The Student Room Group

Why do th US always support Israel?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by funkyphantom
Are you making baseless and bull**** statements now?

Find me a county that receives more aid than Israel
Original post by Guy Secretan
I just wondered

Short answer: A sizeable, and economically/politically influential Jewish population/lobby domestically in the US, heavily supported by Right Wing Christian elements who ideologically support militant US foreign policy and also see Israel as part of God's plan.
Geo politics and economics.
Kind of dissapointed that Obama is following the pro Israel line considering it's his last term I thought he would have been different.
I think we can all agree that the Republicans are generally more pro-Israel than the Democrats.

Given that the vast majority of Jews in America vote Democrat and have done for decades (https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/US-Israel/jewvote.html), I think we can safely conclude that America's support for Israel is not that much to do with Jews. The answer must lie elsewhere.
Kind of dissapointed that Obama is following the pro Israel line considering it's his last term I thought he would have been different.

Whisper it - maybe he actually believes what he is saying...
Reply 46

Obama has never been the left-wing anti-Israeli dove that some people seem to believe. In fact, I'm a bit perplexed as to why some people still think this. US foreign policy under Obama isn't much different than it was under Bush. The only difference is Obama's smart use of words and rhetoric that makes the US seem softer and more equitable (a smart power strategy). Other than this, US foreign policy has not changed much. His most radical policy changes have been confined to domestic issues.
Original post by jco19
Obama has never been the left-wing anti-Israeli dove that some people seem to believe. In fact, I'm a bit perplexed as to why some people still think this. US foreign policy under Obama isn't much different than it was under Bush. The only difference is Obama's smart use of words and rhetoric that makes the US seem softer and more equitable (a smart power strategy). Other than this, US foreign policy has not changed much. His most radical policy changes have been confined to domestic issues.

No but also he is just constraned by the limitations of his office he knows that as president of the US he has to be pro Israel kind of like Davd Cameron can't criticize Israel too much. I suspect deep down that Obama probably doesn''t agree with what they are doing.
To maintain control over the Middle East.

Though it should be noted that their support is not unconditional; the US does occasionally have to pull up the Israelis, as in the 1970s in the Yom Kippur War and oil embargo.
AIPAC.
Reply 50
Original post by broscience123
AIPAC.

Finally someone nailed it.

As an American most people think not supporting Israel is literally political suicide. Recently the senate voted 100-0 to reaffirm full support for the Israeli government.

So yes AIPAC to me right behind ISIS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It seems to me that saying that America only supports Israel because of AIPAC is a symptom of cognitive dissonance.

The AIPAC theory would say that all things being equal no American would support Israel and the US Senators and Congressmen and Presidents would not support Israel. The theory goes that they only support Israel because of AIPAC which gives them lots of money. This fits nicely if your world view is based on or incorporates the notion that Israel is self-evidently evil and should not be supported. But it doesn't really fit with reality. It suggests that ALL (or the vast majority of) elected officials have no principles. It also suggests that there is some sort of grand conspiracy which seems unlikely. It also makes one wonder why the incredibly rich Arab nations don't outspend what must be a relatively small number of AIPAC sponsors?

The more likely explanation is that Americans see their national interests being in line with those of Israel. AIPAC is of course a powerful lobby and they are no doubt successful in making their case to US senators etc. But there would have to be a strong starting point existing for them to do that and a large base of support for them to have the money to do that.
Follow the money.....
Why wouldn't you support Israel, have you seen the countries around it?
Original post by Eboracum
Why wouldn't you support Israel, have you seen the countries around it?

I suppose you'd support Hitler too, no matter what he did
Original post by silent ninja
I suppose you'd support Hitler too, no matter what he did

What an utterly ridiculous and appalling statement. Sums up the evil anti-Semetic nazi nonsense going on all around Europe. Hitler committed mass genocide, killing 6 million European Jews, because they were Jewish. Israel defends itself against rockets being fired over its border.
Reply 56
Original post by zippity.doodah
1) israel is white
2) america pretty much created israel
3) there are a lot of influential rich jews in america
so yeah

1. Israelis are Semitic people. If you mean white in the sense that their skin is white, then yeah. But if you mean they are European people, then no.

2. Britain did.

3. Correct
Original post by Eboracum
What an utterly ridiculous and appalling statement. Sums up the evil anti-Semetic nazi nonsense going on all around Europe. Hitler committed mass genocide, killing 6 million European Jews, because they were Jewish. Israel defends itself against rockets being fired over its border.

I suggest you look back at your ridiculous post

Israel have effectively ethnically cleansed in old Palestine. They've driven out people by force, often by killing them. Palestinians living in Israel do not share the same rights as Jews-- because they're not Jews! . They have less rights than a dog. Yet people like you seem to support this apartheid state.

Your memory like the many brainwashed Israeli supporters is very short. Rockets weren't being fired back in 1947 or indeed the 90's. In any case, the facts are undeniable. The figures killed by Israel is astronomical, Israeli deaths are very few. This paints a picture of a very powerful state armed by a super power raining down on people that basically live in shanty towns. There's no Palestinian army, navy or military of any kind. I suppose you have the typical view that Palestinians have no right to defend themselves, whilst Israelis do...and not whilst over 80% of their land has already been forcefully seized by these international terrorists, and now they are expected to roll over and die and hand over the remaining 20%. Sure. Israel calorie counts Palestinian food for God's sakes! They're under siege

I swear people like you would support Hitler otherwise ethnic cleansing and genocide on this level would abhor you. It clearly doesn't.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by zippity.doodah
1) israel is white
2) america pretty much created israel
3) there are a lot of influential rich jews in america
so yeah

Haha you don't get called an anti-semite because of some Zionist conspiracy, you get called an anti-semite because you clearly have a chip on your shoulder about the Jews.
Israel is a US satellite state, their existence depends on the USA. Israel play ball because they have to, middle eastern countries don't. Just look at Sadam, he didn't play ball so the US did a regime change.

The USA has more power over the conflict than we think, it's pretty easy for them to stop the conflict, if they threat Israeli trade and aid then Israel would collapse. I'm not interested in speculating so I can't explain why the USA is doing nothing about it and I wouldn't blame Obama, he has no power it seems.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending