The Student Room Group

World War 1 was a century ago isn't it time we all moved on?

I'm grateful for what those brave souls did for this country but how long will we remember them for? Will we have a remembrance Sunday a 500 years from now?

It just seems awfully redundant and self-serving to still celebrate the war a 100 years on.

Please don't bash me I have anxiety.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
does it even matter
Who celebrates a war? A victory, maybe, but a war? Sounds like sadism to me.
Reply 3
The truth was, in 1914, Germany doesn't want war. Yeah, there's an arms race, but it's Britain who's leading it. So, why does no one admit this? That's why. The dead. The body count. We don't like to admit the war was even partly our fault cos so many of our people died. And all the mourning's veiled the truth. It's not "lest we forget", it's "lest we remember". That's what all this is about -the memorials, the Cenotaph, the two minutes' silence-. Because there is no better way of forgetting something than by commemorating it.
- Tom Irwin, the History Boys.
Technically it only started a century ago... It was still going on 96 years ago.
It's a bit like the Hillsborough Disaster. Why do people have to have a minute's silence every April for something that happened over 25 years ago? I can understand Liverpool fans grief, but the whole country? I am sure nobody cares these days, it's all fake anyway when footballers stand there with black armbands on and pretend they are upset.
Reply 6
Agreed, we don't do this for the Boer War or Crimean War.
The thing which gets me is more how it's turned into a celebration of national pride ("hurr durr they died for freedom") rather than a chance to learn a lesson.

Literally hundreds of thousands of the lower classes of this country ended up dying, while the political elite talked of heroism miles from the front line, it should be seen as something very shameful for Britain at how they were lied to ("be home by Christmas"), not taken care of after the war, shamed into going if they were afraid, court-martialed and executed if they dropped their weapon, for literally nothing.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Armin.
I'm grateful for what those brave souls did for this country but how long will we remember them for? Will we have a remembrance Sunday a 500 years from now?

It just seems awfully redundant and self-serving to still celebrate the war a 100 years on.

Please don't bash me I have anxiety.

If it makes world leaders think twice about committing armed forces to a futile conflict then the 100 year anniversary will be worthwhile.
It's something I don't mind doing because its something that still has a real effect on us today. The same way I might think about great inventors and industrialists who have paved the course of history, I will also think of those who gave so much more in order to ensure that we have the kind of lives we have today.

So feel free not to do so yourself, but I'd encourage you to not be ignorant enough to not understand what these people gave up, effectively for us.
Reply 10
Original post by tomov
Agreed, we don't do this for the Boer War or Crimean War.

Well obviously not, the scale is completely different!!!!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well, your name is 'Armin', so no surprise there :wink:
Reply 12
Original post by 99DeadBaboons
Who celebrates a war? A victory, maybe, but a war? Sounds like sadism to me.

It's not a celebration!? It's remembering those who fought from all over the globe and made the ultimate sacrifice for their country.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Audi
It's not a celebration!? It's remembering those who fought from all over the globe and made the ultimate sacrifice for their country.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I based my post entirely off the OP.
Original post by CryptoidAlien
Well, your name is 'Armin', so no surprise there :wink:

and your name is an antisemitic reference :rolleyes: the thing is, it was ethnic Brits who ordered their fellow Brits to go die for no reason at all
It's not compulsory to turn off the lights, light a candle or stand in silence, move on! As long as you don't offend anyone in the process (e.g. burn a poppy) then it's all good.
Reply 16
Original post by yo radical one
and your name is an antisemitic reference :rolleyes: the thing is, it was ethnic Brits who ordered their fellow Brits to go die for no reason at all

Well that's a load of bull.

Have some respect.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
It's something easy to support because everyone agrees that it was a bad thing. So it creates a meme of sorts as politicians, the media and people in power scramble to demonstrate that they care.

A question that may be worth asking is: how much money does WW1 rake in? There is no way that nobody is making money off of this, with things like tourism, memorabilia, events, etc. The media also benefits as it creates news that people will most definitely be interested in.

That being said, even if people are acknowledging it for the wrong reasons, at least they're still doing it. It would be a majorly dick move to just suddenly be like "Okay, whatever" on a major anniversary. And people will remember, and hopefully a portion of them will learn a lesson from it.
Original post by EllieC130
Technically it only started a century ago... It was still going on 96 years ago.

Technically it was still going 91 years and 4 months ago
And it's also not technically true that it started 100 years ago because we don't care about the bit we weren't in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by Huskaris
It's something I don't mind doing because its something that still has a real effect on us today. The same way I might think about great inventors and industrialists who have paved the course of history, I will also think of those who gave so much more in order to ensure that we have the kind of lives we have today.

So feel free not to do so yourself, but I'd encourage you to not be ignorant enough to not understand what these people gave up, effectively for us.

God dammit I still can't upvote.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending