The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by getfunky!
Manhattan was terrible, but the two-part story in series 5 was brilliant:yep: The Time of Angels, Flesh & Stone.

Aww I quite liked it. But series 5 ones were definitely better :yep:
Original post by shadowdweller
Exactly :h:

I've not seen them since they were first aired, pretty much the only eps I've not rewatched. You should watch Midnight again though, so awesome.

Aww you should, they're great. Woo for series 2!
Hmm, maybe I'll have to watch Midnight with you. I can only be hardcore 98% of the time :mmm:
Original post by Maid Marian
I adored Manhattan :sad: It was the angels two-parter that I hated. :frown:

But... the statue of liberty... I mean... how does that move anywhere without being seen? That and the fact that its entire purpose would have been served perfectly by a regular sized angel standing on the roof. That kind of cheap spectacle for the sake of a spectacle just annoys me. Moffatt often has great ideas that work in small, personal stories, the problem is when he decides to put all of reality at stake or invent cyber-daleks the size of a moon. When things get bigger and bigger for no reason, the story suffers.
Original post by bubble999
Aww I quite liked it. But series 5 ones were definitely better :yep:

Hoea lifen?
Original post by 99DeadBaboons
But... the statue of liberty... I mean... how does that move anywhere without being seen? That and the fact that its entire purpose would have been served perfectly by a regular sized angel standing on the roof. That kind of cheap spectacle for the sake of a spectacle just annoys me. Moffatt often has great ideas that work in small, personal stories, the problem is when he decides to put all of reality at stake or invent cyber-daleks the size of a moon. When things get bigger and bigger for no reason, the story suffers.

I agree, this is what has made the show seem poor over the last series, the writing has become far too ambitious and overcomplicated.
I hope series 8 is given similar treatment as series 5 or the earlier series.
I agree, this is what has made the show seem poor over the last series, the writing has become far too ambitious and overcomplicated.
I hope series 8 is given similar treatment as series 5 or the earlier series.

Well Capaldi is a pretty respected screenwriter and he's apparently put his foot down about a few things already so hopefully it'll stay nice and grounded.
Aww you should, they're great. Woo for series 2!
Hmm, maybe I'll have to watch Midnight with you. I can only be hardcore 98% of the time :mmm:

Nooo, I'm not rewatching it :afraid:

Dat 2% :mmm:

Hoea lifen?

PRSOM :moon:

PRSOM :moon:

:ahee:
Hoea lifen?

Oi, imma get my axe :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

N'aww, bless :mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's so weirdly simple yet clever.

Oh yeah, they were also terrifying - but since I have watched them a lot, I don't find them too bad anymore. Maybe I need to grow a pair and face Midnight, and watch it :afraid:

Midinght was good :yep: Scary too :yep: Along with the other ones you guys mentioned :biggrin: and the Vashta Nerada ones, them shadows that eat things :teehee:

10th Doctor Eps were the best :yep:

Oh I forgot, Empty Child, that was quite scary too, watched it at school in year 6 :moon: "Where's my mummy?" :afraid:
Original post by Black Rose
Midinght was good :yep: Scary too :yep: Along with the other ones you guys mentioned :biggrin: and the Vashta Nerada ones, them shadows that eat things :teehee:

10th Doctor Eps were the best :yep:

Oh I forgot, Empty Child, that was quite scary too, watched it at school in year 6 :moon: "Where's my mummy?" :afraid:

I've concluded it is the scariest one, simply because you never know what it was... and fear of the unknown and all :afraid:

Agreed! Tennant was the best :moon:

Paha, used to say it to my mum to freak her out :mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tennant was definitely my favourite, though I found 9 charming in a way. I feel like I would have liked 11 a lot more if I wasn't so frustrated by most of his storylines. I'm really looking forward to twelve. It seems like he's really going to be different to the other doctors of the new series.
Okay guys I went to see the ''Deep Breath preview'' at the BFI southbank and I can safely say that Capaldi is an absolutely fantastic doctor who fits the role alongside Jenna perfectly, we got to see the whole episode in a cinema packed full of whovians which was amazing, plus a q&a with the entire cast and then Peter Capaldi came out and took pictures, signed autographs with the fans. It was a shame Jenna just ran for her car but eh, can you really blame her when Rob Stark was the man at the wheel?

There's also a nice little reference to a previous standalone tennant episode, keep your eyes peeled, I was like ''I remember this!''
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by kramium
Okay guys I went to see the ''Deep Breath preview'' at the BFI southbank and I can safely say that Capaldi is an absolutely fantastic doctor who fits the role alongside Jenna perfectly, we got to see the whole episode in a cinema packed full of whovians which was amazing, plus a q&a with the entire cast and then Peter Capaldi came out and took pictures, signed autographs with the fans. It was a shame Jenna just ran for her car but eh, can you really blame her when Rob Stark was the man at the wheel?

There's also a nice little reference to a previous standalone tennant episode, keep your eyes peeled, I was like ''I remember this!''

I'm excited now :biggrin:
Original post by 99DeadBaboons
I'm excited now :biggrin:

It's also extremely witty, so there's less Matt Smith humour but in return there's more intelligent/situational humour which is great
Original post by kramium
It's also extremely witty, so there's less Matt Smith humour but in return there's more intelligent/situational humour which is great

Awesome! :smile::biggrin:
Anyone else watched the fan-made opening sequence that the new one is based on? I think it looks awful.

[video="youtube_share;oXOBHnWiinY"]http://youtu.be/oXOBHnWiinY[/video]
If anyone is thinking of staying up to watch the live stream, it's at 12PM not AM. Come back in 12 hours :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Turn Left/Blink were both good, as has been mentioned. Personally was a huge fan of Midnight too.

Turn Left is one of my absolute favourites!

Quick Reply

Latest