The Student Room Group

The Official TSR Fantasy Football League 2014/15

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alex Doran
Odemwingie has been a striker at previous clubs but he has always played out wide or behind the striker at Stoke, he is a good option if there are injuries up top but there are better options at the same price (like Siggy.)

Is Odemwingie nailed on though? Stoke have a lot of players vying for 4 attacking spots. They've signed Diouf & Bojan who you'd expect to start, plus there's Arnie, Crouch and Ireland already there. If they sign Assaidi from Liverpool that would only complicate things further.

Stoke will do well this season I reckon, they've got a fantastic of opening fixtures and a decent squad. Could be some real value in some of their players, difficulty is knowing who to pick. That's why i've gone for Begovic. Even against the big teams he should be good for save points.
Reply 661
Original post by fallen_acorns
young has been on amazing form these past 2 weeks - and should get lots of minutes if he keeps playing at this level.. but you always feel he is just a second away from an injury/dip in form

I see what you mean, yeah that's ashely young for you but he can come with a few pearlers if he wants!

Original post by Louis.
I think the only options at Man Utd are De Gea, Shaw, Mata, Rooney and if you're feeling brave enough to spend 12.5 then RVP. Potentially a CB too, although I think there are better options at and around 5.5m.

Valencia and Young will most likely be squad players, and you'll have the frustration of seeing your wingers spend half the match defending and not getting clean sheet points for it.

Herrera is quite popular and I can kind of understand it given the lack of mid price midfield options, but I still think you'd be better saving 1.5m in Sigurdsson, or finding the 0.5m to get Eriksen. Think Mirallas is the same price as Herrera too.

Ugh, I have 7.0 left if I take out Young. Unless I want to downgrade my keeper Howard to some at 5.0 or downgrade Luis - Vertonghen - Koscielny to a 5.5, then I could bring in Eriksen or Mirallas. I have no idea how Spurs will do under Pottechino. Mirallas seems a bit patchy too.
Original post by iRush
Ugh, I have 7.0 left if I take out Young. Unless I want to downgrade my keeper Howard to some at 5.0 or downgrade Luis - Vertonghen - Koscielny to a 5.5, then I could bring in Eriksen or Mirallas. I have no idea how Spurs will do under Pottechino. Mirallas seems a bit patchy too.

I presume you have Sigurdsson already?

I'd drop Vertonghen for Ben Davies which gives you the £8m for Eriksen.
Reply 663
Al Ahmadi and Pelle

or

Sigurdsson and a 6mil striker (don't know which?)
Protips for noobs:

-don't spend much, if anything on subs, just ensure that they play
-don't bother with week-in-week-out goalkeeper rotation, ever. If you've got TWO decent keepers and you sub them for each other every few weeks, then why not just use the value of the second keeper somewhere else and just an FT when you want the new keeper
-spend big on big points scorers and accept the occasional 2 off a sub or a lower scorer, instead of going for two middle range options (in general, especially for strikers seeing as how overpowered and expensive the best strikers are)
-don't be afraid of taking a hit, but don't go overboard - control is key
-back Tony Pulis and Mourinho
-expensive defenders are a big yes
-Sanchez, Odemwingie are strikers playing in midfield
-Shaw is a midfielder playing in defence
-if a bandwagon is developing, take a gamble and get in there early
-if there is a bandwagon, it's never too late to jump on it
-swap in and out with your big players
-Giroud is a **** footballer, don't pick him
-get on the early season bandwagons if you want a massive team value (and you really should want that)
-follow the crowd with your captain choice, unless you're playing catch up
-look for teams with complimenting home/away schedules to rotate your cheap defenders
-be prepared to make BIG transfers in the first few weeks/after the window closes. Don't put off a wildcard too long

There was a user on here last years whose strategy last year was just choose your 'must haves', the players who are going to have big seasons, then build your team around them and simply don't compromise on those players, they'll be your big earners. He did pretty well, I suggest you follow him.

Sanchez, Shaw and Rooney are the must haves right now, might be a few more but I haven't looked at the fixtures (I know that United's are amazing) anyway
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by aja89
Al Ahmadi and Pelle

or

Sigurdsson and a 6mil striker (don't know which?)

Danny Ings scores a lot of goals for a 6m player

as a general point, was reading around goal rates in the championship vs the PL. It's not as big a step up as people say. If a striker is 0.5 goals a game in the championship then on average he's 0.4 goals a game in the PL, or the stat reads something like that anyway.
(edited 9 years ago)
So this took me half an hour lol, still not looked at the fixtures properly but City's look hard at a quick glance (just changed Silva > Mata after this pic)

No doubt you guys will give better options for the 13.5 of deadwood (on two defenders and Ahmadi) I just spent?

Also Krul's fixtures look good and he's a top keeper, why is he so cheap lol

Picked Bony over Dzeko because of Edin's fixtures, and I'm happy with wildcarding after 3 GWs as well.

Shaw Debuchy Filipe
Henderson Mata Hazard Sanchez
Rooney Ings Bony

actually looks pretty decent atm, depending on how Ings does. Will dump Hazard for Cesc instantly if it turns out that Cesc is going to play as the number 10, then add the extra money to go Ings to Remy
(edited 9 years ago)
My current team now, feel free to pass judgement :smile:

Original post by Micah Richards
So this took me half an hour lol, still not looked at the fixtures properly but City's look hard at a quick glance (just changed Silva > Mata after this pic)

No doubt you guys will give better options for the 13.5 of deadwood (on two defenders and Ahmadi) I just spent?

Also Krul's fixtures look good and he's a top keeper, why is he so cheap lol

Picked Bony over Dzeko because of Edin's fixtures, and I'm happy with wildcarding after 3 GWs as well.

Shaw Debuchy Filipe
Henderson Mata Hazard Sanchez
Rooney Ings Bony

actually looks pretty decent atm, depending on how Ings does. Will dump Hazard for Cesc instantly if it turns out that Cesc is going to play as the number 10, then add the extra money to go Ings to Remy

Mariappa isn't a definite starter, he's had competition in preseason and hasn't been playing most games
Original post by Micah Richards
-

Krul's cheap because Newcastle's defence is awful. I was briefly tempted by him, or one of their 4.5 defenders, but I don't think they'll keep any clean sheets. I doubt Krul will score any more points than someone like Foster or Mannone at the same price.
What do you guys think of Bojan? He's 5.5 mil and Stoke's fixtures aren't too bad, Bojan has scored 3 goals in 3 preseason games also.
Original post by The.Joker
What do you guys think of Bojan? He's 5.5 mil and Stoke's fixtures aren't too bad, Bojan has scored 3 goals in 3 preseason games also.

I've just put him in instead of Giroud, which saved me a tidy £3 million and worked wonders for bolstering my midfield/substitute keeper.
Original post by The.Joker

Probably the best 5.5 mil striker and most wont buy him because they think Stoke only play defensively, even though under Hughes that isnt really true.
Original post by mccrae01
Probably the best 5.5 mil striker and most wont buy him because they think Stoke only play defensively, even though under Hughes that isnt really true.

Original post by King Hotpie
I've just put him in instead of Giroud, which saved me a tidy £3 million and worked wonders for bolstering my midfield/substitute keeper.

I picked him up considering its a low risk choice, hopefully he'll bang in a fair few goals. It also saved me enough money to add Sanchez into my team, I just hope he starts the season well since 10.5 is a lot for a midfielder.

My team now is;

DDG
Wisdom/Davies/Debuchy/Filipe Luis
Sanchez/Fabregas/Mata
Rooney/Sturridge/Bojan
Original post by Stevo F
Mariappa isn't a definite starter, he's had competition in preseason and hasn't been playing most games

I had a look and he's played at least 45 minutes in every game, for the last two he's played the full 90. Sounds fine to me :dontknow: Unless they sign a full back he's staying in my team, worth the gamble for a Tony Pulis defender. I know there's Ward but I prefer Caulker & Ben Davies at 5.0.
Original post by sr90
I had a look and he's played at least 45 minutes in every game, for the last two he's played the full 90. Sounds fine to me :dontknow: Unless they sign a full back he's staying in my team, worth the gamble for a Tony Pulis defender. I know there's Ward but I prefer Caulker & Ben Davies at 5.0.

Oh fair enough, hadn't looked at the last 2, saw a forum about it and someone said that Dann was guaranteed and that Delaney might take the other spot at CB
Original post by Stevo F
Oh fair enough, hadn't looked at the last 2, saw a forum about it and someone said that Dann was guaranteed and that Delaney might take the other spot at CB

They've been playing him at RB I think.

Mariappa Dann Delaney Ward
Reply 677
Original post by Louis.
I presume you have Sigurdsson already?

I'd drop Vertonghen for Ben Davies which gives you the £8m for Eriksen.

That's not a bad shout. Yeah I have Sigurdsson already. Davies should start. Thanks!

Half tempted to bring in Sanchez for Ramsey but Ramsey knows the league. Oh and one more thing, should I switch out Luis/Debuchy and bring in a United defender? Also half tempted to bring in Cahill for Luis, I know Luis will start but still. I have Rooney but if Vermaelen joins, I'm half tempted to bring him in.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by sr90
They've been playing him at RB I think.

Mariappa Dann Delaney Ward

I take it you mean left back, Ward is a right back.

This is an extract about what they were saying about left backs at crystal palace :lol:

"At Left back, there is literally nobody. If you’re left footed and have kicked a football before, seriously head down to Selhurst Park and put your hand up for selection. The bloke that’s started there most of the pre-season is a Crystal Palace academy player who’s 18 and not even in the FPL system yet. That gives you a pretty strong indication…"
Then again they might play Mariappa there but I'm imagining they'll bring someone in.
Reply 679
Original post by iRush
That's not a bad shout. Yeah I have Sigurdsson already. Davies should start. Thanks!

Half tempted to bring in Sanchez for Ramsey but Ramsey knows the league. Oh and one more thing, should I switch out Luis/Debuchy and bring in a United defender? I have Rooney but if Vermaelen joins, I'm half tempted to bring him in.

looks like LVG is going to play 3-5-2 so united defender it's going to be tough to decide who to pick

Quick Reply

Latest