do is phone up Stirling and tell them that you've exceeded your expectations, and ask them if it'd be possible to switch over to a course like Law via the phone, or if you can go through something like Adjustment (although this requires you to have met and exceeded your offer! More here).
Original post by Confused!
Thank you, I'm popping into the school in a few minutes too. Is there someone from the SQA that's usually there or is it just the teachers who are waiting to advise students?

I honestly have no idea, but it's probably just someone from the school :smile: They will be used to this though, they've been through many results days so will still know what's best for you to do :yes:
Adv Physics - A
H Bus. Man - B
Adv maths - C

ABC :biggrin:
I honestly have no idea, but it's probably just someone from the school :smile: They will be used to this though, they've been through many results days so will still know what's best for you to do :yes:

Thank you for your help! :biggrin:
Original post by iNeedHelpNao
Adv Physics - A
H Bus. Man - B
Adv maths - C

ABC :biggrin:

:woo: Great job! :woo:

What are your plans for next year? :smile:
:woo: Great job! :woo:

What are your plans for next year? :smile:

I start a Mechanical and Offshore engineering course in September.
Original post by iNeedHelpNao
I start a Mechanical and Offshore engineering course in September.

Sounds great :yep: I'm glad all of your hard work has paid off :smile:
Original post by Rheap
So I have gotten my exam results

Higher English A
Higher Working with others A
Higher History C
Int 2 Maths F
Int 2 Media C

I am estatic about English but really annoyed about maths as I needed at least a c in order to do my pdge in drama.
I have already left school and got accepted into a HNC acting and performance course at Motherwell college but I need maths for my PDGE course in a few years.

Any advice on what to do?

Hey mate, those are fantastic grades - especially with you getting into your HNC course. Don't let the maths grade spoil your day - be sure to celebrate hardcore today still! :wink:

Best thing you can do is retake Maths! You've got a few years during your HNC, and one of the biggest options if to sit your Int 2 (or equivalent qualification) in Maths while you study that. I think that might actually be something Motherwell college offers?
There are also other levels of maths qualification (like numeracy ones, or "access to ___" or "maths for ___") which might be suitable, but you'd have to talk to the provider of the PGDE programme first to see if these qualifications are acceptable.
Well done everyone :smile:
I got:
H chem (resit) - A
H bio - A
H comp - B
H eng (resit) - C
AH maths - F (totally expecting it)
Int 2 spanish - A
AH art - A
AH English - B
AH physics -B

I'm content with those, they're not amazing but I can live with them. I would have liked to have done better in English seeing as I got 90% in the prelim but it's so subjective and a lot of it depends on the markers opinion of the dissertation/folio. A B in physics is a sheer miracle so I'm chuffed with that.
Original post by koolkate
Well done everyone :smile:
I got:
H chem (resit) - A
H bio - A
H comp - B
H eng (resit) - C
AH maths - F (totally expecting it)

Well done!! :five:
Even with maths, those are still awesome grades :biggrin: At least you weren't expecting a really high grade in maths :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending