Watch
nonipaify
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Please go the following link:

http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/C..._s12_qp_42.pdf

And read the question number 5. I don't know how to do the second part. Can someone please show me step by step EASY to follow instructions to attempt the question of this sort? Please show me where the tension is acting in this case? please define tension in a string. I never understand what my teacher tells me and this is the last bit in mechanics I find tough. TENSION in a string.
tory88
  • Study Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
tension in a string always acts whichever way the string is pulling the object, so in your example S2 acts upwards towards the ceiling. To solve the second part, consider the forces acting on each particle separately. To do this, draw two diagrams, both only showing each particle, and label every force. From here, it should be straightforward to find the acceleration.

If you're still stuck, quote me and post your working so far and I'll try to identify where you're going wrong.
nonipaify
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
[QUOTE=tory88;49063618]tension in a string always acts whichever way the string is pulling the object, so in your example S2 acts upwards towards the ceiling. To solve the second part, consider the forces acting on each particle separately. To do this, draw two diagrams, both only showing each particle, and label every force. From here, it should be straightforward to find the acceleration.

If you're still stuck, quote me and post your working so far and I'll try to identify where you're going

I managed it but thanks aloooot anyways! Love you
tory88
  • Study Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by nonipaify)
I managed it but thanks aloooot anyways! Love you
No problem. Glad you managed it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (637)
33.6%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (798)
42.09%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (376)
19.83%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (85)
4.48%

Watched Threads