The Student Room Group

SQA Results' Day Discussion Thread - Tuesday 5 August 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Davfrescoo
Is one A and 4 Bs any good for university..?

yes, definitely !!!
Original post by SleepingStag
Anyone know how you can find out if you got an A band 1, A band 2, etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Only your centre gets a breakdown so you'll need to ask your school/college for it
Well I did a lot better than I thought I would have (didn't study much at all due to my unconditional) but I'm still a little ambivalent about getting no As this year. Happy nonetheless with what I got!

My results:

Advanced Higher English - B

Advanced Higher Music - B

Higher Philosophy - B (thought I'd failed this miserably)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by DylanJ96
Well I did a lot better than I thought I would have (didn't study much at all due to the unconditional) but I'm still a little ambivalent about getting no As this year. Happy non the less with what I got!

My results:

Higher Philosophy - B

Awesome, congrats! :party:

Last SQA results - what you off to do now?
Original post by hollieeilloh
Awesome, congrats! :party:

Last SQA results - what you off to do now?

Music at Newcastle University. So excited! :biggrin:
Well I did a lot better than I thought I would have (didn't study much at all due to my unconditional) but I'm still a little ambivalent about getting no As this year. Happy nonetheless with what I got!

My results:

Higher Philosophy - B (thought I'd failed this miserably)

Congrats!! :biggrin: :biggrin:
Original post by Adykonvict1
Another question regarding saas. I applied to saas for my firm - on the form it states strathclyde. However because I missed my conditions for my firm , does that mean I have to go through the whole saas application procedure, or do I just ring them

You'll have to ring up SAAS and inform them of the change. :smile:
Reply 1967
Music at Newcastle University. So excited! :biggrin:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=784
Newcastle uni section. Any questions about it or if you want to meet fellow people then that is the place for you. :smile:
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Hey mate, I'm really sorry to hear about your results. I know how disappointing it must be - when I was in 5th year, the only thing I could think of was studying medicine, and I would've been devastated to have someone tell me that wasn't a possibility.

The first thing's first is to try to realise what went wrong. Given that you were aiming for at least AAAAB, hitting CCCCC is quite wide off the mark. Were there extenuating circumstances? Did you choke on the day? Did you not revise as hard as you could've? Or do you just not think you've got the aptitude for these subjects?

Unfortunately, as you well know, CCCCC simply isn't good enough for medicine, and that's a shame. No medical school will consider you direct from S5. However, there are still alternate routes into medicine. The most popular alternate route is Graduate-Entry Medicine, which is where you study another degree of your choice, and then reapply to medicine. You'd want to reapply to medical schools who don't put much consideration on secondary school performance!
The second route is ]Access to Medicine courses. I don't know much about these, but they exist and sometimes people do get into medicine. Unfortunate thing is, I don't think many people know much about these courses, so if you want to know about the courses, the best thing you can do is get in touch with universities and colleges that provide them and ask for details about the course, and the path of their graduates. Especially things like what proportion of their students end up in medicine at the end; and how many of those who apply to medicine after the course get in; and the typical grade profiles thereof. I mean, there's not much point studying an Access to Medicine course if only 2% of that course's student body who applied to medicine get in, right?

Then the last thing, and the most important thing, is to realise that medicine isn't the be-all and end-all. Medicine isn't the right choice for everyone, and many people with lots of ambition settle on the course at school because it's a difficult, prestigious course, and it seems like the obvious next step. When I was at school, I thought if I didn't do medicine, I'd go into maths, physics or computer science or something like that. Turns out, the further and further I get into medicine, the more and more I realise that I'd be happy in other healthcare professions too - maybe as a nurse, or a physiotherapist or things like that. A lot of the reasons there are to get into medicine also apply to other healthcare professions, so it's likely you might enjoy them, too. Have a think. There's a wide range of jobs within healthcare that you can still be considered for and would provide you with an enjoyable, rewarding career - perhaps even more than medicine!

And as always, there's the last ditch effort of retakes/remarks. At the moment, the best thing to do is to talk to your teachers about what your best course of action is for 6th year. Personally, I'd retake some of the Highers you've already sat, and sit a combination of new Highers in preparation for applying to a non-medicine degree. But that's totally up to you, and your teachers will be in the best position to advise you about this.

Best of luck, man. We have a forum for other healthcare courses if you're interested as well as a medicine forum. We even have a section dedicated to careers in healthcare that might give you more information.

Hi there, hope your okay .
Just a wee note to say chin up , highers will not be the be all and end all in determining your future. Just think of prof brian cox who got a D in a -level maths and is know such a well known and prominent physicist . No doors are closed when your a teenager and there is nothing you cannot remedy x
Original post by Asklepios
Pretty standard for AH maths

hi there how do you find out boundaries
So what's better

A at higher

or

D at higher and C at Adv higher

Posted from TSR Mobile
Advanced higher Maths - A
Higher Physics - B

Pretty happy considering I was studying the day before the exams and that I was crashing physics :tongue:
Original post by rhubarbpi
hi there how do you find out boundaries

http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/63002.html :smile:
Original post by CSM1996
Higher Physics - B

Pretty happy considering I was studying the day before the exams and that I was crashing physics :tongue:

Wow, both amazing achievements - but especially the A at AH Maths! I'm slightly jealous. :tongue: Well doneeeee, go celebrate!
Original post by hollieeilloh
Phone your school. :smile:

OK ta :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1975
Original post by CSM1996
Higher Physics - B

Well done. :smile: what next for you? Are you going to celebrate?
Is the National 5 Biology paper online yet anywhere?
Original post by ashleymacleod
Is the National 5 Biology paper online yet anywhere?

Not on the SQA website yet. :no:
Help?
i did a nat 4 which came up my certificate but it doesn't say if I passed or failed. I know I passed though cause the teacher told me?
Should I go and contact the school or the sqa?
Original post by rajae
HAS ANYONE GOT AN A IN AH MATHS ( I got a B I'm so freaking pissed i spent 100000 hours revising it and doing past papers....)

I got an A surprisingly since I studied like 2 days before. However it had been my best subject throughout the year so I put a bit of effort throughout the year and by the end i just got a bit lazy :tongue: It was a hard paper though, so a B is still really good so don't be annoyed at yourself.

P.s. sorry for late reply haha

Quick Reply

Latest