The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
CS and RBS are open I believe, can't decide if it's too early to even apply
Reply 81
Original post by MathsNerd1
I'll be attending this, just need to send off my application for the IB part now in the morning session.

I just need to do the video interview. Do you know what this is like?

Original post by Jack_95
CS and RBS are open I believe, can't decide if it's too early to even apply

CS interview early if last year is anything to go by, so apply early (although, now probably is too early)
When do applications usually open?
Reply 83
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
When do applications usually open?

Between now and the end of September I think. Midway through September, almost all should be open.
Original post by CD315

There's a video interview? Thought the application only stretched as far as including a CV? Hell of a lot for just a morning, guess we've got nothing better to do, though!
Original post by Expert #7451
None of the firms I've looked at have their spring week application forms open yet, so I don't even know what to write. Have any opened up? I don't see anything on DB, JP Morgan, or Barclays pertaining to the 2015 spring weeks.

This is a pretty important thing for me to do. At the moment I'm stuck between IB and Actuarial work.

I was talking to a graduate recruiter from JP Morgan on thursday and she said applications opened in early September but that seems quite forward.
Reply 86
Original post by Selym95
There's a video interview? Thought the application only stretched as far as including a CV? Hell of a lot for just a morning, guess we've got nothing better to do, though!

It's a set of pre-recorded questions and it records you answering through your webcam. I guess it's got so popular that they need to do that. I'm starting to think it's actually worth the effort: getting your CV sent to CS, HSBC, BNP, MS, Nomura and whoever else I've forgotten about isn't exactly something to pass up. Just need to find the time to do the interview now (my house is noisy to say the least).
Reply 87
Make sure you really want to do investment banking hours . . . they're especially long now the industry is picking up.
Reply 88
Original post by will2348
Hey this is not a quote. I'm just mentioning you so you see this message, you give pretty good advices and maybe you can help me. Sorry to drag you in here, but thank you in advance.

Hi everyone.
Where to prepare for tests (I heard some IB ran those) ?

And another question, do I need to know a great deal about finance to apply for SW? Cause I'm reading a lot of case studies on M&A deals, like LBOs, or even IPOs. Is it worth it?

Also, I have never done an internship. This is my big problem. I have some good experience though, but it's not work experience:

Micro-finance project with professionals in 2013 targeting a Sierra Leone community.

Co-funded and managed a business during high school, generating a €10,000 revenue in ten month.

(I also played a major role in the building of a network between students in my home city and owners of businesses / managers to help create part-time jobs for students. Should I mention it?)

Can this help me get an internship during SWs or do I absolutely need to get a prior internship / work-experience in an IB / Hedge Fund (I can, it's on the right track, but I'm not sure I could get it done before October)(I will certainly get experience in Sales and Trading but I want to go in M&A / corporate finance. Is it a problem? Or will no one care as long as the name's there?). Thanks.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by solaars
Hi everyone.
Where to prepare for tests (I heard some IB ran those) ?

And another question, do I need to know a great deal about finance to apply for SW? Cause I'm reading a lot of case studies on M&A deals, like LBOs, or even IPOs. Is it worth it?

Also, I have never done an internship. This is my big problem. I have some good experience though, but it's not work experience:

Micro-finance project with professionals in 2013 targeting a Sierra Leone community.

Co-funded and managed a business during high school, generating a €10,000 revenue in ten month.

(I also played a major role in the building of a network between students in my home city and owners of businesses / managers to help create part-time jobs for students. Should I mention it?)

Can this help me get an internship during SWs or do I absolutely need to get a prior internship / work-experience in an IB / Hedge Fund (I can, it's on the right track, but I'm not sure I could get it done before October)(I will certainly get experience in Sales and Trading but I want to go in M&A / corporate finance. Is it a problem? Or will no one care as long as the name's there?). Thanks.

1. Use www.assessmentday.co.uk and www.graduatemonkey.com to prepare for tests, yes it is worth the money. Most IBs use these tests. Ones to watch are RBS & Citi which use TalentQ and are somewhat harder/different.

2. You don't need to have an extremely in-depth knowledge, but it is a good idea to know the basics - it could be argued commercial awareness is needed much more than any in-depth knowledge. For example, alongside great commercial awareness know valuation techniques, what an IPO is etc., present/future value, basic accounting concepts. < Very unlikely you'll get asked any of that but a couple of banks do. More important to know your motivation, about the bank's people/culture/deals/awards and the general climate in the market. Be ready to talk about a specific deal/current event if necessary. Any weird brainteaser questions, show logic (step by step) rather than looking for an answer.

3. Having no prior internships will not cause an issue when applying to SWs unless you're going for somewhere like Goldman etc. They are more interested in your transferable skills from other activities.

4. Your experience sounds great if you quantify it and sell it in the correct way - it will put you in a stronger position than you think.

5. Yes, you should mention it but only if you can articulate it well. Quantify how many part-time jobs you helped create.

6. Any experience in anything is good at your age so don't worry about brand name/division etc. Just be clear on your motivation when applying. You can twist your S&T experience into how it made you realise you'd prefer M&A, this shows good research.

7. At present you stand a reasonable chance at SWs, should get a few interviews all being well depending on your university.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 90
So what division is everyone aiming for?
Original post by CD315

I haven't sent off my application for the morning part, should probably do that soon though.
Reply 92
Are most people on this thread set on IB? I'm also considering consulting but need experience of the two in order to make a decision.

Also is it common for people to attend 2 spring weeks? e.g. one at in IB and one in consulting
Reply 93
Original post by EdReed
Are most people on this thread set on IB? I'm also considering consulting but need experience of the two in order to make a decision.

Also is it common for people to attend 2 spring weeks? e.g. one at in IB and one in consulting

I've seen a couple of people do 3 Spring Weeks in one cycle.
Hey Guys, i just applied to that bright network: Investment Banking day on the 16th of Sept. Has anyone heard from them/ applied? and if you did - did you get a confirmation email?

Thanks.
Reply 95
Original post by John Maddon
Hey Guys, i just applied to that bright network: Investment Banking day on the 16th of Sept. Has anyone heard from them/ applied? and if you did - did you get a confirmation email?

Thanks.

I applied and got the email inviting me to do a video interview. You get 4 days to do it after they email. I think it's basic competency questions such as why investment banking etc.
Original post by CD315
I applied and got the email inviting me to do a video interview. You get 4 days to do it after they email. I think it's basic competency questions such as why investment banking etc.

ahh okay very nice! Did you get the a confirmation straight after applying? and also how long did you wait before the invitation to do the video interview?
Original post by CD315

I'm just about to do my interview! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 98
Original post by John Maddon
ahh okay very nice! Did you get the a confirmation straight after applying? and also how long did you wait before the invitation to do the video interview?

I can't remember - I don't think so though. I haven't done it yet, although I'll likely do it tonight.
Original post by CD315
I can't remember - I don't think so though. I haven't done it yet, although I'll likely do it tonight.

good luck!!! Hope all goes smoothly.

Latest

Trending

Trending