The Student Room Group

What do you want to do when you graduate?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by King Leonidas
Thank you, what kind of experience do you have in the health & social care sector? I have just completed BA Politics/Philosophy and graduated with a 2.1, I am taking a year out to obtain some experience and strengthen my CV before I apply for an MA. Yeah, I really would love to work in the social field, helping others has always been my forte, thus doing it as a career would be amazing. At times I have doubted whether I can get a job in the sector due to the large influx of females in social work, however, somebody suggested that it could work in my favour:dontknow:

So what kind of work are you doing at Zealify:smile:

That's so great. I admire social workers :smile:
Original post by Iamyourfather
That's so great. I admire social workers :smile:

Likewise, they don't get enough credit in my opinion:smile:

What would you like to do?
Original post by Moonstruck16
I know I probably shouldn't plan so far ahead but I'm a dreamer :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Never too early! :smile:
Likewise, they don't get enough credit in my opinion:smile:

What would you like to do?

I agree.

I have a few career options in mind, but I really should stick to one thing as trying to map out a career plan is driving me mad!

I'm in a similar position to you; a graduate who needs to build a more impressive CV to get accepted onto a master's programme.

:smile:
Original post by Moonstruck16
I still have wait until August to find out if I'm going to uni or not but after, I'll hopefully be going on to read biology and will come out with a MSci degree in Environmental Biology.

I love animals and nature and want to work outdoors so I'm (at the moment) really liking the idea of working for the IUCN (International Union for the Conservation of Nature).

I also want to travel and move to America so hopefully, during my summers, I'll try to volunteer abroad to get experience and to see the world :awesome:

I know I probably shouldn't plan so far ahead but I'm a dreamer :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's sounds fantastic I really hope you succeed!
I'm definitely going to travel next year before I have to join the real world Hopefully Thailand or India.

I think the best thing to do is to have an awesome plan as you are always more likely to achieve something if you have a goal in mind. I have a friend who does pretty much the same thing he studies conservation and spends his summers in weird and wonderful places! I'm always so jealous!

But yeah keep working at it and i'm sure you will succeed :smile:
I did Business Management and am starting the NHS Grad Scheme in Sept. Ultimately if I like it I may stay in Finance within the NHS, but my brother is in management consultancy (also did Finance with NHS Grad Scheme) and I might try that out if it still appeals in a few of years.
I'm studying BA Economics and intend to work in the civil service, energy or transport.
Work a menial job and save up to pass my driving test. Switch my mind off for a bit.
Thank you, what kind of experience do you have in the health & social care sector? I have just completed BA Politics/Philosophy and graduated with a 2.1, I am taking a year out to obtain some experience and strengthen my CV before I apply for an MA. Yeah, I really would love to work in the social field, helping others has always been my forte, thus doing it as a career would be amazing. At times I have doubted whether I can get a job in the sector due to the large influx of females in social work, however, somebody suggested that it could work in my favour:dontknow:

So what kind of work are you doing at Zealify:smile:

It could definitely go in your favour! Having male role models in the field is surely a good thing!

Although I am studying Business Management at uni, I did a Health and Social Care BTEC at college. As part of my course I had to have a certain amount of work experience so I worked in care homes, a primary school, homes for people with learning disabilities and a nursery. I really enjoyed it but I decided that I didn't want to do it the long run.

My internship at Zealify has been really good. My title is a Business Development Associate so I've been doing a range of things but my main responsibilities have been running there social media (twitter and facebook), creating marketing plans and I've been doing a little bit of sales so I met with a client the other day to try and get his company to have a profile with us. Lots of stuff that will hopefully look good on my CV!

Is it a masters in social work you want to do? To be honest I don't think you will even need a masters to have a career in social work. Although you can never have too much education, I think it would be more worth your while to focus on getting experience.
Original post by DannyYYYY
Thank you!

Yeah, some universities offer a few funding options including bursaries/scholarships depending on your situation. I'd take a loot around on different university websites for a masters you're interested in and see what they say. :smile:

That's great, thanks so much! I'll definitely look into it :smile:
Original post by Wee.Guy
Studying: Economics
Upon graduating: still undecided but thinking about Investment Banking/management, Merchant Banking, Economist career wise, considering going a Masters first.

I love that you have a good idea about what you want. You sound very focused so good luck :smile:
Original post by winterbucky
I'm doing Computer Science and Maths and intend to go on a completely different route on graduating: going into User Experience Design.

Great career path! The tech industry is such an exciting place to be at the moment. I've been to some exciting tech events recently like the Y Combinator startup school! Lots of innovative things are going on it's a great thing to be part of. Where abouts are you studying?

Also What code languages are they teaching you at uni?
Reply 32
I want to bevome a qualified social worker specifically for elderly people, then maybe train further to help people having a crisis, such as debts, money issues etc (citizen's advice bureau)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by winterbucky
I'm doing Computer Science and Maths and intend to go on a completely different route on graduating: going into User Experience Design.

I forgot to mention there is a great user experience company called FoolProof who offer internships. I am not sure where you are based but they have offices in Norwich and London. They are pretty highly ranked in the 'best small companies to work for' list. Check them out.
Original post by Butterfly92
I want to bevome a qualified social worker specifically for elderly people, then maybe train further to help people having a crisis, such as debts, money issues etc (citizen's advice bureau)

Posted from TSR Mobile

So good to see so many people on this thread going into social and health care! You hear all the time about how they are in need of more social workers, nurses, doctors ect.

What are you studying?
Reply 35
Original post by EmmaFromZealify
So good to see so many people on this thread going into social and health care! You hear all the time about how they are in need of more social workers, nurses, doctors ect.

What are you studying?

I am studying Health and Social Care, but I am going to apply for an adjustment to see if I can transfer to an Applied Social Studies course instead! :smile:
Original post by EmmaFromZealify
It could definitely go in your favour! Having male role models in the field is surely a good thing!

Although I am studying Business Management at uni, I did a Health and Social Care BTEC at college. As part of my course I had to have a certain amount of work experience so I worked in care homes, a primary school, homes for people with learning disabilities and a nursery. I really enjoyed it but I decided that I didn't want to do it the long run.

My internship at Zealify has been really good. My title is a Business Development Associate so I've been doing a range of things but my main responsibilities have been running there social media (twitter and facebook), creating marketing plans and I've been doing a little bit of sales so I met with a client the other day to try and get his company to have a profile with us. Lots of stuff that will hopefully look good on my CV!

Is it a masters in social work you want to do? To be honest I don't think you will even need a masters to have a career in social work. Although you can never have too much education, I think it would be more worth your while to focus on getting experience.

I suppose you're right:smile:

Being a Business Development Associate seems like a lot of work, do you cope with the workload well?

Yeah I hear that a lot, experience is definitely a crucial factor in securing a career in social work. I have actually got an interview for the role as a support assistant, it would have me working in old people's own homes and caring for them. Some of the duties aren't exactly pleasant but it has got to help towards a job in social work right? What kind of work was you doing in the care homes?
I suppose you're right:smile:

Being a Business Development Associate seems like a lot of work, do you cope with the workload well?

Yeah I hear that a lot, experience is definitely a crucial factor in securing a career in social work. I have actually got an interview for the role as a support assistant, it would have me working in old people's own homes and caring for them. Some of the duties aren't exactly pleasant but it has got to help towards a job in social work right? What kind of work was you doing in the care homes?

I'm coping with the workload ok as the people I work with are really supportive so there's a lot of team discussions about what everyone is doing. If I struggle with anything I know I can ask for help or advice which is really nice.

Yeah care roles within homes are hard work but you do learn a lot. I did everything from personal care to being an activities assistant.

My mum works for a company called Essex Dementia who work with people who are in the early stages of dementia. She basically takes them out for lunches and trips to give their full time carers a break. Maybe look into similar companies like that? It's definitely the nicer side of elderly care. There are a lot of charities across the country that do a similar sort of thing with befriending services. It depends what you are willing to do I guess!
Original post by Butterfly92
I am studying Health and Social Care, but I am going to apply for an adjustment to see if I can transfer to an Applied Social Studies course instead! :smile:

Good move! :smile: Am I right in thinking applied social services is more experience based?

Quick Reply