The Student Room Group

SQA Results' Day Discussion Thread - Tuesday 5 August 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by YellowPaiges
Thanks for your reply, it's kind of you to take the time to help.

I think she was considering Napier/Stirling/RGU...I know she was talking about Edinburgh but that's probably a bit out of reach. Her A was in English, the B's in Business and Geography - she's taking Advanced Business next year but isn't sure what else. It's reassuring to hear that they'll hopefully be willing to hand out a conditional - I'm so out of touch with this exam/Uni business so I haven't been much use!

Cool, as long as she doesn't go for all the top universities in the UK, she is likely to be offered a conditional offer. Some universities work it as having to get the grades over 2 sittings, other universities don't mind as long as they have (for example) ABBB by the end of their 6th year.
Original post by SHD7726
pathways to get into medicine with 5 C's in fifth year

give me routes advice and tips thanks guys

Advice here. :smile:
Original post by SHD7726
pathways to get into medicine with 5 C's in fifth year

give me routes advice and tips thanks guys

Original post by YellowPaiges
I'm asking this on behalf of a friend, any response would be hugely appreciated!

She got ABB at Higher this year. She also has a bunch of SG's, 2A's and a B at Int 2 from last year and is hoping to do a business related degree at Uni. What are the chances of her still being accepted next year? She's planning on taking 1 Advanced Higher and 3 more Highers in 6th year - will the Uni's be likely to give her a conditional offer based on her performance in 6th year?

I had a wee look at some Uni courses with her. If the minimum entry requirements are, for example, BBBC or BBBB does she still have a chance even though she only has 3 Higher this year? I can't see anything written on the courses she's interested in about one sitting/two sittings, but she's worried that because she only has 3 Highers she won't be considered.

Original post by Hayden97
Yeah I think i need to sit it at higher as I noticed that strathcylde uni,wants a B int2. If can just pass it next year that would be great. I probably will see if I can get a tutor for it ,if needed. Thank you for the advice and replys

Hi guys - I will be starting the nightshift soon, but I've got a few things to do for now. Will hopefully be here within the hour - hour and a half. If you haven't had a reply, I'll get back to you then!

Well done again with all your results again - I've really enjoyed the last 24 hours with the build up and receiving of results!

Charlie
Original post by ScottishScott
8? My school only lets us sit 6 :frown:

I got AAABB/P on my nationals today :smile: would have liked all A's but oh well I passed everything thats all that matters

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done! As of next year at our school you can only sit seven, as 8 was thought to be too much work
Are the people that sat 8 nat 5s better than the people that sat 6 nat 5s. I feel like I'm at a disadvantage here by only sitting 6 nat 5s....
Original post by mobbsy91
Hi guys - I will be starting the nightshift soon

It's nightshift time again? :colone:
Is there no other way (apart from asking teachers) to find out bandings/percentages ?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got 3As A B and a C how likely is it that I will be accepted into any law course? (Most ask for 2As 3Bs in the first year)
Original post by laurenmhari
Is there no other way (apart from asking teachers) to find out bandings/percentages ?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your university (I think anyway...) can tell you your bands, although I'm not sure about percentages.
Original post by Neuth
It's nightshift time again? :colone:

Soon - whenever any of guys are starting... I'll be around in about an hour or a little more...
Original post by Asklepios
I had a check, both Edinburgh and HW only ask for a SG/Int2 pass in English. Did you pass last year? :smile:

I got a 2 in Standard Grade last year. My mum just keeps telling me you kind of need it for uni so I should probably give it my best shot.
I need to make sure I understand everything
Original post by hollieeilloh
Your university (I think anyway...) can tell you your bands, although I'm not sure about percentages.

Yep, universities only get the bands. Not the percentages/marks :yep:

Original post by Samanthac
I got 3As A B and a C how likely is it that I will be accepted into any law course? (Most ask for 2As 3Bs in the first year)

You definitely still have a chance, and are even eligible to get an unconditional at some universities. It just depends on what universities you're interested in and what their requirements are but you're certainly not ruled out. Congratulations on those great results! :smile:

Original post by Larissa14
Are the people that sat 8 nat 5s better than the people that sat 6 nat 5s. I feel like I'm at a disadvantage here by only sitting 6 nat 5s....

Nope, definitely not. It's quite the norm to be taking 6 actually, so colleges and universities will recognise that having 6 is fine. What you do in 5th year will be more important anyway :h:

It totally depends on the school and the uni/employer will know that, don't worry! I've got 7 Standard Grades( and one Int2), while at other schools - namely privates- I've seen it extended to 9 or 10. I'm not disadvantaged, because the max I could do was 8. :wink:
Original post by Memetics
It totally depends on the school and the uni/employer will know that, don't worry! I've got 7 Standard Grades( and one Int2), while at other schools - namely privates- I've seen it extended to 9 or 10. I'm not disadvantaged, because the max I could do was 8. :wink:

I thought all schools did 8 standard grades ? I don't think I could manage 8 nat 5 . Well done all those did :smile: I suppose everyone kinda sits the same amount of higher which is 4/5 but they won't care how many nat 5s you pass?
I thought all schools did 8 standard grades ? I don't think I could manage 8 nat 5 . Well done all those did :smile: I suppose everyone kinda sits the same amount of higher which is 4/5 but they won't care how many nat 5s you pass?

It used to be the case that everyone did 7-9 standard grades/intermediate 2s. Back in the day I did 5 Int2s and 3 standard grades. Now with the new Nationals we're seeing schools only offer 6 subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Memetics

Our school let people do 9 (or in some cases 10, I think) Int 2s from my year so I think there must be a fair few schools who do.
Hi guys in a bit of a mess atm. I have got a place at glasgow caledonian to do law llb . However , they only offer scots law . I was keen on my firm strathclyde. Is it possible to transfer to strathclyde?
I was hoping someone could offer me some advice. I didn't meet the conditions for my firm choice and I phoned them early in the morning and they basically said we still won't offer you a place. However there has still been no update on track.

Does this mean they could be (hopefully) considering me ?
Hi, ABDN gave me the condition of BBB and I got AAC, C at higher PE and the A's at adv music and higher English, what is the likelihood of a place ? :/
Congratulations to everyone who received results today!
I got AAAAA (phys, chem, bio, maths, French). I hope to do a joint honours in physics and chemistry at St Andrews. This will mean focusing my personal statement on two disciplines, will this put me at a disadvantage when applying to a single honours course at Edinburgh or Glasgow? Are they more likely to accept me because of my grades?
Thanks x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending