The Student Room Group

Edexcel gce history: Russia in revolution

I hopefully will be doing this course in September iv got some revision guides on it and to be honest im confused, the revision guides give no real introduction just go right into the topics. can anyone please give me a summery/intro of what im going to be learning and please give me some background ion it so I have at least some basic knowledge before heading into it

Tanx!
Reply 1
You mean the Bolshevik revolution?
Reply 2
Original post by Jubz1
You mean the Bolshevik revolution?

I dont know, the whole topic is called Russia in Revolution 1881-1924 from Autocracy to Dictatorship so not just one particular revolution
Hello :smile:

I did this course this year and it goes from 1881-1924. You'll get some brief information on Tsar Alexander III, however the focus is on Nicholas II, his policies and the economy, the Russo-Japanese war, revolutions (both the 1905 and 1917 revolutions) and his abdication. After that you learn about Lenin, his policies and the economy, Trotsky and the Red Army, the Cheka, the civil war.

Out of interest are you also doing Stalin's Russia, or a different unit in combination with this?

I may have missed a few points but that's the basic outline. Feel free to ask any questions.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Claros
Hello :smile:

I did this course this year and it goes from 1881-1924. You'll get some brief information on Tsar Alexander III, however the focus is on Nicholas II, his policies and the economy, the Russo-Japanese war, revolutions (both the 1905 and 1917 revolutions) and his abdication. After that you learn about Lenin, his policies and the economy, Trotsky and the Red Army, the Cheka, the civil war.

Out of interest are you also doing Stalin's Russia, or a different unit in combination with this?

I may have missed a few points but that's the basic outline. Feel free to ask any questions.

Is the information on Tsar Alexander III very brief? Because in my revision guide they talk a lot about his reforms. Also in your opinion is the work really hard, or is it just a case of learning the policies, what the polices led to and the revolutions? And yep I'm doing Stalins Russia too but before even looking at that I need to get my confused head around Russia in revolution lol. I was honestly looking forward to History A level but its more like politics.

Tanx for the information, I hope you get the best outcome in History and all your other chosen subjects next week!
Reply 5
Original post by tilly789
I dont know, the whole topic is called Russia in Revolution 1881-1924 from Autocracy to Dictatorship so not just one particular revolution

That's quite a lot to write about, I would recommend googling it as you'll find more information in there than what's generally available in revision books/classes
Reply 6
Original post by Jubz1
That's quite a lot to write about, I would recommend googling it as you'll find more information in there than what's generally available in revision books/classes

Ok tanx anyway
Is the information on Tsar Alexander III very brief? Because in my revision guide they talk a lot about his reforms. Also in your opinion is the work really hard, or is it just a case of learning the policies, what the polices led to and the revolutions? And yep I'm doing Stalins Russia too but before even looking at that I need to get my confused head around Russia in revolution lol. I was honestly looking forward to History A level but its more like politics.

Tanx for the information, I hope you get the best outcome in History and all your other chosen subjects next week!

I would learn this information however compared to the rest of the course the information is quite brief. You'll learn about his repressive reforms but I honestly can't remember much else about him. It's unlikely you'll get questions talking much about him, even if you do there'll be another question that you can answer. The work is a step up from GCSE, there is a lot of information to learn however it was harder for me to grasp exam technique rather than learning the information. I would get on top of it as soon as possible and rewrite notes in different formats so that you remember them.

You will have to learn policies and the economy, however you learn how the policies affected their reputation and how some of them led to revolutions, and that's where it gets more interesting. The economy I found boring however make sure to learn it as I actually had an exam question about economic policies.

Thank you, I didn't like the Russia exam if I'm honest but I'm hoping for a good outcome! :h:
Reply 8
Original post by Claros
I would learn this information however compared to the rest of the course the information is quite brief. You'll learn about his repressive reforms but I honestly can't remember much else about him. It's unlikely you'll get questions talking much about him, even if you do there'll be another question that you can answer. The work is a step up from GCSE, there is a lot of information to learn however it was harder for me to grasp exam technique rather than learning the information. I would get on top of it as soon as possible and rewrite notes in different formats so that you remember them.

You will have to learn policies and the economy, however you learn how the policies affected their reputation and how some of them led to revolutions, and that's where it gets more interesting. The economy I found boring however make sure to learn it as I actually had an exam question about economic policies.

Thank you, I didn't like the Russia exam if I'm honest but I'm hoping for a good outcome! :h:

Tanx a lot! Also what did you study for Unit 2? If I am to do this course I'll be studying Elizabeth I and her reforms
Tanx a lot! Also what did you study for Unit 2? If I am to do this course I'll be studying Elizabeth I and her reforms

I studied Britain in the later 20th Century: Responding to change. I did mass media, popular culture and social change in Britain from 1945. It was pretty good, my exam question was on the Beatles which I was hoping for so that was great. I assume that Elizabeth's reforms would also be a source based paper?

I also forgot to mention, in Russia in revolution you also learn about the impact of WW1 and the Provisional Government, which is the government that was in charge between when Nicholas abdicated and the Bolsheviks came into power.
Reply 10
Original post by Claros
I studied Britain in the later 20th Century: Responding to change. I did mass media, popular culture and social change in Britain from 1945. It was pretty good, my exam question was on the Beatles which I was hoping for so that was great. I assume that Elizabeth's reforms would also be a source based paper?

I also forgot to mention, in Russia in revolution you also learn about the impact of WW1 and the Provisional Government, which is the government that was in charge between when Nicholas abdicated and the Bolsheviks came into power.

That sound so interesting! yep it would be a source based paper, I think all the unit 2's are. Ok tanx, also did autocracy end in 1905 because of the revolution. Because when Alexander II came into power he was more liberal but then when he was killed Alexander III reverted back to pure autocracy (I think, you of course know better so correct me if im wrong) so was autocracy something that was on and off?
That sound so interesting! yep it would be a source based paper, I think all the unit 2's are. Ok tanx, also did autocracy end in 1905 because of the revolution. Because when Alexander II came into power he was more liberal but then when he was killed Alexander III reverted back to pure autocracy (I think, you of course know better so correct me if im wrong) so was autocracy something that was on and off?

Autocracy ended when Nicholas II abdicated in 1917. 1905 was an attempt to overthrow the regime, however it was unsuccessful. There were some policies introduced after the October Manifesto to try and give more power to others, however Nicholas still had the power to veto any policies that he didn't like (which was pretty much all of them that went against his rule), so power still remained with him.
Reply 12
Original post by Claros
Autocracy ended when Nicholas II abdicated in 1917. 1905 was an attempt to overthrow the regime, however it was unsuccessful. There were some policies introduced after the October Manifesto to try and give more power to others, however Nicholas still had the power to veto any policies that he didn't like (which was pretty much all of them that went against his rule), so power still remained with him.

Oh ok. I best start the work, so much to learn :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest