The Student Room Group

Can you ask a girl out 8 years later?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pshah2
LEGENDARY!

Also real life is what matters... having a million friends on facebook doesn't seem the same as having even just one or two or a few real friends like in Friends or HIMYM.

___________________________-

"I'm Lorenzo... Lorenzo Von Matterhorn..... True Story."

but you realise those shows were largely before FB was this popular. even though FB was popular when HIMYM started, it wasnt as much as it is now, where people can be on it on their phones 24/7.
:lol: Does anyone not realise that post 11 was the thread starter and he continued replying to people's post as someone else :lol:
Reply 122
Original post by Anonymous
:lol: Does anyone not realise that post 11 was the thread starter and he continued replying to people's post as someone else :lol:

Whaat? Nah that's some other dude I think. Their grammar is not my style haha
Reply 123
Original post by barneystin
but you realise those shows were largely before FB was this popular. even though FB was popular when HIMYM started, it wasnt as much as it is now, where people can be on it on their phones 24/7.

I see your point. What we need is a new sitcom that displays romantic interactions on Facebook.

What's your advice then bro?

_______
SUIT UP!
omg :rofl:

tell more....

did you get a RO?

No. Police were briefly involved but I didn't want to take it further. He wasn't a bad guy, just a bit clueless, and I really don't think he meant to scare me so badly- he was kind of copying some of the things in a favourite film of mine. To this day I still don't know how he knew where I lived, most people don't know my address.
Original post by pshah2
Cool. But would she be responsive or friendly if my entire profile was just all private?
What should I say n the friend request? Sorry I am a newbie!

Not gonna lie, might find it a bit odd, but it's not something she'll think a lot about. Have a nice photo of you, send the request and just say something like 'Hey, remember me?'. If she's a decent person she'll add you and reply.
Original post by pshah2
I see your point. What we need is a new sitcom that displays romantic interactions on Facebook.

What's your advice then bro?

_______
SUIT UP!

seriously? My advice is to stop being so creepy. this thread is just filled with cringe. its been 8 years. you dont even know her that well. lifes not a movie.

Reply 127
To this day I still don't know how he knew where I lived, most people don't know my address.

I had a terrifying moment when I left the house one day and a guy I'd went to school with (who was known for his anger issues and I'd politely turned him down several times) was stood directly across the road. Luckily he was looking the other way when I left the house so I hurried to the car and he never saw me.
I was really quite shaken but then I realised he had a job going door to door and it was pure coincidence that I'd left the house at the moment he was there!

Sorry, that was a bit of a random story but your story reminded me of it!
To this day I still don't know how he knew where I lived, most people don't know my address.

this is just :rofl:

but I can imagine how scared you must have been
Original post by Radio
I had a terrifying moment when I left the house one day and a guy I'd went to school with (who was known for his anger issues and I'd politely turned him down several times) was stood directly across the road. Luckily he was looking the other way when I left the house so I hurried to the car and he never saw me.
I was really quite shaken but then I realised he had a job going door to door and it was pure coincidence that I'd left the house at the moment he was there!

Sorry, that was a bit of a random story but your story reminded me of it!

Haha yeah, we all have those paranoid moments sometimes- I sometimes catch sight of a stranger and think 'Holy **** that's my ex!' even though I'm pretty sure he lives in another country, or at least definitely not in this city!

this is just :rofl:

but I can imagine how scared you must have been

Yeah, but looking back I can find these things kind of funny- mostly because it wasn't the only time I had to get the police involved because of a man :facepalm: if your luck is that bad, it's better to laugh then get sad about it!
YES YOU CAN YOU ROMANTIC YOU!

If you both got on well, then you're bound to recognise each other (you never forget a face) and hit it off again, except I'm guessing you're now both sexually active adults!

Go for it bro
Yes and also I agree that in person is wayyy better than facebook
Original post by joker12345
Agreed! Your first post made me think himym as well but I didn't mention it for fear of looking weird :')
I have to disagree with some of the posters on the final page, as long as you're planning to just give it a go and back off if she doesn't seem interested I really don't see what's wrong with wanting to do it properly, ie in person, in case it does all go right!
The old workplace was a decent plan, definitely go in as 'we were friends and I know she worked here, we fell out of contact a little and was just wondering where she's working now' - might be better to go to some more junior staff as they may have been her friends/will likely be more helpful. If you know the current company she's working in surely a Google search will give you her address though?
P.S. I think it's sad that it's cool to facebook stalk someone and ask them out on there but apparently creepy/weird to want to do it in real life!

Yep. Nothing wrong with being a romantic.

And face to face is reality. Much better and sweeter to do this.

I'm sure you'll hit it off if you find her mate.

Far more creepy and weird and impersonal to do it online!

Also HIMYM is epic!!!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 133
Original post by joker12345
Agreed! Your first post made me think himym as well but I didn't mention it for fear of looking weird :')
I have to disagree with some of the posters on the final page, as long as you're planning to just give it a go and back off if she doesn't seem interested I really don't see what's wrong with wanting to do it properly, ie in person, in case it does all go right!
The old workplace was a decent plan, definitely go in as 'we were friends and I know she worked here, we fell out of contact a little and was just wondering where she's working now' - might be better to go to some more junior staff as they may have been her friends/will likely be more helpful. If you know the current company she's working in surely a Google search will give you her address though?
P.S. I think it's sad that it's cool to facebook stalk someone and ask them out on there but apparently creepy/weird to want to do it in real life!

Yeah I agree bro!

All I'm thinking is to reconnect, and if she doesn't recognise me or rejects me then, at least I tried!

What can I do though?

I really wish I just bumped into her on the street, but London is a big place!

It may be a HIMYM type chance meeting who knows! Bit like the halloween slutty pumpkin!
Reply 134
Original post by Radio
That could work too, I tend to go with Facebook because I can pretend I casually came across them and I don't need to send them a message to find out about their life but I suppose Twitter could work too :smile:

I'd prefer Twitter. But is there a way to send private messages on Twitter rather than have the whole world see my attempt to reconnect with her?
Original post by pshah2
I'd prefer Twitter. But is there a way to send private messages on Twitter rather than have the whole world see my attempt to reconnect with her?

Yes you can and should contact her!

Mm not sure. In person > Twitter > Advert in the Paper > Facebook

Go for it with a nothing to lose attitude.

Not sure if it's possible to pvt message on twitter, but if you can do it. Otherwise, do it public and go for it!
Original post by pshah2

Yes, you can, and this is a good method. But I haven't used Twitter in a long time, so I can't remember how to do it.
You will have to get to know her all over again, just invite her out for a coffee with you or something for you two to get to know each other- then see where it goes from there :smile:
Reply 138
Original post by NaomiJenkins
You will have to get to know her all over again, just invite her out for a coffee with you or something for you two to get to know each other- then see where it goes from there :smile:

That sounds good! Only thing is how do I contact her? I just found out she works in London. I don't have her phone number and I'm not on FB..

Is there some way to pm her on Twitter?
Tweet her something!!

Nothing to lose.

Get some followers first and build a profile. You've had 8 years, a few months makes little difference.

Just buzz her and be like Do you remember me?

Simples!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending