The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

****Ask a second year Portsmouth student anything******

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cazza1
Lol I guess I'll see you there then :smile: What course do you do?

Software Engineering :smile:
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Reply 41
Original post by StatusRed
Software Engineering :smile:

Ah cool =] How do you find the course, is it difficult?
Hello,
As I see people are writing good words about uni of Portsmouth on this forum, but according to this university subject rating ( http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?o=Satisfaction&s=Accounting+%26+Finance ) Accounting and Finance course has only 2 stars out of 5. Maybe you have any friends studying Accounting and Finance and what is their opinion about this course?I am mainly interested why is this student satisfaction rating so low?
Original post by cazza1
Ah cool =] How do you find the course, is it difficult?

I really enjoy it and personally for me I don't find it difficult at all. But I did do A level Computing and worked full time as a web developer for 13 months before starting University.
Original post by domukas00
Hello,
As I see people are writing good words about uni of Portsmouth on this forum, but according to this university subject rating ( http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?o=Satisfaction&s=Accounting+%26+Finance ) Accounting and Finance course has only 2 stars out of 5. Maybe you have any friends studying Accounting and Finance and what is their opinion about this course?I am mainly interested why is this student satisfaction rating so low?

I'm not doing this course but from following your link it would appear that the student satisfaction rating is 3.96 out of 5 which, considering the top scoring institution for the course has a score of 4.52, isn't terribly low.
Hello again,
How hard is it to find a part time job in Portsmouth? My parents have low wages so they can't afford paying for my living costs in UK so I would need to get a part time job as soon as possible when I arrive to Portsmouth. I have been comparing different UK cities and Universities and for example Aberdeen has almost the same population as Portsmouth, but on gumtree.com it has 3 times more job offers. Although I like university of Portsmouth more then any other, I would choose to study for example in Aberdeen if it is really hard to get a part time job in Portsmouth.
Hello again,
How hard is it to find a part time job in Portsmouth? My parents have low wages so they can't afford paying for my living costs in UK so I would need to get a part time job as soon as possible when I arrive to Portsmouth. I have been comparing different UK cities and Universities and for example Aberdeen has almost the same population as Portsmouth, but on gumtree.com it has 3 times more job offers. Although I like university of Portsmouth more then any other, I would choose to study for example in Aberdeen if it is really hard to get a part time job in Portsmouth.

I know several people that have jobs here, from what I've heard it wasn't too back breaking to get a part time job. But I'm only going off of what other people have said.

It's worth noting that Aberdeen is a very expensive city to live in btw.
Hello again,

You have any past experience in a bar or a shop or something? There are usually jobs available in Gunwharf and if not there is hundreds of small independent shops on Albert road and in Southsea, just walk around handing out your cv and someone will need a hand.
Reply 48
I really enjoy it and personally for me I don't find it difficult at all. But I did do A level Computing and worked full time as a web developer for 13 months before starting University.

Ah nice, you were a web developer. I did computing as well at A Level and did 3 years at Wales programming but I don't reckon I'm anywhere as good at programming as I should be considering how long I've been doing it.
What languages do you program in and do you spend time outside your course learning other languages as well?
Original post by cazza1
Ah nice, you were a web developer. I did computing as well at A Level and did 3 years at Wales programming but I don't reckon I'm anywhere as good at programming as I should be considering how long I've been doing it.
What languages do you program in and do you spend time outside your course learning other languages as well?

I program mainly in PHP, Java and Python. As well as some bash scripting etc.. I work on my own projects outside of University. :smile:

What about you?
Reply 50
I program mainly in PHP, Java and Python. As well as some bash scripting etc.. I work on my own projects outside of University. :smile:

What about you?

Mainly Python and C++ and a little bit of C but mostly python because i just got to keep the Raspberry Pi that i got given. Im trying to make the program i made for my college coursework better but that is in Visual Basic so i want to make it again in another language just dont have any idea which one yet lol.

What sort of projects do you work on outside of uni, are they quite big or just small ones? Also at Portsmouth what languages did they teach you ? :smile:
Original post by cazza1
Mainly Python and C++ and a little bit of C but mostly python because i just got to keep the Raspberry Pi that i got given. Im trying to make the program i made for my college coursework better but that is in Visual Basic so i want to make it again in another language just dont have any idea which one yet lol.

What sort of projects do you work on outside of uni, are they quite big or just small ones? Also at Portsmouth what languages did they teach you ? :smile:

At Portsmouth in the first year they taught us Python and Java, although in the first year all programming is pretty basic and introductory. For one of the practical programming assessments (there's several small practical tests throughout the year) I turned up still drunk from the night before and with about 2-3 hours of sleep and got 100% :P I won't be trying to do that this year though haha xD

If you're interested in what I work on check out my website: http://EM-Creations.co.uk :smile:
Reply 52
At Portsmouth in the first year they taught us Python and Java, although in the first year all programming is pretty basic and introductory. For one of the practical programming assessments (there's several small practical tests throughout the year) I turned up still drunk from the night before and with about 2-3 hours of sleep and got 100% :P I won't be trying to do that this year though haha xD

If you're interested in what I work on check out my website: http://EM-Creations.co.uk :smile:

That's lucky for me they teach Python, am ok at that. I guess I should start learning Java then lol. Wow that's quite awesome you managed to get 100% on so little sleep and with a hangover.

That's some cool projects you got on your website, how long do you spend doing projects for your website?
Original post by cazza1
That's lucky for me they teach Python, am ok at that. I guess I should start learning Java then lol. Wow that's quite awesome you managed to get 100% on so little sleep and with a hangover.

That's some cool projects you got on your website, how long do you spend doing projects for your website?

At the moment I work on my personal projects for a few hours a day. Not a major amount of time. :P
Just a question in regards to the halls at Portsmouth is it possible to have a twin room (shared) with someone of the opposite sex e.g. a female and a male that know each other and stated that they wanted to share on their accommodation application form..
Original post by 447inthemorning
Hi,
How did you find freshers/induction week? Any advice on how to make the most of it? :smile:

Hiya,
I am very interested in doing the course. What grades did you get at A levels and what seem to be the average grades for other students to receive an offer from Portsmouth for this course.
Hi, I was just wondering if you have any experience with any of the gyms in Portsmouth. I'm looking to join one, but I thought I'd ask others their opinions, as I don't want to regret a membership somewhere bad. (++if they have a pool)
Original post by Phoenix Boom
Second year here.

I'm also available for any particular questions about Halls, night life, general living and any other general questions.

Name is Ross and will be studying my second year of Criminology and Criminal Justice in September. For my first year, I lived in James Watson and was pretty active with some societies.

In addition, I would like to give caution to people about buying tickets for events during Fresher's week. Depending on how much drink you can handle in a week, I would only recommend buying the Fresher's pack as you'll have plenty of opportunity to buy more event tickets when you collect the pack. They'll normally try to sell people discount cards, weekly event tickets in particular night clubs and unnecessary extras.

You find that normally most people go out constantly during the first half of the Fresher's week and slow down after Thursday. I also recommend not buying the Boat party ticket. It's pretty expensive and drinks while on board aren't cheaper. Plus, you'll find that most people won't have tickets for it as they sell out pretty quick so finding people to go with can be a challenge.

Hi, my brother has just started his first year and is living in the James Watson Halls and he is having issues with his wifi.... he can connect his laptop with no issues, but when it came to his ps4 it wouldn't connect through the wifi so he had to get an ethernet cable. He also has "Now tv box" so he can watch more films and tv channels than he can with his freeview... but this requires wifi and the box has no where for an ethernet cable...

Is the wifi limited to the type of service/range that you get? Or is there something he can do so he can connect to the wifi on his "Now Tv box" and his ps4???

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BuzzyBeee
Hi, my brother has just started his first year and is living in the James Watson Halls and he is having issues with his wifi.... he can connect his laptop with no issues, but when it came to his ps4 it wouldn't connect through the wifi so he had to get an ethernet cable. He also has "Now tv box" so he can watch more films and tv channels than he can with his freeview... but this requires wifi and the box has no where for an ethernet cable...

Is the wifi limited to the type of service/range that you get? Or is there something he can do so he can connect to the wifi on his "Now Tv box" and his ps4???

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

He should probably contact the IS people (information services) and they can advise him as to the best course of action or possibly resolve his current wifi issues.
Reply 59
Original post by portsmouthlaw93
Just finished my first year, and lived in halls. Feel free to ask any questions about the Uni, accommodation, the city in general. I know I had lots of questions when I first started that felt too silly to ask, so feel free to post questions big and small here. :smile:

I have a few questions as I'm only 16 in my final GCSE year but looking at universities now to get a guideline of what I should take for my A-levels.

1) Have you ever met anyone who is in or know anything about the journalism and media studies course or the facilities for people taking a media studies course of some form?

2) On average, how much do you have to pay for the halls of residence?

3) In your honest opinion, what are the best bits of studying at Portsmouth Uni and what are the not so best bits??

Sorry for all the questions but I'm seriously considering Portsmouth as a university choice!! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending