The Student Room Group

Can you ask a girl out 8 years later?

Scroll to see replies

You do realise that this is very stalkerish and most people in society would find this disturbing. Try giving up the stalking and go out and meet other people and if it doesnt work out don't obsess over them otherwise we may end up seeing you on crimewatch.
facebook it or twitter it.If shes not there then give up? sorry to be harsh I'd love for you and her to have that happily ever after but like what was said before:8 years is a long time...she might have forgot about you...happened to me and im at the end of secondary school,but for better or worse i dont really care about that girl now since ive clocked it wasnt genuine attraction just puppy love....
Reply 82
Original post by barneystin
become a millionaire.

you wont need to find her. she will find you.

This is also very true
Original post by bananaking
You do realise that this is very stalkerish and most people in society would find this disturbing. Try giving up the stalking and go out and meet other people and if it doesnt work out don't obsess over them otherwise we may end up seeing you on crimewatch.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I've been reading this and getting increasingly worried about everyone involved. If a guy I hadn't spoken to in eight years tracked me down by going to my old workplace I would be very scared. OP I know you mean well, but this is beginning to sound unhealthy. It is much less creepy to just set up a FB profile and send her a friend request. It may not be a romcom style romantic, but sadly a lot of romantic gestures in films would not be well received in real life.
Reply 84
I know you've said you're not on Facebook but have you maybe considered setting up a profile to send her a friend request? You don't have to use it, just send her a friend request and then if she accepts you can find out more about what her life is like now.

I'm not a huge user of Facebook myself but I have used it to politely decline a guy I knew was going to ask me out. I already had a boyfriend at the time and when he added me on Facebook he saw him in a lot of pictures and knew not to push things any further. I've also used it to find out the same about other people and also to show off my personality to people I don't know very well that I'd like to know better (currently a colleague of mine hehe).
Reply 85
Original post by syrettd
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I've been reading this and getting increasingly worried about everyone involved. If a guy I hadn't spoken to in eight years tracked me down by going to my old workplace I would be very scared. OP I know you mean well, but this is beginning to sound unhealthy. It is much less creepy to just set up a FB profile and send her a friend request. It may not be a romcom style romantic, but sadly a lot of romantic gestures in films would not be well received in real life.

Yeah you have a fair point. I'm not trying to be creepy, but the world we live in means that yes, in the 21st century, I might have to bite the bullet and contact her on FB.

Still I might make a movie one day with my ideal ending to this 8 year story haha

You never know, there is a 1 in 7 million chance of bumping into her whilst walking around London anyhow!
Reply 86
How do I change the title of another thread I have?
I have to say that I agree with bananaking and syrettd. It's a cute plot for a film, book, or television programme but those things aren't real and a lot of what seems perfect in fiction is often out of balance in the real world. I know that if a girl tracked me down after 8 years I would be more than a little freaked out. I'd be even more freaked out if a chance encounter turned out to be meticulous planning.
Original post by pshah2
Yeah you have a fair point. I'm not trying to be creepy, but the world we live in means that yes, in the 21st century, I might have to bite the bullet and contact her on FB.

Still I might make a movie one day with my ideal ending to this 8 year story haha

You never know, there is a 1 in 7 million chance of bumping into her whilst walking around London anyhow!

lol just read through the thread properly.

this is mad stalkerish, and will most likely creep her out.

how old are you?
Reply 89
Original post by Radio
I know you've said you're not on Facebook but have you maybe considered setting up a profile to send her a friend request? You don't have to use it, just send her a friend request and then if she accepts you can find out more about what her life is like now.

I'm not a huge user of Facebook myself but I have used it to politely decline a guy I knew was going to ask me out. I already had a boyfriend at the time and when he added me on Facebook he saw him in a lot of pictures and knew not to push things any further. I've also used it to find out the same about other people and also to show off my personality to people I don't know very well that I'd like to know better (currently a colleague of mine hehe).

I see your point. Only thing is wouldn't I then have to set up a profile and friend people on there etc, or else my page would be blank wouldn't it?

Yeah thing is I'm more of a face to face guy. Never really used FB, just a phone haha. Think I belong to the 20th century haha.

I agree though it would be a softer hello approach in the world we live in.

Just wish I could bump into her by accident. Tbh, I think it was puppy love and she had a boyfriend then, which is why I didn't ask for her number for fear of contacting her and saying something silly. Now I know she is single according to the FB profile I have seen. I wouldn't mind asking her out, but I guess long term, I would just like to be friends with her. I really got on with her and she had a lovely personality!
Reply 90
Original post by joelduggan
I have to say that I agree with bananaking and syrettd. It's a cute plot for a film, book, or television programme but those things aren't real and a lot of what seems perfect in fiction is often out of balance in the real world. I know that if a girl tracked me down after 8 years I would be more than a little freaked out. I'd be even more freaked out if a chance encounter turned out to be meticulous planning.

Haha fair point!
Original post by pshah2

I know you're not trying to be creepy, the problem is that it will most likely come across like that. And sadly I am talking from experience, but on the girl's side. You sound like a nice guy, I'd hate for this to be ruined for you because you came on too strong.
Reply 92
Original post by barneystin
lol just read through the thread properly.

this is mad stalkerish, and will most likely creep her out.

how old are you?

haha I know, look seriously it was by pure chance I happened upon her whilst my friend and I were looking up clients for our boss on linkedin.

I couldn't even remember her last name. I spent no more than 15 minutes on her profile.

Was just thinking about it that's all.

I've just graduated from uni, and I met her a while back when I was still at school. She had a bf then, so I never pursued her romantically, nor as a friend because I really fancied her.
Reply 93
Good point. I appreciate your advice. Tbh, I'm way too nervous a guy to go and ask the restaurant. I just happened upon her profile with a friend, looked at it for about 10-15 minutes, and TSR'ed it.

Maybe I'll friend her on FB if I sign up, otherwise not to worry! :smile:
Original post by pshah2
I see your point. Only thing is wouldn't I then have to set up a profile and friend people on there etc, or else my page would be blank wouldn't it?

I'm really only giving you this advice because it's a better alternative than your plans to track her down in person- you can set everything on your profile to private, so she wouldn't be able to see how many (or in your case if you have any) friends on Facebook. She might think it's a bit odd, but won't give it much thought. You can also explain that it's a new account.
Original post by pshah2
Yeah I know I wish! We met on an international sixth form course, didn't manage to ask her out then, due to nerves... I was hoping that we would have a thoughtful blue trumpet symbol after our first date..

This also feels like Ted trying to find Victoria in Season 1 haha

Please help Barney!

Haha I love this show! Really hope it works out dude :smile:

Original post by pshah2
THIS IS BRILLIANT.

How do I see in advance if i don't use FB?

Ah, depends on her profile settings. Go on her profile and have a look around, see if there are any events there that you can see
Reply 96
Original post by syrettd
I'm really only giving you this advice because it's a better alternative than your plans to track her down in person- you can set everything on your profile to private, so she wouldn't be able to see how many (or in your case if you have any) friends on Facebook. She might think it's a bit odd, but won't give it much thought. You can also explain that it's a new account.

Oh okay, that's a good point. I mean I have friends and all in life haha, just I never really got onto FB. More of a phone guy tbh.

So just set up an account, and she won't be able to see that I have zero friends haha?
How do I make it look respectable.. and what do I say online to say hi? I just feel that when you meet someone you knew on the street or at a party, it's easier to say hi than explain in through a text or email message..
Original post by bananaking

Plenty of people on here are for it, so I'm not sure you can say that about most people in society! Anyway, it depends how he goes about it. If he gives it an attempt, ask her out - either she says yes and they'll see where it goes, and if she says no and he backs of he's all good. Only gets weird if he won't leave her alone!
I honestly don't see the problem with asking.
Reply 98
Original post by joker12345
Haha I love this show! Really hope it works out dude :smile:

Ah, depends on her profile settings. Go on her profile and have a look around, see if there are any events there that you can see

This show is AWESOME!!!

Cool. Will check it out. Any other advice wingman?
Reply 99
Original post by pshah2

Yeah thing is I'm more of a face to face guy. Never really used FB, just a phone haha. Think I belong to the 20th century haha.

I agree though it would be a softer hello approach in the world we live in.

Just wish I could bump into her by accident. Tbh, I think it was puppy love and she had a boyfriend then, which is why I didn't ask for her number for fear of contacting her and saying something silly. Now I know she is single according to the FB profile I have seen. I wouldn't mind asking her out, but I guess long term, I would just like to be friends with her. I really got on with her and she had a lovely personality!

Haha yeah I think you'd need to find a few more friends too but you could always get away with saying something like "I'm new to Facebook" and she'd understand why it's not as busy as an older profile.

Facebook is the 21st century stalking for me even just responding to some of the things she's posted and showing an interest will remind her that you exist. I'm the same though, there are definitely some people I'd like to accidentally-on-purpose meet in the street!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending