The Student Room Group

SQA Results' Day Discussion Thread - Tuesday 5 August 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2340
Original post by laurenmhari
Well done! I'm hoping to apply to do international relations there also :smile: yeah you'd get a conditional likely

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome, thanks and good luck :smile:
Reply 2341
Original post by Asklepios
Basically you'll be doing an interdisciplinary project on top of your AHs. Keep in mind that you'll already be doing three science investigations so it will be a lot of work in s6. No university for medicine, as far as I'm aware, looks at ScotBacc.

So really it's up to you whether you WANT to do it or not. Don't choose to do it because you feel it will put you in a better position with UCAS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmmm OK thanks. So say I don't do the baccalaureate, do u think I would be silly doing both the highers (business and pe) along with the 3 AH?
Hey there! I know I'm a bit late here but was hoping for some advice...On Tuesday I received my results and was pleased to achieve the following results:

Higher English- A (complete surprise)
Higher Maths- B(tad upset as was best subject throughout the year)
Higher Physics- B
Higher Chemistry- B
Higher German- C(got a B in my prelim but life goes on I guess haha)

Anyhow, I'm interested in engineering courses at Strathclyde and heriot watt and am aware the former will probably not even consider me, but it states heriot watt's standard entry requirements are BBBBC or AABB and while I'm aware I have exceeded them(only slightly) I understand that people with much higher than me will also apply... Am I still in for a shot of getting a conditional offer? Thanks in advance and congrats on everybody's fantastic results!

Oh also should probably mention I'm hoping to sit AH maths, AH graph comm, H music and H art next year
(edited 9 years ago)
What I want to know if why the SQA don't include the actual marks you got , its really irritating! Much preferred the GCSE system. Still, can't complain too much with 5 A's :biggrin:
I'm a little late to the discussion, but yeah, 'twas good news for me. Some of you may remember the drama I posted about a few months back, to do with my physics investigation. Despite my teacher telling me I'd fail and deserve to, and actively trying to fail me off of the course and convince me to not bother sitting the exam, I managed to get an A in Physics, and As in Maths, Mechanics, and English too. Which got me into Imperial to study Physics w/ Theoretical Physics for the next four years. Somehow, a miracle has been worked, thanks to a dollop of perseverance and a whole heaping tonne of luck and help from others.
So, thanks to the TSR ScotQuals community for the support and advice whenever I popped in throughout the year, and I hope you all got the grades you wanted.

EDIT:
TL;DR is I got 4 As at AH for Maths, Phys, Mechanics, and English, which got me into ICL to do a Phys w/ Theoretical Phys 4-year MSci. Thanks to everyone who helped out when I popped in here throughout the year.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SparkleMotion1
Hey there! I know I'm a bit late here but was hoping for some advice...On Tuesday I received my results and was pleased to achieve the following results:

Higher English- A (complete surprise)
Higher Maths- B(tad upset as was best subject throughout the year)
Higher Physics- B
Higher Chemistry- B
Higher German- C(got a B in my prelim but life goes on I guess haha)

Anyhow, I'm interested in engineering courses at Strathclyde and heriot watt and am aware the former will probably not even consider me, but it states heriot watt's standard entry requirements are BBBBC or AABB and while I'm aware I have exceeded them(only slightly) I understand that people with much higher than me will also apply... Am I still in for a shot of getting a conditional offer? Thanks in advance and congrats on everybody's fantastic results!

Oh also should probably mention I'm hoping to sit AH maths, AH graph comm, H music and H art next year

Hey, really well done on your results, you should be really happy with them!

Yes, you are still in with a shot of a conditional offer - they don't purely look at grades, they will look at you as a person as well, with the interview (if you have one) and your Personal Statement taken into consideration as well!
Original post by SeventhSon
What I want to know if why the SQA don't include the actual marks you got , its really irritating! Much preferred the GCSE system. Still, can't complain too much with 5 A's :biggrin:

As far as Im aware, you should be able to speak to your school/college to enquire about marks...

Someone please correct me if Im wrong - Anyway, really well done with the results!
Original post by AmisThysia
I'm a little late to the discussion, but yeah, 'twas good news for me. Some of you may remember the drama I posted about a few months back, to do with my physics investigation. Despite my teacher telling me I'd fail and deserve to, and actively trying to fail me off of the course and convince me to not bother sitting the exam, I managed to get an A in Physics, and As in Maths, Mechanics, and English too. Which got me into Imperial to study Physics w/ Theoretical Physics for the next four years. Somehow, a miracle has been worked, thanks to a dollop of perseverance and a whole heaping tonne of luck and help from others.
So, thanks to the TSR ScotQuals community for the support and advice whenever I popped in throughout the year, and I hope you all got the grades you wanted.

EDIT:
TL;DR is I got 4 As at AH for Maths, Phys, Mechanics, and English, which got me into ICL to do a Phys w/ Theoretical Phys 4-year MSci. Thanks to everyone who helped out when I popped in here throughout the year.

Awesome - thats what the site is here for! Really well done with your results though, you should be really happy!
Do you need to apply for saas even if you're not taking out a student loan

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by weejackie10
Do you need to apply for saas even if you're not taking out a student loan

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes to get your fees paid for. The SAAS deadline has already passed though
Original post by :D'
Hmmm OK thanks. So say I don't do the baccalaureate, do u think I would be silly doing both the highers (business and pe) along with the 3 AH?

All you would need for university is 3AHs. Anything more isn't necessarily silly as there is more to studying school subjects that simply getting into uni! If you enjoy business and PE and want to study them, then by all means go ahead. Same applies for the Scottish Baccalaureate IP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mobbsy91
As far as Im aware, you should be able to speak to your school/college to enquire about marks...

Someone please correct me if Im wrong - Anyway, really well done with the results!

Yep, but some schools don't like telling you marks. They're technically not supposed to anyway. However, if you're persistent enough you should be able to find them out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought it was only bandings the school could share with us? In fourth year for the two int2s I sat I was only told the bands

Posted from TSR Mobile
If a uni is asking for aaab (scottish highers) and someone has bbbcc and is now going on to sit 2 adv highers and another higher would they get a conditional offer orbbe told you couldn't get in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bluebells60
If a uni is asking for aaab (scottish highers) and someone has bbbcc and is now going on to sit 2 adv highers and another higher would they get a conditional offer orbbe told you couldn't get in?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends on the level of competition and on the strength of other parts of your application. If your predicted grades are strong (say > BB in your AHs and an A in your H) and you have a good personal statement then they may consider you for a conditional offer.

The best thing to do would be to phone or email the university and ask whether it is likely they would consider you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AmisThysia

EDIT:

Congratulations! Hope you have a great time in London.
Hey, really well done on your results, you should be really happy with them!

Yes, you are still in with a shot of a conditional offer - they don't purely look at grades, they will look at you as a person as well, with the interview (if you have one) and your Personal Statement taken into consideration as well!

Okay thanks a lot! I'll keep all that in mind. I'm also hoping to do the Scottish baccalaureate in S6 and I think HW welcome that as an improvement on your application so think I might apply to 3 "safe" choices and 2 riskier ones and just see how it goes :smile:
Reply 2357
Best uni for sports science in Scotland? Glasgow, stirling or edinburgh.
Reply 2358
Best uni for sports science in Scotland? Glasgow, stirling or edinburgh.
I got ABBCC in my highers this year (S5), but the minimum requirements for a conditional offer at Glasgow (in MA Politics) is ABBB. Do My 2 C's make up for the extra B I missed out on, and if so, what do you think ( if I do get an offer) the conditions of an offer could be?

Quick Reply