The Student Room Group

Stuck with a-level choices?!

I'm about to start Sixth Form on 2nd September and am having doubts about choosing AS Health and Social Care..? Should I keep that subject or choose Sociology or Communication? Any advice please :frown: ?? Opinions? Thank you, much appreciated x

Scroll to see replies

Well, what do you want to do post-A Levels?
Original post by Summer Rose
I'm about to start Sixth Form on 2nd September and am having doubts about choosing AS Health and Social Care..? Should I keep that subject or choose Sociology or Communication? Any advice please :frown: ?? Opinions? Thank you, much appreciated x

Hey!

Sociology is a stronger subject, I wouldn't do communication but that's me. What would you like to do after your a-levels...?
Reply 3
Original post by JayJay-C19
Hey!

Sociology is a stronger subject, I wouldn't do communication but that's me. What would you like to do after your a-levels...?

I'm thinking of going into Primary Teaching, or maybe even something to do with Psychology, since I love it so much :smile: Yeah I'm thinking either Sociology or Health and Social Care... What are your opinions on Sociology?
Reply 4
Original post by Superunknown17
Well, what do you want to do post-A Levels?

Primary Teaching :smile:, or possibly something to do with Psychology?
I'm thinking of going into Primary Teaching, or maybe even something to do with Psychology, since I love it so much :smile: Yeah I'm thinking either Sociology or Health and Social Care... What are your opinions on Sociology?

Can I ask, what are your other options? Just so I can evaluate it a bit better!
Reply 6
Can I ask, what are your other options? Just so I can evaluate it a bit better!

I've chosen Psychology < LOVE, English Language and Literature and Biology
I've chosen Psychology < LOVE, English Language and Literature and Biology

Choose Sociology. You will have a strong set of A-Levels. You will have more options open to you. I'd go down that route. Health and Social won't help you in any of your fields and is consider a weak a-level. Seeing as none of your three choices (Sociology, Health and Social Care or Communication) would help in your paths, I'd just go with what's a better course. Go with Sociology. However, if you enjoy Health, go with that.

Good luck!
Reply 8
Choose Sociology. You will have a strong set of A-Levels. You will have more options open to you. I'd go down that route. Health and Social won't help you in any of your fields and is consider a weak a-level. Seeing as none of your three choices (Sociology, Health and Social Care or Communication) would help in your paths, I'd just go with what's a better course. Go with Sociology. However, if you enjoy Health, go with that.

Good luck!

Okay, thank you :smile: Could you give me an intro as to what Sociology is about? I enjoy the other subjects i'm doing especially Psychology, so do you think I will enjoy it?
You may make things a little trickier for yourself by taking both sociology and psychology purely due to the fact they both contain a lot of studies that you need to remember for the exam. It can prove confusing if you start mixing them up.
Okay, thank you :smile: Could you give me an intro as to what Sociology is about? I enjoy the other subjects i'm doing especially Psychology, so do you think I will enjoy it?

I can. Sociology is basically, in short, the study of people. Why they are the way they are, peoples actions, all of that sort of stuff. It's also a course that looks at education and domestics. Stereotypes; who will do better on their GCSEs? Which ethnicity is superior academically? So on and so forth. I'd say parts can overlap into Psychology so you probably would like it!
Original post by felicitykate
You may make things a little trickier for yourself by taking both sociology and psychology purely due to the fact they both contain a lot of studies that you need to remember for the exam. It can prove confusing if you start mixing them up.

OP, this is also true. Consider this. But I definitely think it's still something you can get past and may be worth it for stronger A-Levels!
OP, this is also true. Consider this. But I definitely think it's still something you can get past and may be worth it for stronger A-Levels!

Aawh thank you for your advice, you are really helping me! :hugs: Also, I did Psychology at GCSE, which is basically the same in A-Level but in a bit more detail :wink: So I guess I am at an advantage to the majority of people because most high schools don't do Psychology at GCSE :biggrin: Yeah and I know what you mean by there being topics that overlap because when I was back at school I had a flick through a mate's textbook and saw research methods, which I got excited about because I studied it in Psychology as well.. Lol x
(edited 9 years ago)
Aawh thank you for your advice, you are really helping me! :hugs: Also, I did Psychology at GCSE, which is basically the same in A-Level but in a bit more detail :wink: So I guess I am at an advantage to the majority of people because most high schools don't do Psychology at GCSE :biggrin: Yeah and I know what you mean by there being topics that overlap because when I was back at school I had a flick through a mate's textbook and saw research methods, which I got excited about because I studied it in Psychology as well.. Lol x

Haha, I think that means you are sorted then! Have fun with your courses.
Haha, I think that means you are sorted then! Have fun with your courses.

Yeah if I can change my subjects on Results day :redface: THANK YOU!
Yeah if I can change my subjects on Results day :redface: THANK YOU!

You're very welcome. I'm sure you'll be happy you did! Even if you end up not liking it, you can still change early on. I'm doing Biology too - History, English Literature, Philosophy and Ethics and Biology.
You're very welcome. I'm sure you'll be happy you did! Even if you end up not liking it, you can still change early on. I'm doing Biology too - History, English Literature, Philosophy and Ethics and Biology.

Wow that looks like a good subject group :rolleyes::smile: Yeah if I don't like Sociology then I'll probably have to do Health and Social Care cause it seems 'easier' though it is a 'soft' option :redface: I do hope I enjoy Sociology though, I probably just need to get into the subject like I did with Psychology :biggrin:
Wow that looks like a good subject group :rolleyes::smile: Yeah if I don't like Sociology then I'll probably have to do Health and Social Care cause it seems 'easier' though it is a 'soft' option :redface: I do hope I enjoy Sociology though, I probably just need to get into the subject like I did with Psychology :biggrin:

I'm sure you will!
I'm sure you will!

:dance:
:ahee::albertein::awesome::banana::banana2::bootyshake::bl::crown::elefant::nyan::party::party2::parrot::hugs:
:dance:

:goodluck:

Quick Reply

Latest