The Student Room Group

Access students - your final results

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RobertsClan
For Uni places you only need 45 level 3 credits. Our college offered additional units which meant for some people who needed 30+ Distinctions that they could complete extra credits to replace some that they maybe didn't do as well in. I took all the additional modules feted for the purposes of a scholarship so ended the course with 75 distinctions. My certificate will only show 45 but I'll also have a transcript with the certificate to show the additional modules taken and grades.

Just had my conditional offer changed to unconditional. Even though I knew two months ago what my final grades were I still didn't believe I am actually starting Uni in September until I saw it in black and white!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Schadenfreude65
At my college, all credits were Level 3. I took an extra subject, so ended up with 66 credits at distinction, but could only put 60 on my certificate. I needed 50+ distinctions for the scholarship at my firm-choice university.

Oh I see. My offer was actually below 45 credits. It was 35 or somewhere thereabouts, but it required 2 subjects to make up the distinctions and 3 to make up for the merits. Which Unis did you apply for?
Looking at all your results.. eep. I only needed 45 passes at Level 3 and the rest could be whatever. I got 48 mostly pass, quite a few at merit but only one assignment at distinction unfortunately (one of my anatomy and physiology exams). You guys are beast!
Reply 62
Been to collect my portfolio from college this morning. Got results a couple of weeks ago from college and just waiting for diploma to come through the post. Place is confirmed at Uni, can't wait to start now. Needed 30 distinctions to get my first choice and ended up with 54 D's in the end, very happy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
How long did everyone have to wait for university/ucas confirmation after sending in their results?
Original post by callum_law
Which Unis did you apply for?

I applied for:
Royal Holloway (30 Ds, 15Ms - firmly accepted)
Southampton (54 Ds for a foundation year - declined)
Portsmouth (Pass the Access course - insurance choice)
Surrey (Still hadn't got back to me after 6 months, and I had to withdraw just before the deadline in order to qualify for a scholarship at RH).

roachesandratsx
You guys are beast!

Thanks. :biggrin:
Reply 65
Original post by TeamFTW
How long did everyone have to wait for university/ucas confirmation after sending in their results?

Sent my results in late on Monday (just missed the postman), UCAS was updated to show that I'd been confirmed by Wednesday.

Check UCAS (if you're using that), because they don't send an email to let you know that it's updated.
Reply 66
Original post by mgsk
Sent my results in late on Monday (just missed the postman), UCAS was updated to show that I'd been confirmed by Wednesday.

Check UCAS (if you're using that), because they don't send an email to let you know that it's updated.

Yeah, I am. :/ I emailed mine in on Friday, but I haven't heard anything. I assumed as soon as Track went back up on the Tuesday, it would have been updated then.

May sound stupid, but they're going to a Scottish university and I'm wondering if I'm at the back of the pile because Scottish students get priority. :s-smilie:
Original post by TeamFTW

Exactly 1 week. :smile:

I applied for:
Royal Holloway (30 Ds, 15Ms - firmly accepted)
Southampton (54 Ds for a foundation year - declined)
Portsmouth (Pass the Access course - insurance choice)
Surrey (Still hadn't got back to me after 6 months, and I had to withdraw just before the deadline in order to qualify for a scholarship at RH).

Thanks. :biggrin:

Your offer from Southampton was pretty harsh. What units did you do for your Access Course? Perhaps you weren't doing enough maths and physics or something. Would you have firmed it if the condition was lower? I firmed them for the engineering foundation year myself but I'm not sure I would have if they asked me for 54 distinctions.
Original post by Mathematiculate

Your offer from Southampton was pretty harsh. What units did you do for your Access Course? Perhaps you weren't doing enough maths and physics or something. Would you have firmed it if the condition was lower? I firmed them for the engineering foundation year myself but I'm not sure I would have if they asked me for 54 distinctions.

I did 15 physics units and 24 maths units. I was pretty certain I could meet the conditions, though I felt that the offer was grudgingly made: they didn't want me, but couldn't justify turning me down as my application was pretty strong. I didn't want to do a foundation year though. Too old for that!
(edited 9 years ago)
I did 15 physics units and 24 maths units. I was pretty certain I could meet the conditions, though I felt that the offer was grudgingly made: they didn't want me, but couldn't justify turning me down as my application was pretty strong. I didn't want to do a foundation year though. Too old for that!

If it's any consolation, all of my course mates that applied for Chem x2 and zoology were asked to take a foundation year first and have very high offers...
Original post by Bright_blonde
If it's any consolation, all of my course mates that applied for Chem x2 and zoology were asked to take a foundation year first and have very high offers...

Thanks. :smile: Southampton would have been convenient - only a 20 minute drive - but I prefer Royal Holloway anyway.

I wasn't too happy about the foundation year as well but I came to terms with it eventually. Try not to take it personally though. All they really know about you is what they see on a piece of paper.
I wasn't too happy about the foundation year as well but I came to terms with it eventually. Try not to take it personally though. All they really know about you is what they see on a piece of paper.

I'm not bothered - happy with my firm choice. I can't afford to harbour resentment anyway, as I may want to do my PhD there at some point.

What was your offer, if you don't mind me asking?
I'm not bothered - happy with my firm choice. I can't afford to harbour resentment anyway, as I may want to do my PhD there at some point.

What was your offer, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm glad to hear that :smile:

My offer was 42 distinctions.
I'm glad to hear that :smile:

My offer was 42 distinctions.

That's still pretty tough. I hope you enjoy your time there.
That's still pretty tough. I hope you enjoy your time there.

Thanks. As long as we're all where we want to be then there's nothing to worry about. Good luck.
Damn, that's high from Southampton! Some Unis just don't understand the Access course. I was given a few 60 credits at Distinction from Unis ranked 30-40 (when enquiring). And then I got an offer from Exeter for 12 credits at Distinction and the rest at Merit, a Uni which is ranked around 10th. Oxford suggests 24 credits at Distinction. Cambridge 45 credits at Distinction. There is just a huge gap in the offers that makes no sense.

What is it you are wanting to study?

Yeah, the difference in attitude is bizarre. At least they are standardising the number of credits you can do next year, which will hopefully remove some of the confusion. It would help if they awarded UCAS points for Access too, to help the universities understand what the qualification means.

I'm doing an MSci in Astrophysics. How about you?
Damn, that's high from Southampton! Some Unis just don't understand the Access course. I was given a few 60 credits at Distinction from Unis ranked 30-40 (when enquiring). And then I got an offer from Exeter for 12 credits at Distinction and the rest at Merit, a Uni which is ranked around 10th. Oxford suggests 24 credits at Distinction. Cambridge 45 credits at Distinction. There is just a huge gap in the offers that makes no sense.

What is it you are wanting to study?

Everyone seems to be studying science on Access.

Oxford only wanted 24? Are you sure? My offer from Cambridge was all credits at Distinction, in my case that was 60, I'm sure Oxford was the same when I visited... Maybe not.

Exeter is a great uni, I really wanted to apply there but the course I wanted to do didn't suit me at Exeter. Well done on your offer!
Original post by Bright_blonde
Oxford only wanted 24? Are you sure? My offer from Cambridge was all credits at Distinction, in my case that was 60, I'm sure Oxford was the same when I visited... Maybe not.

Exeter is a great uni, I really wanted to apply there but the course I wanted to do didn't suit me at Exeter. Well done on your offer!

Conditional offers are likely to be for 45 level 3 credits, with 24 achieved at Distinction and the rest at Merit. Where a candidate is taking more than 45 credits at level 3 within the Diploma, offers may specify the subjects where the Distinctions need to be achieved. (http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/entrance-requirements/examples-vocational-and-other-qualifications).

And yes, Cambridge is all units at Distinction, or 45 credits at Distinction in my case. What is it you are wanting to study? I got an interview at Magdalene College but no success :frown: So congrats! Haha.

Yeah, the difference in attitude is bizarre. At least they are standardising the number of credits you can do next year, which will hopefully remove some of the confusion. It would help if they awarded UCAS points for Access too, to help the universities understand what the qualification means.

I'm doing an MSci in Astrophysics. How about you?

Quite true. Whilst a lot Unis do not use the UCAS tariff points explicitly as part of their offers (mostly just citing the three grades they'd like from A-Level), hopefully they'll get more of an appreciation for what the course is!

Oh great! I am doing Law, as the name might have given away. Haha.
(edited 9 years ago)

Oh great! I am doing Law, as the name might have given away. Haha.

Oops, hadn't noticed that. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending