The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sr90
Don't bother, honestly.

It's so tempting, it says it's the globally the most popular football forum in the world.

Back for an encore, Arsenal friends

Can't ****ing wait
Original post by Micah Richards
He was world class, there was no doubt about it. He wasn't inconsistent 'to an extent' - he was riddled by it throughout his career. But he was a pure match winner, even in his **** seasons, and he thrived on the big occasion. And ultimately that is his legacy - whenever Chelsea needed him the most, he was at his best.

Physically and technically, he had everything. Everything. Didn't use his dribbling skills to full effect sometimes. No doubt his inconsistency wasn't helped by a constantly changing manager and system.

Definitely world class.

Hmm yeah I can see your reasoning.

Tbh I see the strikers now getting close to a goal a game every season. I guess attacking play has improved/defence has weakened.

Being a big game player doesn't make you world class and the definition is loosely claimed. Out of natural strikers He was only behind the likes of Torres, Eto'o and Henry at his peak. There was a point where it was Drogba, Torres or Rooney around 08-2010 when all 3 were world class then the likes of RVP, Aguero and Suarez changed it up as the top world class strikers.
Reply 2663
The word World class is thrown around far too easily nowadays. Not a dig at Didier; just in general.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Beating Chelsea would be good this season. Only team in the league I expect a loss against every single time.
Original post by jam278
Hmm yeah I can see your reasoning.

Tbh I see the strikers now getting close to a goal a game every season. I guess attacking play has improved/defence has weakened.

Being a big game player doesn't make you world class and the definition is loosely claimed. Out of natural strikers He was only behind the likes of Torres, Eto'o and Henry at his peak. There was a point where it was Drogba, Torres or Rooney around 08-2010 when all 3 were world class then the likes of RVP, Aguero and Suarez changed it up as the top world class strikers.

He was more than just a big game player of course, but I think it'd be hard to find a player that does match his record in big games. Aside from the ridiculous goals record in finals and semi finals, as well as dragging you to a CL win, he made mincemeat of Arsenal, Liverpool to a lesser degree, and I can remember some truly outstanding performances against United, ie the top four in his time here.

He was in the elite bracket of his generation along with Torres, Villa, Eto'o, Forlan, Zlatan etc...
Original post by FKLW
The word World class is thrown around far too easily nowadays. Not a dig at Didier; just in general.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, it's two words actually, and there's no accepted defintion, so...

'A player who could get into any team in the world that isn't Barca, Bayern or Madrid' is a decent definition for the present time?
Drogba, technically very good? Not really. More often than not his ball control was poor and he looked clumsy. He was good in the air and (sometimes) could use his strength well (at times he would rather look for a foul, dive, roll around on the floor). I mean Giroud has flashes of technical brilliance but we don't call him a technical player do we? Drogba did not excel at that.

In the Premier League he had two stand out seasons, that was all. He is not among the greatest of his generation, probably not even in the top 10 or top 20. Granted he had some big game performances but that doesn't hide his slightly above average goal scoring record, does it?
Original post by jam278
Drogba was a weird player.

Obviously provides a lot to the team. His goalscoring record was either exceptional or poor. I would say to an extent that he was inconsistent. But easily world class on his day.

higher echelons of strikers but would go short to calling him world class. Although has had world class seasons but there was never a period of 2/3 years he's been consistently in world class form.

Very honest assessment there. I've basically said this to a few of my Chelsea supporting mates but they just parred me off with "you're only saying that cause he always dominates Arsenal."
Original post by sr90
Then there's Red Issue which isn't even worth talking about.

Why's that?
Reply 2670
Well, it's two words actually, and there's no accepted defintion, so...

'A player who could get into any team in the world that isn't Barca, Bayern or Madrid' is a decent definition for the present time?

Lol **** you.

Meh it still depends. Just don't like it when people call very good players World Class because, imo, there's a difference.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Four Queue
Very honest assessment there. I've basically said this to a few of my Chelsea supporting mates but they just parred me off with "you're only saying that cause he always dominates Arsenal."

Bare in mind though that Drogba has struggled due to being dropped by Scolari unfairly which explains one poor tally for one of his seasons. In 11-12 he played in a shocking team too.

I reckon that if he played for another club that wasn't Chelsea, he'd have been world class without a doubt. He'd have loved it at the italian clubs.

One guy who I always thought was underrated was Diego Milito. He couldn't get into the Argentina team in 2010 as Aguero, Messi and Higuain were there but he had very good spells when he came into europe. He had one poor season at Inter in 2010-11 but he was probably the best striker in the world(bar Messi) in 09-10, he had a similar season in 2011-12 too. He moved to Inter too late and after he won the treble the whole inter team declined so he didn't get too much exposure outside of Italy.
(edited 9 years ago)
I've never been on Red Issue because they want me to make an account ffs

If you need to make an account to view it and yet it's still as popular as it is, what does that tell you about the content? Best non Villa forum going. It's no holds barred and everybody is a **** on there, all other forums are basically forums for 12 year olds in comparison, plus they don't actually discuss football that much so it's good to read. And on all other forums you have too many sub forums, on that it's just 'main' and it includes all football and off topic stuff.

Thing is if you think I'm bad with the local team thing you'll probably cry if you're a Man Utd fan and you go on there.

Red And White Kop is not as bad as people make out, they are sound with me except for when we rolled over vs Man City last season :biggrin:. A bit delusional but nice posters generally.
Original post by little_tom
Drogba, technically very good? Not really. More often than not his ball control was poor and he looked clumsy. He was good in the air and (sometimes) could use his strength well (at times he would rather look for a foul, dive, roll around on the floor). I mean Giroud has flashes of technical brilliance but we don't call him a technical player do we? Drogba did not excel at that.

In the Premier League he had two stand out seasons, that was all. He is not among the greatest of his generation, probably not even in the top 10 or top 20. Granted he had some big game performances but that doesn't hide his slightly above average goal scoring record, does it?

80 ball control on fifa. its his agility and balance that let him down.

giroud is a technical player. his little flicks and backheels, and that Bergkampesque control he displayed for a goal last year :coma:(cant remember who it was against but im sure everyone remembers the goal?)
Original post by jam278
Bare in mind though that Drogba has struggled due to being dropped by Scolari unfairly which explains one poor tally for one of his seasons. In 11-12 he played in a shocking team too.

I reckon that if he played for another club that wasn't Chelsea, he'd have been world class without a doubt. He'd have loved it at the italian clubs.

One guy who I always thought was underrated was Diego Milito. He couldn't get into the Argentina team in 2010 as Aguero, Messi and Higuain were there but he had very good spells when he came into europe. He had one poor season at Inter in 2010-11 but he was probably the best striker in the world(bar Messi) in 09-10, he had a similar season in 2011-12 too. He moved to Inter too late and after he won the treble the whole inter team declined so he didn't get too much exposure outside of Italy.

Yeah agreed about Milito. He got the business done in the big matches too. I remember when they were picking the Argentina squad for 2010 WC and their strike force options were godly. They literally had about 6 forwards coming off the back of a 25+ goal season.
Reply 2675
Let me guess, this Drogba discussion was started because of a post from Arsenal Mania.
Arsenal Mania is the worst name for a football forum I've ever heard.
I hope what I am hearing about a £26.3m bid for Hulk is just a poorly-timed joke, because he is utter *******s. Especially now we know that Reus has a buyout clause of £19.8m. Get him in and our Giroud sized problem is solved.
Original post by BenAssirati
I hope what I am hearing about a £26.3m bid for Hulk is just a poorly-timed joke, because he is utter *******s. Especially now we know that Reus has a buyout clause of £19.8m. Get him in and our Giroud sized problem is solved.

Ewwww Hulk. If this was 09 I would've been excited but he hasn't lived up the hype that we thought he would.
Original post by BenAssirati
IEspecially now we know that Reus has a buyout clause of £19.8m.

is this even fact or is it rumoured?

Latest