The Student Room Group

The Somali Society Mk III

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Al-farhan
How was life for somalis in syria like?

Lol I can not remember I was young. I have not been to syria for a long time subhanallah especially what is going on. I guess I kinda miss being there. :frown:
Conversational fluency and for you to understand almost everything in most arabic dialects (bar north african and sudanese) two-three years of hard work should do it inshallah.

I find it difficult to understand those dialects, I understand better the khaleej dialects for some reason.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by brown shuga
I find it difficult to understand those dialects, I understand better the khaleej dialects for some reason.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They are quite hard esp north african it is like 50 arabic 25% french 25% amaziqi.
I find sudanese a bit easier.
Conversational fluency and for you to understand almost everything in most arabic dialects (bar north african and sudanese) two-three years of hard work should do it inshallah.

InshaAllah :biggrin: is the egyptian dialect that hard as its in north africa too?

Btw do you know of any good arabic online courses?
Original post by Secretnerd123
Ah right. I'm so keen to learn it. The uni i'm going to does classes which i will be joining inshaAllah. I'll also get a personal tutor too.
How many years do you think it would take for me to become fluent??

I've lived in Saudi Arabia for the past 13 years (still do) and still can't speak Arabic fluently -can only speak basic phrases but I do understand quite a lot (embarassing, I know) so it honestly depends. If you practice your oral on a daily basis, watch Arab shows and whatnot it shouldn't take more than 3-4 years. Its a hard language so its not easy to pick up.

Its good that your keen to learn it since its a lovely language. I only realised that now which sucks since I'll only live here for another two years. Hopefully, I'll be able to speak it fluently before i go to uni.

Good luck learning! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by pbunny
I've lived in Saudi Arabia for the past 13 years (still do) and still can't speak Arabic fluently -can only speak basic phrases but I do understand quite a lot (embarassing, I know) so it honestly depends. If you practice your oral on a daily basis, watch Arab shows and whatnot it shouldn't take more than 3-4 years. Its a hard language so its not easy to pick up.

Its good that your keen to learn it since its a lovely language. I only realised that now which sucks since I'll only live here for another two years. Hopefully, I'll be able to speak it fluently before i go to uni.

Good luck learning! :smile:

Ah right. Thanks!

Whats your first language?
InshaAllah :biggrin: is the egyptian dialect that hard as its in north africa too?

Btw do you know of any good arabic online courses?

Egyptian dialect is not hard at all, expect for one or two local words you will pick it up easy.
I don't really know of any online resources but there is rosetta stone it is very good and its 3 level arabic is great start up and complementary to your other studies.Only down side to it would be the price 300 for the package unless you do it this :pirate3: way :
Ah right. Thanks!

Whats your first language?

Somali :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
My girl is half Somali. Yeah
Original post by bittr n swt

Marry her so she can make you obese with bariis and baasto

What's the other half?
Original post by rahim1232
What's the other half?

Eritrea
East African girls are something else.

Nah I'm cool thanks

And you are?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JuliusSeizure

African(cameroon) American
Who here is waiting for A-level results next week?
Meee!

The Irony when the Somali women always get bigger instead looool
Original post by Itachi Uchiha.

looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool
Original post by Itachi Uchiha.

Yup this is indeed the sad truth :colondollar: somali women need to stay fit and not let themselves go after marriage! Maybe then the men would spend less time in the makhaayads and there would be lower divorce rates loool

Spoiler

Original post by rahim1232
Meee!

AS or A2?

Btw you should use the quote button then I can see your reply :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest