The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Muslim students going to University of Manchester

Hey, Muslim freshers (particularly those choosing to live in halls), are you worried about the drinking and clubbing that is essentially part and parcel of freshers week? I know I am...what's your plan?
And for those who are 2nd/3rd year, what did you do?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aliyah08
Hey, Muslim freshers (particularly those choosing to live in halls), are you worried about the drinking and clubbing that is essentially part and parcel of freshers week? I know I am...what's your plan?

Hey :smile:
I'm gonna be going manchester this september aswell.
Tbh I'm just not going to drink but i'm still going to be social and have fun.

What halls are you at?
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
God willing I'll be going manchester aswell next month!
Reply 3
Join the ISOC on your first day.

They normally have halal events going on throughout the week, normally FIFA sessions, meet n greet, picnics, talks, meals, tours etc

I'd strongly recommend this as your best course of action for the sake of your imaan.

The uni organised nights out are normally pretty vile lol. And if you dont believe me, just listen to what your flatmates say about it he next day!

Original post by zeb123
God willing I'll be going manchester aswell next month!

Original post by HaQ_mAn_

What halls are you at?
As sad as it is.... these vows more than often are breached :frown: if not freshers week, then give it a couple of monthd and everyone is out clubbing and drinking with the rest :tongue:
Kudos to those who manage to keep their promises though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by killa78
Join the ISOC on your first day.

They normally have halal events going on throughout the week, normally FIFA sessions, meet n greet, picnics, talks, meals, tours etc

I'd strongly recommend this as your best course of action for the sake of your imaan.

The uni organised nights out are normally pretty vile lol. And if you dont believe me, just listen to what your flatmates say about it he next day!

Lol my friend told me the ISoc tries to get guys married. Is this true?

I've heard that the iSoc at Manchester often has a stricter interpretation of Islam than many of the Muslims on campus (to the point that some don't get involved) but the idea that they try to get people married is a new one on me - though admittedly I've not had much by way of direct contact, so it could have passed me by!
Original post by Origami Bullets
I've heard that the iSoc at Manchester often has a stricter interpretation of Islam than many of the Muslims on campus (to the point that some don't get involved) but the idea that they try to get people married is a new one on me - though admittedly I've not had much by way of direct contact, so it could have passed me by!

Hey I'm not against the idea! Halalify everything up
Reply 8

Allahu'alam

I doubt its something on the regular but perhaps a couple has formed through the ISOC. Its not like a dating service but rather use their contacts to perhaps find a partner.

Then the parents would be involved etc etc. The proper Islamic etiquette to be followed.

Although I'm unsure its something they aim to offer lol
Reply 9

What halls are you at?

Looks like I'll be commuting now. My dad has changed his mind and said I can move after a few months. I don't see how that is supposed to work -_-

what will u be studying?
Reply 10
Original post by killa78
Allahu'alam

I doubt its something on the regular but perhaps a couple has formed through the ISOC. Its not like a dating service but rather use their contacts to perhaps find a partner.

Then the parents would be involved etc etc. The proper Islamic etiquette to be followed.

Although I'm unsure its something they aim to offer lol

Looks like iSoc is one society that I will not be joining.
I'll be going to Manchester if all goes well on Thursday! Have no idea what I'll be doing during freshers week though :frown:
Looks like I'll be commuting now. My dad has changed his mind and said I can move after a few months. I don't see how that is supposed to work -_-

what will u be studying?

Dyu live close then?

Medicine Insha Allah
Reply 13
Dyu live close then?

Medicine Insha Allah

Liverpool, so not too far.
And Mashallah.
Inshallah you pass your exams brother.
Reply 14
Original post by ammara_12
I'll be going to Manchester if all goes well on Thursday! Have no idea what I'll be doing during freshers week though :frown:

salam alaykum, i dont think any of us do haha will u be living in halls?
salam alaykum, i dont think any of us do haha will u be living in halls?

walaikum assalaam, no I live in Manchester, didn't see a point in applying for accommodation but now I regret it! I don't want to miss out on uni life :frown:
Reply 16
walaikum assalaam, no I live in Manchester, didn't see a point in applying for accommodation but now I regret it! I don't want to miss out on uni life :frown:

no point in applying if you live there! i doubt youll miss out on the social life because you're not commuting so you dont have to worry about late night journeys home or missing the train etc you can still meet up with friends too. dont worry
if i get in then i will be commuting for over 45 minutes each way, so if anyone misses out itll be me haha
(edited 9 years ago)
no point in applying if you live there! i doubt youll miss out on the social life because you're not commuting so you dont have to worry about late night journeys home or missing the train etc you can still meet up with friends too. dont worry
if i get in then i will be commuting for over 45 minutes each way, so if anyone misses out itll be me haha

Yeah thats true. Ah that sounds like such a headache, I don't think I'd ever be able to do that!! Are you looking forward to studying in Manchester though?
Reply 18
Yeah thats true. Ah that sounds like such a headache, I don't think I'd ever be able to do that!! Are you looking forward to studying in Manchester though?

yes, that's the only thing motivating me to commute, but in all honesty i dont think i got the results. i need AAB. and im almost certain that i got a C or below in one exam, but Allahu Alam.

wbu? excited?
yes, that's the only thing motivating me to commute, but in all honesty i dont think i got the results. i need AAB. and im almost certain that i got a C or below in one exam, but Allahu Alam.

wbu? excited?

What course did you apply for? You will get those grades inshaa Allah, just try not to worry too much about it!

Yes so excited!! I literally can't wait I want September to hurry up lool

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending