The Student Room Group

WHat would happen if this occurs

Lets say on results day I open my results and I've the grades for my insurance but not my firm.
What would I see on track, if my firm is still deciding whether to accept me? And if they're still deciding what would my insurance look like(if i've met the offer)?
What would I see if my firm has rejected me and i've been accepted by my insurance.

Let's say I don't meet either offers. how would i be able to tell from track that i've been rejected or they're still thinking it.
If they're still considering then do i phone them or.............?

Also if there's already a thread for this just link us to it Thanks.
Thanks for any future help

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Qari
L

Unis will have made up their minds by Thursday, so even if you open your envelope and its not accordance to the entry requirements, your firm university might accept you on track anyways and it will appear on track as them accepting you.

(I think the uni's got our results by now, so they need to figure out how lenient can they be, whether its worth going to clearing etc)
Reply 2
Original post by Jkizer
Unis will have made up their minds by Thursday, so even if you open your envelope and its not accordance to the entry requirements, your firm university might accept you on track anyways and it will appear on track as them accepting you.

(I think the uni's got our results by now, so they need to figure out how lenient can they be, whether its worth going to clearing etc)

ah right thanks. What I meant was they might not have decided by 8am when track updates so how long do i wait before calling them
Reply 3
Original post by Qari
ah right thanks. What I meant was they might not have decided by 8am when track updates so how long do i wait before calling them

I think they are obliged to have made a decision by the time track is open? (Otherwise there would be chaos for a lot of students!)

If for whatever reason it isnt updated, just call the your university course admission asap
Original post by Jkizer
I think they are obliged to have made a decision by the time track is open? (Otherwise there would be chaos for a lot of students!)

If for whatever reason it isnt updated, just call the your university course admission asap

No, they aren't. They can, and do. take their time. If you look back at last year's clearing threads you will see that Durham took over a week in deciding for some people, only to turn them down at the end, when all the decent clearing places had gone.
Original post by Qari

The vast majority of universities will make decisions before track opens. They don't want more things to deal with as well as clearing/adjustment. However, if your firm has not made a decision, I believe the offer would still show as "conditional"- I don't know what your insurance offer would say.

Basically, if your firm doesn't say unconditional or unsuccessful, then you should contact the university ASAP, as this is a pretty unusual situation.

If you've been rejected, there isn't any point in phoning- they won't change their minds, and you won't even get put through to someone who could change their mind. If you have extenuating circumstances, this is too late to bring them up- they won't be considered.

It's very unlikely this will happen, though. Universities will make their decisions, as they don't want more to deal with on results day.
Reply 6
Original post by carnationlilyrose
No, they aren't. They can, and do. take their time. If you look back at last year's clearing threads you will see that Durham took over a week in deciding for some people, only to turn them down at the end, when all the decent clearing places had gone.

could you answer any of the questions i have posted above?
Reply 7
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
The vast majority of universities will make decisions before track opens. They don't want more things to deal with as well as clearing/adjustment. However, if your firm has not made a decision, I believe the offer would still show as "conditional"- I don't know what your insurance offer would say.

Basically, if your firm doesn't say unconditional or unsuccessful, then you should contact the university ASAP, as this is a pretty unusual situation.

If you've been rejected, there isn't any point in phoning- they won't change their minds, and you won't even get put through to someone who could change their mind. If you have extenuating circumstances, this is too late to bring them up- they won't be considered.

It's very unlikely this will happen, though. Universities will make their decisions, as they don't want more to deal with on results day.

ok thanks :tongue:
Reply 8

Ahhh yeah. I recall people shouting about why durham was in clearing for Law xD

Ouchies. Never knew Durham were that ruthless :P
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Qari
Lets say on results day I open my results and I've the grades for my insurance but not my firm.
What would I see on track, if my firm is still deciding whether to accept me? And if they're still deciding what would my insurance look like(if i've met the offer)?
What would I see if my firm has rejected me and i've been accepted by my insurance.

Let's say I don't meet either offers. how would i be able to tell from track that i've been rejected or they're still thinking it.

Get your results, Check track, follow the flowchart below for what to do:

results day flowchart

Original post by Qari
What would I see on track, if my firm is still deciding whether to accept me?

And if they're still deciding what would my insurance look like(if i've met the offer)?

1.It would be unchanged from conditional.
2. It would be unconditional.
3. As above. No decision would still say unconditional. A rejection would say unsuccessful.
4. If it's still saying conditional on results day, call them. If it says unsuccessful, it's game over and you'd be wasting your breath.

Try this sticky for further info:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2688832
Original post by Jkizer
Ahhh yeah. I recall people shouting about why durham was in clearing for Law xD

Ouchies. Never knew Durham were that ruthless :P

Durham behaved absolutely appallingly to students with offers and those in clearing last year. They had absolutely no compassion WRT to the stress and difficulty they were causing students and dealt with clearing really terribly.

TBH, even if Durham are in clearing this year, I'd advise people not to bother, as it wasn't worth the stress and hassle! In some cases, I'm not sure it was deliberate cruelty, but they had little experience of dealing with clearing and were very incompetent, but leaving existing offer holders hanging on for ages was not on at all.

For anyone reading this thread, if your university have not made a decision on results day, and won't make a decision pretty much ASAP, you might be better off just asking them to release you, rather than holding on and missing out on clearing too.
Original post by PQ

results day flowchart

PRSOM- that flowchart is amazing!
Reply 13
Original post by PQ

results day flowchart

1.It would be unchanged from conditional.
2. It would be unconditional.
3. As above. No decision would still say unconditional. A rejection would say unsuccessful.
4. If it's still saying conditional on results day, call them. If it says unsuccessful, it's game over and you'd be wasting your breath.

Try this sticky for further info:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2688832

thanks for the help
Durham behaved absolutely appallingly to students with offers and those in clearing last year. They had absolutely no compassion WRT to the stress and difficulty they were causing students and dealt with clearing really terribly.

TBH, even if Durham are in clearing this year, I'd advise people not to bother, as it wasn't worth the stress and hassle! In some cases, I'm not sure it was deliberate cruelty, but they had little experience of dealing with clearing and were very incompetent, but leaving existing offer holders hanging on for ages was not on at all.

For anyone reading this thread, if your university have not made a decision on results day, and won't make a decision pretty much ASAP, you might be better off just asking them to release you, rather than holding on and missing out on clearing too.
Absolutely right. It was heartrending dealing with people who were kept hanging on to be dashed at the end. Just dreadful. I hope Durham've learned something from it.
PRSOM- that flowchart is amazing!

Realised the old one was from 2008 so it needed updating.....and I can't resist pretty colours :biggrin:
Original post by PQ
Realised the old one was from 2008 so it needed updating.....and I can't resist pretty colours :biggrin:

It really is terrific. We could do with having it as the home page on results day.
Absolutely right. It was heartrending dealing with people who were kept hanging on to be dashed at the end. Just dreadful. I hope Durham've learned something from it.

TBH, I hope they've learned just to avoid dealing with clearing as they really weren't set up for it.

However, unfortunately, I think the end result for Durham was that they got to cherry pick a few very good students from clearing and it didn't damage their reputation too much. I do think if they keep behaving like that for years, they will eventually get a poor reputation and it will damage them.

This year, if Durham are in clearing, I hope people are advised of what happened last year.
TBH, I hope they've learned just to avoid dealing with clearing as they really weren't set up for it.

However, unfortunately, I think the end result for Durham was that they got to cherry pick a few very good students from clearing and it didn't damage their reputation too much. I do think if they keep behaving like that for years, they will eventually get a poor reputation and it will damage them.

This year, if Durham are in clearing, I hope people are advised of what happened last year.

I think I might mention it.. I was answering PMs from kids, parents, the lot, and all I could say was, 'It's not usually like this...'

Durham have a history of being results day ********s long before last year. Back in 2005 or so they kept someone from TSR with Advanced highers results waiting until a week and a half after A level results day (so basically 3 weeks + in total) before rejecting :nope:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending