The Student Room Group

Is PPE at somewhere other than Oxford worth it?

Essentially I want to study PPE at Oxford, but I'm worried that the same degree form elsewhere may be worth less after graduation. I would love to study it at any uni, but would it be worth applying to do just economics (which I equally enjoy) at these places, yet risking the quality of my personal statement?
My friend didn't get into Oxford so he's going to LSE to do Econ and Philosophy which she is chuffed about
She said her PS was mainly based around economics since she applied to 3 straight econ courses and she got offers from thm. She was interviewed at Oxford but then rejected
Reply 3
Original post by letsbehonest
She said her PS was mainly based around economics since she applied to 3 straight econ courses and she got offers from thm. She was interviewed at Oxford but then rejected

Yeah thats what I'm thinking of doing but maybe the Economic centric PS deters Oxford?
Reply 4
York is recognised as the next best place for PPE.

LSE and UCL have released their own PPE degrees for 2015 entry, I believe those would be on a par with Oxford and York's reputation.

Anywhere else, you're basically better doing straight Economics. I'd recommend making a PPE statement, and applying for 5 PPE places including some of the big names in this post. If you get into them, great. If you end up at one of your safer options, switch to Economics? It depends a lot on whether the university allows you to switch so easily but I wouldn't have thought a switch like that would cause many problems.

I'm making this post purely from a reputation perspective btw.
Original post by rockon8912
Essentially I want to study PPE at Oxford, but I'm worried that the same degree form elsewhere may be worth less after graduation. I would love to study it at any uni, but would it be worth applying to do just economics (which I equally enjoy) at these places, yet risking the quality of my personal statement?

I believe LSE and UCL now offer PPE (IIRC?) and Warwick isn't a bad place to do it either.
Doesn't KCL also offer PPE for those entering in 2015? I swear I saw it on UCAS.
Original post by kurofune
Doesn't KCL also offer PPE for those entering in 2015? I swear I saw it on UCAS.

I think it does! LSE, UCL and Kings all starting new PPE degrees in 2015...how lucky for me!
Original post by sellerofdreams
I think it does! LSE, UCL and Kings all starting new PPE degrees in 2015...how lucky for me!

Are you going to apply for PPE at all those unis?

Coz I am. (Well, except for LSE)
Original post by kurofune
Are you going to apply for PPE at all those unis?

Coz I am. (Well, except for LSE)

Ppe at ucl and gov and econs at lse. Not applying to kings

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sellerofdreams
Ppe at ucl and gov and econs at lse. Not applying to kings

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck! The prospectus says theres only going to be 25 spots O.O
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/downloads/social-and-historical-sciences.pdf

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending