The Student Room Group

SQA Results' Day Discussion Thread - Tuesday 5 August 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gingerbread101
They both sound good :yes: What's the job? :smile:

Well I'm involved in this summer programme where I do different challenges at different businesses and some of them offer a job to someone so there are quite a few I could put my name forward for!

Original post by Neuth
Oooh, interesting :yes:
So do you like languages? :h:

I love them! Hoping to apply to uni to study them!
Original post by Y2J97
Well I'm involved in this summer programme where I do different challenges at different businesses and some of them offer a job to someone so there are quite a few I could put my name forward for!

Oh that sounds really fun! :h:
Original post by Y2J97

Nice to see - I love languages :yes:
Have you thought about joining the Polyglot societies on here? :h:
Original post by Neuth
Nice to see - I love languages :yes:
Have you thought about joining the Polyglot societies on here? :h:

I've never heard of that! What is it?
Original post by Y2J97
I've never heard of that! What is it?

I'll send you a message in a second, don't want to take this thread off topic :colondollar:
I'm so confused! I got a D for NC Early Education and childcare which sqa say is a pass but my college just told me it's a fail! Can someone please tell me straight up if it's a pass or fail?
Original post by Blabyda
I thoroughly enjoyed AH English this year; it's far better than higher and it's a lot more about your own opinions and reading and less about word choice and analysis

That's good, I'm really looking forward to it
Original post by debbiedear
I'm so confused! I got a D for NC Early Education and childcare which sqa say is a pass but my college just told me it's a fail! Can someone please tell me straight up if it's a pass or fail?

I honestly have no idea...if SQA say it's a pass, then it's a pass, but I've been looking all over the website and can't find where it says this!
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
I honestly have no idea...if SQA say it's a pass, then it's a pass, but I've been looking all over the website and can't find where it says this!

It says grade D is an award in its own right and as it's on my letter it counts, but college say it simply acknowledges that u done the course but it's a fail if u want to progress
It says grade D is an award in its own right and as it's on my letter it counts, but college say it simply acknowledges that u done the course but it's a fail if u want to progress

That's my understanding of the grade D, too. It's an award, but it's not a pass. :smile:
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
That's my understanding of the grade D, too. It's an award, but it's not a pass. :smile:

I'm so bummed :-( thanks for reply tho

It's a really weird grade. A D is technically a fail, but also a course award in it's own right. It means you have have passed all the units but marginally failed the exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got a C for my int2 English this year.i was just wondering do I need to do higher English in order to do forensic science or bio sciences. I'm about to go into s6 btw.i was planning on doing higher business management instead of English.
This year I took 3 Advanced highers, biology, chemistry and maths. I'm totally happy with biology and chemistry but before I chose them I was considering the three main sciences at advanced highers (Physics instead of maths) but my guidence teacher discouraged me because of the 3 science investigations and I agreed so took maths instead because I was better at it. Now that I got the same grade for both Higher physics and maths I'm beginning to consider physics again because I enjoy most of it more (hated most of Unit 1, liked unit 2 and absolutely loved unit 3)

I should really just ask my question before I ramble more so Are 3 AH science investigations as impossible as people say? And should I take it and endure the mechanics part(which I don't like) just to enjoy the more molecular physics part (which I love)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hayden97
I got a C for my int2 English this year.i was just wondering do I need to do higher English in order to do forensic science or bio sciences. I'm about to go into s6 btw.i was planning on doing higher business management instead of English.

It won't matter. You don't need anything above an Int2 pass in English for most universities. Double check on their websites though incase they say you need a B for Int2 or even a Higher pass.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Gingerbread101
You still did awesome!! Well done!! :congrats:

Wow thanks so much! :biggrin: How about you, how did you do or were you not waiting on results?
Original post by Hayden97

Check the requirements for the universities you're going to apply for. If you meet the English requirements you don't need to do Higher English, if you don't, you might need to! or retake int 2.

Original post by Passwords
This year I took 3 Advanced highers, biology, chemistry and maths. I'm totally happy with biology and chemistry but before I chose them I was considering the three main sciences at advanced highers (Physics instead of maths) but my guidence teacher discouraged me because of the 3 science investigations and I agreed so took maths instead because I was better at it. Now that I got the same grade for both Higher physics and maths I'm beginning to consider physics again because I enjoy most of it more (hated most of Unit 1, liked unit 2 and absolutely loved unit 3)

I should really just ask my question before I ramble more so Are 3 AH science investigations as impossible as people say? And should I take it and endure the mechanics part(which I don't like) just to enjoy the more molecular physics part (which I love)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would've found it impossible, but it's doable. People have done it on this forum before, but if you don't like a large part of the course, and love only a small part of it, you might want to consider that, too!
Original post by Passwords

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not that hard to do 3 investigations, loads of people do so. Just stay organised and make sure you get all your practical work done quickly.

In the old AH at least, there was hardly any molecular physics (a bit on quarks and the standard model, but that was it really), but there was a huge chunk on mechanics. I'm not sure how this has changed for the new AH though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="Asklepios;49067530"]It won't matter. You don't need anything above an Int2 pass in English.

Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOTE
Thank you for the reply.it is good to know that I can now take a subject I have a chance of doing well in.
[QUOTE="Hayden97;49067724"]
Original post by Asklepios
It won't matter. You don't need anything above an Int2 pass in English.

Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOTE
Thank you for the reply.it is good to know that I can now take a subject I have a chance of doing well in.

I would still double check with the universities you're interested in though, just incase :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending