The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by bertlin
Well I have heard of people who have worked part-time while still going to school.

I ran a company that placed second in the category "best young enterprise" a national competition for high school students running a company (competed against 6500 other companies). My company won some other categories as well such as best business plan, best sustainable business and best product development ect.

I worked part-time for Young Shareholders Association of Sweden (which is the worlds largest of it's kind) as regional manager, which mean that I was responsible for southern Sweden (2000 members and 7 local clubs). I was the youngest ever to get this job since the association was founded in 1990 an reported directly to the CEO. (This might be considered a job in the field of finance)

I have arranged study-trips for students interested in finance to Copenhagen, London, Amsterdam and Moscow. Where we met with JP Morgan, Citi, Credit Suisse, Nordea and a couple of others. The trips have had a revenue of about 20 000 British Pounds.

I worked 10 hours a week as a privat tutor in maths and english for students in elementary school.

Yeah i'm going to SSE. Are you from Sweden?

That's a very good profile, you just need to sell it properly and your set for spring weeks. No, just saw banks kind of target that school.
Reply 61
How many semi-target uni (Bristol, Durham, Nottingham, KCL) students do you guys reckon get into Middle Market IB?

Obviously 90% of the BB/Elite Boutique FO roles are filled out by top 6 universities and a very few semi target school students who make it to BB seems to fill out sales roles rather than IBD (not saying it's impossible).

So, people in top schools who didn't make it to BB will go for MM or boutiques IB but do you guys think there will be a higher proportion/representation of semi target folks at MM IBD (e.g HSBC)?

If anyone knows, where do most semi target kids end up going if they're set for IB after graduation?
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi guys, I'd like to know your opinion about my situation..

I am an italian student and I will join the II year undergrad from september (finance)

I am deep interested in IB such as CM... But because of I hadn't know about them, I miss the opportunity to join SWs this year

Well, I am asking you, if you were me, what will you do now? I mean, try to apply for next years SW (also if i am joining the II year instead of I)or do you think it's a waste of time because I'll be regret and so I should have to apply for a summer internship, although I had no working experiences of the firms at all?

Thank you, wish you good luck to everyone.
I checked the website for RBS today, and apparently their Spring Week Programmes are accepting applications for 2015. But when I tried to apply, one of the questions that you have to click ''Yes'' to proceed is Are you in your penultimate year of study, or studying a one year masters next year?''

Aren't Spring Weeks for first year uni students? Or am I looking at the wrong vacancy?
Reply 64
Is anyone going to the BrightNetwork festival this year? Tuesday 16th September. Not sure whether or not it's worth flying over from NI for, although I do love an excuse for a trip to London..
Reply 65
Original post by CD315
Is anyone going to the BrightNetwork festival this year? Tuesday 16th September. Not sure whether or not it's worth flying over from NI for, although I do love an excuse for a trip to London..

Went last year, (I'm actually going again, this year, but not for the morning bit), it was pretty good, and it gives you an opportunity to meet people from the firms so that you can mention it in cover letters, etc.

Also, the networking with HR is rushed, but they were surprisingly honest with questions and if you make an impression I think they do remember you if they meet you again at campus events, in this respect it's really good because making a good impression with HR can be super useful in the earlier stages of the application process (these are the people that see your CV first, essentially. For any firms that screen pre-test, these are the people to impress)

Then in the afternoon session, some do the talks are very useful, talk in networking, CVs, commercial awareness, cover letters, that are all really helpful. You get loads of freebies at the careers fair, as well, which is always good. Ahah

Can't really comment on whether it would be worth coming over from NI but if you can combine it with something else you need to do in London it is actually a pretty useful day. Especially if you go to Oxbridge and want to network with firms before putting in an application but don't want to wate until late October/November.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 66
Original post by Aenigma
Went last year, (I'm actually going again, this year, but not for the morning bit), it was pretty good, and it gives you an opportunity to meet people from the firms so that you can mention it in cover letters, etc.

Also, the networking with HR is rushed, but they were surprisingly honest with questions and if you make an impression I think they do remember you if they meet you again at campus events, in this respect it's really good because making a good impression with HR can be super useful in the earlier stages of the application process (these are the people that see your CV first, essentially. For any firms that screen pre-test, these are the people to impress)

Then in the afternoon session, some do the talks are very useful, talk in networking, CVs, commercial awareness, cover letters, that are all really helpful. You get loads of freebies at the careers fair, as well, which is always good. Ahah

Can't really comment on whether it would be worth coming over from NI but if you can combine it with something else you need to do in London it is actually a pretty useful day. Especially if you go to Oxbridge and want to network with firms before putting in an application but don't want to wate until late October/November.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome! I was waiting on someone to reply saying it's not worth my time whatsoever. Networking is networking though, and I'll definitely need it. Looks like some decent names will be there this year as well.

On the website I can't seem to find where to apply for the morning part though; I can only find where to register for the afternoon. Is it even up yet?
Reply 67
Original post by CD315
Awesome! I was waiting on someone to reply saying it's not worth my time whatsoever. Networking is networking though, and I'll definitely need it. Looks like some decent names will be there this year as well.

On the website I can't seem to find where to apply for the morning part though; I can only find where to register for the afternoon. Is it even up yet?

Hmmm. It may already be fully booked if it's not there :/

That said, Gwyn Day speaks at both the morning and afternoon sessions. He's one of the main draws

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 68
Original post by CD315

Try this link. https://recruit.zoho.com/ats/Portal.na?digest=8fWv4WlWVk0rmIEMHZNuKeLO4gbE.IANFigv2zr*ZiQ-&m=vj&id=238999000000515585&wid=238999000000515318&embedsource

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD315
Seems to work fine. Thanks for that

Hey guys,

I'm currently doing two weeks work experience at JP Morgan and only just become aware of spring weeks. Could someone explain the deadlines what is used to apply etc. it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Original post by John Maddon
Hey guys,

I'm currently doing two weeks work experience at JP Morgan and only just become aware of spring weeks. Could someone explain the deadlines what is used to apply etc. it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

SW generally for 1st year uni students or 2nd year if you're on a 4 year course. Applications for most banks usually open around October.
Reply 72
Original post by will2348
Second that ^. Also, apply to places like Rothschild before October as they interview earlier but you can hold the BBs until October. Timing is everything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

why shouldn't you apply until mid October for the big banks? surely the earlier the better if they are done on a rolling basis?
Original post by shuddas
why shouldn't you apply until mid October for the big banks? surely the earlier the better if they are done on a rolling basis?

From experience last year, they recruit rolling basis but HR tend not to actually look at them until much letter because they're too busy sorting out graduates and summer analysts.

October is a good time because it allows you to go to the campus events (make a good impression on your cover letter and name drop) plus get some ECs/leadership to your name which makes your application stronger.

I wouldn't do them altogether because that's too difficult/stressful - spread them out.
Reply 74
Original post by CD315

I should be attending, definitely worth coming over. Just seconded another persons point. :P
Original post by CD315

I'll be attending this, just need to send off my application for the IB part now in the morning session.
Original post by Aenigma
x

Original post by CD315
x

Do any of you know if there is a application deadline for this event?
Reply 77
Original post by Selym95
Do any of you know if there is a application deadline for this event?

Sorry can't remember, think it's just whenever they fill up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 78
Anybody started their applications yet?
Original post by Jack_95
Anybody started their applications yet?

None of the firms I've looked at have their spring week application forms open yet, so I don't even know what to write. Have any opened up? I don't see anything on DB, JP Morgan, or Barclays pertaining to the 2015 spring weeks.

This is a pretty important thing for me to do. At the moment I'm stuck between IB and Actuarial work.

Latest

Trending

Trending