The Student Room Group

Buffer solutions

Hi, I'm just a bit confused ATM...

If we have a basic buffer solution which is composed of ammonia solution and ammonium chloride solution, what reactions occur to restore the pH when acid is added and when alkali is added?

Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Reply 2
Original post by lulu1997
If we have a basic buffer solution which is composed of ammonia solution and ammonium chloride solution, what reactions occur to restore the pH when acid is added and when alkali is added?

First of all - in what forms is ammonia present in the buffer solution? Which of these is an acid and which is a conjugate base?
Hi, I'm just a bit confused ATM...

Add alkali: shift of equilibrium position, hence retainment of pH
Add acid, increased [salt], hence equilibrium shift to alkali again to resist change

Le Chatalier. Simple.
Reply 4
Original post by Infraspecies
Add alkali: shift of equilibrium position, hence retainment of pH

Add acid: shift of equilibrium position, hence retainment of pH

You have just won this week's contest for the most useless answer.
Reply 5
Sorry I didn't make it clear - it's a basic buffer so the weak base is ammonia solution and the soluble salt of its conjugate acid is ammonium chloride solution (the ammonium ion is the conjugate acid)... I was just wondering what exact reactions occur which lead to the pH being restored. I got confused because I saw two sources stating different things.
Original post by Borek
Add acid: shift of equilibrium position, hence retainment of pH

You have just won this week's contest for the most useless answer.

What a bad put down.
Reply 7
Sorry I didn't make it clear - it's a basic buffer so the weak base is ammonia solution and the soluble salt of its conjugate acid is ammonium chloride solution (the ammonium ion is the conjugate acid)... I was just wondering what exact reactions occur which lead to the pH being restored. I got confused because I saw two sources stating different things.

First of all: it is not that "pH is being restored". pH does change when you add an acid or base to the buffer. Thing is: it doesn't change by as much as it would be the case there were no buffer present.

The reactions taking place are those you know: when you add an acid (H+) ammonia gets protonated, when you add a base (OH-), it reacts with NH4+ producing ammonia. In each case added H+or OH- is consumed and doesn't change pH directly. It shifts the equilibrium in the solution, slightly changing pH - but just by a tiny amount.
Reply 8
Hi I know Borek has explained it already and made it clear (mate I am gonna ask you if I ever have chemistry problems, you're like a walking knowledge!) but maybe those could help you too:
http://www.scienceclarified.com/A-Al/Acids-and-Bases.html
http://www.elmhurst.edu/~chm/vchembook/184ph.html
http://www.chemguide.co.uk/physical/acidbaseeqia/buffers.html

Quick Reply

Latest