The Student Room Group

Help with understanding geometrical isomers

Hi can anybody help my with this problem I have a structural formula and need to draw a pair of geometric isomers and explain why this isomerism arises.

I then need to draw the structure of another isomer of this compound that retains a double bond that does not give rise to a pair of geometrical isomers.

Structural formula
Br-CH=CH-CH-CH3
.....................|
................... Br
Thanks in advance for any help I'm just getting so confused.:confused:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Do some research on cis-trans (or E/Z) and you'll find your answer/s.
Reply 2
Im in exactly the same boat :mad::mad:
Reply 3
Original post by Pigster
Do some research on cis-trans (or E/Z) and you'll find your answer/s.

I have but don't exactly understand how is works with the structural formula.
Reply 4
Original post by jaymelou
Im in exactly the same boat :mad::mad:

Tell me about it I'm getting nowhere fast with this one :frown:
Reply 5
maybe we are doing the same course if so i hate the whole thing lol
Reply 6
Maybe I'm doing a chemistry course at the open university. It's only my first year but yeah got to agree some elements of this work I just don't like at all. I guess ill soldier on one day this stuff will click hopefully lol
Reply 7
Im doing an ou course to and i dont understand my whole assignment this time :angry:
Reply 8
Im doing an ou course to and i dont understand my whole assignment this time :angry:

Thats cool are you doing TMA 03 of S142 topics in science because that's what I'm getting stuck on :frown:
Reply 9
YEP !! and i can honestly say i havent got a clue for any of it and its driving me mental
Reply 10
YEP !! and i can honestly say i havent got a clue for any of it and its driving me mental

I just sent a message to the tutor asking loads of questions and reading over and over the text hoping it'll get me somewhere. Any particular part your stuck on?
Reply 11
Original post by Db170888
I just sent a message to the tutor asking loads of questions and reading over and over the text hoping it'll get me somewhere. Any particular part your stuck on?

Q3 aswell lol :mad:
Reply 12
Q3 aswell lol :mad:

Its nice to know I'm not alone struggling with this one I guess. What part of Q3 ayou struggling with a,b or c maybe I can help?
Reply 13
I think im ok with b and c so just A if you could im also stuck on 1d i think i may have to give up
Reply 14
I think im ok with b and c so just A if you could im also stuck on 1d i think i may have to give up

with 3 c I'm stuck on the second part of why the drugs don't last very long but for the first part I put

because unlike bacteria viruses don't carry out any metabolic processes of their own and use our cells as a host. Bacteria on the other hand has many stages to its own replication that give drugs a chance to interact and stop the process ie. penicillin with blocks the enzymes of cell wall growth in replication. Less chance drugs can interfere with viruses because of that. (Something along those lines) hope that helps.

For id. The -(CH2) - o - (CH2)4 (benzine ring) group on the right makes it longer lasting than salbutamol. The OH groups make it non addictive and CH2OH on the left make it resistant to enzyme deactivation.
Reply 15
with 3 c I'm stuck on the second part of why the drugs don't last very long but for the first part I put

because unlike bacteria viruses don't carry out any metabolic processes of their own and use our cells as a host. Bacteria on the other hand has many stages to its own replication that give drugs a chance to interact and stop the process ie. penicillin with blocks the enzymes of cell wall growth in replication. Less chance drugs can interfere with viruses because of that. (Something along those lines) hope that helps.

For id. The -(CH2) - o - (CH2)4 (benzine ring) group on the right makes it longer lasting than salbutamol. The OH groups make it non addictive and CH2OH on the left make it resistant to enzyme deactivation.

Thats brilliant makes abit more sense now ill keep trying to crack the geometric isomer and let you know
Reply 16
Thats brilliant makes abit more sense now ill keep trying to crack the geometric isomer and let you know

Glad to help hope my answers were clear. Ok thanks for that good luck with everything and if you get stuck just ask.
Reply 17
IS THIS IT ????Br .....CH(Br)CH3
..\....../
...C=C
../......\
H.......H

Trans:

H.......CH(Br)CH3
..\....../
...C=C
../......\
Br......H
Reply 18
IS THIS IT ????Br .....CH(Br)CH3
..\....../
...C=C
../......\
H.......H

Trans:

H.......CH(Br)CH3
..\....../
...C=C
../......\
Br......H

I don't know I'm getting confused with this one do the hydrogens move from the carbon is what I asked the tutor. This might be the right answer then just the second part of the question to go.
Reply 19
I don't know I'm getting confused with this one do the hydrogens move from the carbon is what I asked the tutor. This might be the right answer then just the second part of the question to go.

Yes i think the do its just the carbons that are double bonded
i think the next one is

H.......CH(Br)CH3
..\....../
...C=C
../......\
H.......Br

[font="Helvetica" Neue="Neue"]because it cant be change this way

Quick Reply

Latest