The Student Room Group

Are these good A Levels??

I'm thinking of taking:
1.English Literature
2.History
3.Geography
4.Maths
5.Ancient History

Are these a good combination as I would like to study English Literature at University, the dream is Cambridge so I'll be doing the EPQ too.
Reply 1
Looks fine.

Similar choices to a yearmate of mine who got into Oxford for English, but his A2 was History, English & Psychology with an AS in maths.
Original post by Spivo1410
I'm thinking of taking:
1.English Literature
2.History
3.Geography
4.Maths
5.Ancient History

Are these a good combination as I would like to study English Literature at University, the dream is Cambridge so I'll be doing the EPQ too.

Those A-Levels are excellent choices for an English Lit degree (or virtually any other Arts/Humanities degree, for that matter).
Reply 3
Original post by PythianLegume
Those A-Levels are excellent choices for an English Lit degree (or virtually any other Arts/Humanities degree, for that matter).

Thanks I'm just a bit concerned about the work load, I can work hard but I think I'll get too stressed...
Reply 4
Original post by Jkizer
Looks fine.

Similar choices to a yearmate of mine who got into Oxford for English, but his A2 was History, English & Psychology with an AS in maths.

Did he like them?
Thanks I'm just a bit concerned about the work load, I can work hard but I think I'll get too stressed...

If you think workload is a bit much,you could always decide to drop one of the History subjects.
Reply 6
Did he like them?

He actually liked Psychology the most of his trio xD

For English he was a regular moaner in the common room about how crappy the books are, which the teachers chose for the exam. Similar for History in that he hated learning about British History. But they were mainly for AS. At A2 he seemed to prefer the content. So i suppose it all depends on what your teachers picks as 'topics' for your syllabus :P
Reply 7
If you think workload is a bit much,you could always decide to drop one of the History subjects.

I was thinking of doing 4AS in the first year then dropping maybe maths and picking up Ancient History AS in the A2 year.
I was thinking of doing 4AS in the first year then dropping maybe maths and picking up Ancient History AS in the A2 year.

If your EPQ is going to be in your AS year, then I'd say that's a good plan. And you can see from your AS year whether you think the workload will be too much to take on a 5th AS in your last year.
Reply 9
If your EPQ is going to be in your AS year, then I'd say that's a good plan. And you can see from your AS year whether you think the workload will be too much to take on a 5th AS in your last year.

At my College we do the EPQ in the holiday between AS and A2 so I think that will be fine but i don't really know what I'll do it on...
At my College we do the EPQ in the holiday between AS and A2 so I think that will be fine but i don't really know what I'll do it on...

Well if you're interested in English Literature, there's a lot of scope for exploring that. Why not do it on a favourite author or book(s) (assuming you think you can look into in depth without ruining your enjoyment of them :tongue: ).

The most important thing is to do something you're interested in.
Reply 11
Well if you're interested in English Literature, there's a lot of scope for exploring that. Why not do it on a favourite author or book(s) (assuming you think you can look into in depth without ruining your enjoyment of them :tongue: ).

The most important thing is to do something you're interested in.

Well I love books which look into racial prejudice and as I do Civil Rights in A2 History I think it would be the best choice...

Quick Reply

Latest