The Student Room Group

How much student loan are you getting?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by simplylldxo
I'm living at home... So my board money goes towards food.

Board money? Or do you mean accomodation money,

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Thahleel
It's not that bad considering I am going to be studying in London. My parents probably won't provide any financial assistance unless I really really need it which probably won't happen since I'm getting enough if I get into that university.

If I got into my insurance I probably would get something like 60-80% lower than this, due to it's location, the fact I'm living at home and the fact that I wouldn't qualify for many of the scholarships or bursaries at my insurance due to not firming it.

Even London doesn't cost 20k though...
Original post by Jammy Duel
Even London doesn't cost 20k though...

Well the most I'll be getting so around £13k, I don't think I'll be beating the odds and winning one of 2 of the £9600 scholarships that my firm offers this year, tho £20k wouldn't be bad 😂. I wouldnt spend it all, id probably take less loan and try and pay off the tuition fee if possible each year through that + some sort of job.

Considering the average halls of residence ensuite room costs around 8k per year at my uni, I'd be left with pretty much the same as a non London student after their accommodation is paid for
Original post by Thahleel
Well the most I'll be getting so around £13k, I don't think I'll be beating the odds and winning one of 2 of the £9600 scholarships that my firm offers this year, tho £20k wouldn't be bad . I wouldnt spend it all, id probably take less loan and try and pay off the tuition fee if possible each year through that + some sort of job.

Considering the average halls of residence ensuite room costs around 8k per year at my uni, I'd be left with pretty much the same as a non London student after their accommodation is paid for

13000 is still way more than enough for London. And if they actually let you touch the loan without penalising you on the grant that shows just how broken the system is. Suppose somebody is eligible for a £5k loan and £3k grant, and they say "nah, I just want £2k of that loan" they should lose the grant too, they should have to give up the grant before the loan.
Reply 404
Original post by Jammy Duel
13000 is still way more than enough for London. And if they actually let you touch the loan without penalising you on the grant that shows just how broken the system is. Suppose somebody is eligible for a £5k loan and £3k grant, and they say "nah, I just want £2k of that loan" they should lose the grant too, they should have to give up the grant before the loan.

I agree with this. I'm getting just over 6k for living at home. This is made up of grants and loans. Initially I thought that this was slightly too much money so I wanted to decrease the loan for next year.

However after I checked my finances I realised that I'd need every penny but i should of been made to give up the grant before the loan. If I hadn't needed it of course.
Original post by HarrietROAR
Board money? Or do you mean accomodation money,

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes board money... I give my mum a certain amount of money per month that covers some of the rent/bills/food etc. My aunty and brother do too!
Maintenance Loan: £3610
Maintenance Grant: £3862
Bursaries: £0
Scholarships: £1000 cash + £2000 rent reduction for first year
Savings: £3,500 and my parents owe me £2,600
Money from Parents: £0

Accommodation Cost: £5733 (£3733 after scholarship)
Weekly spend after accommodation: £107 over 42 weeks if I did the maths right!
Maintenance Loan: 4750
Maintenance Grant: 0
Bursaries: 0
Scholarships: 0
Savings: 0
Money from Parents: 0

Accommodation Cost: 420pcm
Weekly spend after Accommodation: 100 - 150 (depends on how many hours I get at work)
Yes board money... I give my mum a certain amount of money per month that covers some of the rent/bills/food etc. My aunty and brother do too!

Ah okay i get it now :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HarrietROAR
Ah okay i get it now :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm thinking of giving her £100-150 a month :smile: but if there is some food that I want; I'll buy it myself!

Do you have any tips for Christmas shopping... I know it's only August but I like to be prepared :wink: :biggrin:
Maintenance Loan: £2,622
Maintenance Grant: £5,161
Bursaries: £0
Scholarships: £0
Savings: £0
Money from Parents: £0

Accommodation Cost: £4,400
Weekly spend after Accommodation: £70 (plus I'll have money from work)
I'm thinking of giving her £100-150 a month :smile: but if there is some food that I want; I'll buy it myself!

Do you have any tips for Christmas shopping... I know it's only August but I like to be prepared :wink: :biggrin:

The best tip is to buy presents in the January sales ready for December that year!
Original post by rayquaza17
The best tip is to buy presents in the January sales ready for December that year!

A bit too late for that :tongue: but I'll remember that for next year :smile:
Maintenance Loan: £4259.00
Maintenance Grant: £0.00
Bursaries: £0.00
Scholarships: £0.00
Savings: £3500
Money from Parents: £4200.00

Accommodation Cost: £5025.00
Weekly spend after Accommodation: £85.85 (not counting savings or part-time work)
What is the maximum amount of maintenance grant you can get? Because I'm seeing some huge amounts... :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WorldPharmacist
What is the maximum amount of maintenance grant you can get? Because I'm seeing some huge amounts... :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree as the most i would get is 1588! im seeing 3k+ most cases!

ive usually got my xmas presents by now :smile:

last year i made most of mine. i did glass etchings (etching creme) and it was pretty easy. i find that small things add up especially if they have meaning.
for example, my dad likes a drink so i etched a pint glass but he always had strong mints in his car which i hated but i got him several packets. all of that was like 3 quid.
Original post by WorldPharmacist

Posted from TSR Mobile

It varies person to person. It depends on factors such as: income of parents or yourself if you are an independent student, location and whether you are living at home or in accommodation :smile:
It varies person to person. It depends on factors such as: income of parents or yourself if you are an independent student, location and whether you are living at home or in accommodation :smile:

Thanks for the reply but is there actually an approximate amount of the maximum grants that you can get... I thought it was like £3500 but some people are quoting way over that amount!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 419

Are maintenance grant/bursary sort of the same thing? I see people getting grant/loan/bursary? In Scotland, it's either a loan with bursary or just a loan. (Depending on household income)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending