The Student Room Group

Student loan doesn't cover accommodation cost

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by lamyers1
Ditto. I am over £500 short of rent (and have the cheapest accommodation).

Luckily, my parents funded the rest and gave me £25 a week for food, but I worked all summer and christmas to save money for uni and asked for textbooks for Christmas.

My dad's told me off for changing it but my mum told to me to so there's a bit of conflict now :/

It's good you could rely on your parents, hopefully I'll be able to find a job soon so I can start working as soon as I start uni.
Reply 21
Original post by bumblybee
My dad's told me off for changing it but my mum told to me to so there's a bit of conflict now :/

It's good you could rely on your parents, hopefully I'll be able to find a job soon so I can start working as soon as I start uni.

If its cheaper it's probably the best thing to do.

Paid also start looking for a job beforehand if you can, which you can maybe keep as a holiday job? That's what I did. Remember you'll have freshers to pay for, and tide you over until you find a job!
Reply 22
Original post by lamyers1
If its cheaper it's probably the best thing to do.

Paid also start looking for a job beforehand if you can, which you can maybe keep as a holiday job? That's what I did. Remember you'll have freshers to pay for, and tide you over until you find a job!

I have warned him about this haha. I applied for a few jobs today and will keep looking, I'm sure I'll be able to make it all work out :smile:
Reply 23
I'll be on the lowest band and with the NHS bursary so have been estimated at 12,000 a year which is loan and grants. Was just wondering with an overdraft can you pay it off when you've finished uni? Or is there a time limit they have to be paid back in
Try being a 22 year old student who had a full time job, moved out of his parents' house and was still deemed financially dependent on said parents.

I'm so poor. :frown:
Reply 25
Original post by Rooster523
Try being a 22 year old student who had a full time job, moved out of his parents' house and was still deemed financially dependent on said parents.

I'm so poor. :frown:

That is ridiculous :frown: surely only your income should be taken into account since you weren't living with them and were self-sufficient. Is there nothing you can do?
Original post by bumblybee
That is ridiculous :frown: surely only your income should be taken into account since you weren't living with them and were self-sufficient. Is there nothing you can do?

That's my argument. Apparently you have to be self sufficient for 3 years prior to the start of your course which is a ludicrous rule.

Currently going through an appeal which, if unsuccessful, will mean a whole lot of part time work coming my way...unaaaay! :smile:
Reply 27
Simple solution:

Get whatever money is paid into your account OUT and put it a sock under your bed. Make sure the account is in the overdraft and allow enough time to elapse so it's in the overdraft for a 3 month period then go cry a sob story to the hardship fund people.
The reason for the 3 month delay is that's how many months bank statements you're gonna have to provide.

Do this every December for 3 years and that'll be an extra £1700 or so you'll get each year.
Reply 28
Original post by Rooster523
That's my argument. Apparently you have to be self sufficient for 3 years prior to the start of your course which is a ludicrous rule.

Currently going through an appeal which, if unsuccessful, will mean a whole lot of part time work coming my way...unaaaay! :smile:

Sigh. I wish you the best of luck with your appeal!
Reply 29
Original post by JC.
Simple solution:

Get whatever money is paid into your account OUT and put it a sock under your bed. Make sure the account is in the overdraft and allow enough time to elapse so it's in the overdraft for a 3 month period then go cry a sob story to the hardship fund people.
The reason for the 3 month delay is that's how many months bank statements you're gonna have to provide.

Do this every December for 3 years and that'll be an extra £1700 or so you'll get each year.

Very good advice, thank you! :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending