The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Chambo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Walnutt.
What Walcott brings to the team is very underrated IMO

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Numan786
What Walcott brings to the team is very underrated IMO

Posted from TSR Mobile

pace?
Original post by barneystin
pace?

Goals
Looks like Vermaelen is gone, hope it all works out for him because he's a good CB. He deserves to be playing regularly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If Vermaelen can stay away from injuries then he should do a job for Barca, he's probably their best front foot defender now. If they switch to 3atb he shouldn't get exposed that much. Although, he seriously needs to sort out his positional sense and concentration. How many players have we sold them, it's getting ridiculous. Although, we've mugged them off a bit too, Song for £15m he hasn't even had a Iook in, that's what happens when you **** with Arsene :laugh:

Cesc didn't have the tactical discipline to play for Barca and he was £30m...

You would think Per will take over the captaincy, fully deserved imo. I think Kos should be vice, he's a quiet man on the pitch but he leads by example, which is the most important thing, he always comes up with decisive goals for example at St James Park and more recently the cup final. I'm sure there are plenty more examples.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Are we able to sign Reus even if he wants to leave BVB?
Original post by Viriditas
Are we able to sign Reus even if he wants to leave BVB?

seems to be rumours about every team wanting to buy him..heard liverpool, united, bayern etc.

If he was avaliable, the only reason I can see for him not having a good chance at coming to arsenal, is if wenger decides he does not want him..

Out of those teams:

United: no CL + not guarenteed a starting spot with 2 other very good strikers..
Liverpool: Still shown to struggle to attract top players occasionally, and a bit risky for new players as they have not yet shown they can maintain CL football..
Bayern: May be Reus' choice, but surely this will be dortmunds last possible choice..

Wheras at arsenal he would get CL each year, have little competition for a place, and have a good german core to the team already in place..

Seems a no brainer..

Which is exactly why it wont happen.
Original post by fallen_acorns
seems to be rumours about every team wanting to buy him..heard liverpool, united, bayern etc.

If he was avaliable, the only reason I can see for him not having a good chance at coming to arsenal, is if wenger decides he does not want him..

Out of those teams:

United: no CL + not guarenteed a starting spot with 2 other very good strikers..
Liverpool: Still shown to struggle to attract top players occasionally, and a bit risky for new players as they have not yet shown they can maintain CL football..
Bayern: May be Reus' choice, but surely this will be dortmunds last possible choice..

Wheras at arsenal he would get CL each year, have little competition for a place, and have a good german core to the team already in place..

Seems a no brainer..

Don't forget that Bayern, Barcelona, Real, Chelsea and City would also be all over it.

Is starting, our Deutsche team, Champions League football, and London enough to outweigh what the aforementioned teams can offer?
Don't forget that Bayern, Barcelona, Real, Chelsea and City would also be all over it.

Is starting, our Deutsche team, Champions League football, and London enough to outweigh what the aforementioned teams can offer?

Chelsea and city could offer money, and the potential to win things..

Barca + Real the history and prestige on top of the above..

Those 4 would easily outway arsenal, as of yet I havent seen any of them linked.. but maybe I have just missed it :tongue: - if they are in the race though, we dont stand a chance.
Original post by fallen_acorns

Out of those teams:

Seems a no brainer..

Would be very surprised if he moved this window, his buyout clause (which if Bayern are to be believed is as low as £20m) doesn't activate until next summer - any club looking to buy him this window would likely end up paying £40m+ for him. Plus next summer he'd have almost every top club in Europe battling for his signature so it makes little sense for him to move now.

That's assuming he even wants to leave in the first place, Dortmund want to increase his wages on his current contract in return for removing the buyout clause, he declined their initial offer (probably what sparked all the rumours) but they're supposedly fairly confident he'll agree. Of course, that could happen and he could still end up leaving, but at least Dortmund would actually get a fee nearer his true value.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Nickini
Would be very surprised if he moved this window, his buyout clause (which if Bayern are to be believed is as low as £20m) doesn't activate until next summer - any club looking to buy him this window would likely end up paying £40m+ for him. Plus next summer he'd have almost every top club in Europe battling for his signature so it makes little sense for him to move now.

That's assuming he even wants to leave in the first place, Dortmund want to increase his wages on his current contract in return for removing the buyout clause, he declined their initial offer (probably what sparked all the rumours) but they're supposedly fairly confident he'll agree. Of course, that could happen and he could still end up leaving, but at least Dortmund would actually get a fee nearer his true value.

I would be very surpised also.. and I cant see arsenal stumping to pay 40+ Million for him..

Its a non-story, which is nice to daydream about, but wont come to anything..

I am not expecting him to come to arsenal, but I would be pissed if by slim chance, he went to united/liverpool this season.
£40m for him is a fair price.
£40m for him is a fair price.

I'd happily pay £60m
Original post by TheInvincibles14

Cesc didn't have the tactical discipline to play for Barca and he was £30m...
Posted from TSR Mobile

At times he was their best player. First half of every season he was either second to Messi or their best player.

He was easily worth more than 30M for Barca... He's only getting sold for cheap because he wanted out/manager didn't want him and Barca have to essentially make a team this window before the ban hits them.
I wont pretend to know much, because I don't have the inclination to watch continental football, but whenever I would see scores from Barca matches, Cesc would regularly be on the score sheet IIRC. He surely wasnt that bad :dontknow:
Barca/Real Madrid have a ridiculous model that has the need to show they are the biggest club in La Liga/the world. Typically this is done with a marquee signing.

When Neymar was bought, it pretty much spelt the end of Fabregas truth be told. Messi is always going to play central for the next few years when he's fit since he's the best in the world in that position. If you had hardworking wingers on the flanks then Fabregas could play behind Messi and you attack through the middle.

However as soon as Neymar came in, Barca were going to revert to a 4-3-3. Even moreso this summer with the purchase of Suarez - there will be a attacking front three which then requires a solid and creative midfield trio.

Fabregas doesn't fall into that properly tbh. He's best quality is the vertical - pushing from deep and going into attacking positions. Barca need horizontal quality to cover the middle of the park while that ridiculous trio in front do their magic. Busquets, Iniesta, Mascherano, Rakitic etc all fall within that and suit the system better.

Barca don't even need a plan B in Fabregas since each of Messi, Neymar and Suarez can and will play through the middle or two could play with one playing off the other etc.
Original post by barneystin
I wont pretend to know much, because I don't have the inclination to watch continental football, but whenever I would see scores from Barca matches, Cesc would regularly be on the score sheet IIRC. He surely wasnt that bad :dontknow:

Cesc was playing as the false 9 for quite a lot of their matches(when Messi was out).

Problem is that Iniesta, Messi and Fabregas can't play together. So it's essentially whether Fabregas can take a spot off Messi(that's not going to happen) or whether he can take a spot off Iniesta(not going to happen). That is where the whole problem of not being suited to the system comes from(i.e. it's a load of ****) he just is an unfortunate victim of two world class players playing ahead of him so he has to be a utility man for rotational purposes.

There was a point where Guardiola fitted him by playing 3atb e.g. with Abidal, Puyol/Masch and Pique. and Fabregas and Messi played as an attacking mid and false 9 and interchanged I remember. Didn't get them results I think so he changed back to 4-3-3 and played Fab on the wing a few times.

It's not a case of not fitting the system or not having tactical discipline, it's a case of not being good enough to take two world class players spots.
Wow the CL qualifier games look much easier for Arsenal this year. Potentially one from the following:

Spain Athletic Bilbao CC: 54.542
France Lille CC: 45.300
Denmark Copenhagen CC: 45.260
Belgium Standard Liège CC: 38.260
Turkey Beşiktaş CC: 32.840
Original post by Zerforax
Wow the CL qualifier games look much easier for Arsenal this year. Potentially one from the following:

Spain Athletic Bilbao CC: 54.542
France Lille CC: 45.300
Denmark Copenhagen CC: 45.260
Belgium Standard Liège CC: 38.260
Turkey Beşiktaş CC: 32.840

Was gutted Feyenoord were knocked out by Besiktas tbh, my brother and I have a long standing ambition to see Arsenal smash them at De Kuip :beer:

The CL qualifier must be a nice little revenue spinner as well when AFC sell 60,000 tickets and then the TV rights etc! Arguably better than going directly into the CL from that perspective

Latest