The Student Room Group

SQA Results' Day Discussion Thread - Tuesday 5 August 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MartinLaird
Do you guys think I'll get an unconditional for Geography and History with AAAAB even though my B was history? :/ (hypothetically with the addition of a good personal statement) - this is for Glasgow by the way.

P.S congrats to everyone on the results, it's great seeing so many doing excellent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey,
I'm sure for History you need AAABB at Glasgow University but I'm not sure about Geography. I think you would get an unconditional offer with the grades you've achieved. Well done. I know someone who achieved an unconditional at St Andrews to study History with AAAB so you're in a strong position. Good luck
I would love to know who marked my higher English! Cannot believe I got an A they were practically throwing away the A's this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got AAAAB for my highers, just a grade off Glasgow's requirements for Medicine, but it's ok, not the end of the world, reach scotland will be able to raise my grade.
Original post by The Milk Thief
I'm absolutely gutted with my grades. I only got AABBC; much lower than I was predicted and certainly not enough to get me offers to do Law at Glasgow or Edinburgh as I had hoped to. I went into my school today to find out what my next steps should be and they basically just told me to give up all ambitions of studying Law. I'm now planning on studying AH English and History and H Geography and RMPS next year.

I was advised to look into English courses instead, but again, I certainly don't see me getting conditional offers from the universities I wanted to go to (Glasgow, St Andrews, Edinburgh etc.)

What can I do now?

Hey don't give up! Try and do really well in your subjects this year and then maybe apply after you have your AH and H grades from sixth year. I'm going to do law at Edinburgh and people seem to have a real mix of grades, so I would not give up hope if you can do well this year.

There are always other routes into things, so you could always go and do an HNC or HND after sixth year and try to get in that way, or do a first degree then a conversion course to law.
Original post by AM1497
I got AABBB this year, bit dissapointing. Is Law at Edinburgh out of reach now for me?

Don't panic. From the law freshers page and chat this year, everyone has a real mix of grades. Try to have a busy sixth year with quite a few subjects so that you can try and improve your grades and build on what you have... Try to get work experience and read law related books.

You could always apply to a range of choices and have some more difficult ones (like Edinburgh and Glasgow) as two choices, but perhaps easier universities (RGU, Napier, etc) as your other choices.
Original post by whiper70
Got AAAAB for my highers, just a grade off Glasgow's requirements for Medicine, but it's ok, not the end of the world, reach scotland will be able to raise my grade.

Dont worry, you can more than make up for it in other areas of your application.

Original post by scotland101
You said you were 1 mark off an A right? It's upto you whether you want to take the risk that could pay off. I think Medicine is so competitive now that you pretty much need 5 A's to be considered

You dont need 5As for medicine. LOADS of people get in with AAAAB. I wish people would stop making assumptions about courses they dont even know about, its destroying peoples confidence :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ambry
Hey don't give up! Try and do really well in your subjects this year and then maybe apply after you have your AH and H grades from sixth year. I'm going to do law at Edinburgh and people seem to have a real mix of grades, so I would not give up hope if you can do well this year.

There are always other routes into things, so you could always go and do an HNC or HND after sixth year and try to get in that way, or do a first degree then a conversion course to law.

Thanks for your reply, I'm just absolutely gutted. I'd put a lot of pressure on myself and have just ended up really disappointed. I called the Career's Advisor for my school and I'm going to meet her when I go back to school for a review of my options. I'll just have to wait and see what I can do :rolleyes:
Original post by The Milk Thief
Thanks for your reply, I'm just absolutely gutted. I'd put a lot of pressure on myself and have just ended up really disappointed. I called the Career's Advisor for my school and I'm going to meet her when I go back to school for a review of my options. I'll just have to wait and see what I can do :rolleyes:

I totally get why you are feeling that way. It probably seems bad now, but on a few months you will not feel that bad about it. Just never give up on what you want to do... It might take longer to get there and you might need a different route, but it is all still possible.
Reply 2408
Your centre will probably see you to have less of an incentive to do so but you should find out your percentage if possible and if you are close then there is no harm in getting a remark

Hello, how do you find out what percentage you got?
Original post by tdan22

I think the head of each department gets the mark breakdown or at least that was the case last year
Reply 2410
Original post by tdan22

Phone up your school, I got mine that way
The closing date for non-priority clerical check or marking review requests is 27 August 2014. The outcome of a clerical check will be delivered to a centre within 10 working days of the receipt of a request; the outcome of a marking review will be delivered to centres from 2 September 2014.

The deadline for medicine applications is the 15th October

You'll never know if you don't try.

I want a clerical check for my History paper, I got a B in the exam despite getting an A in both prelims and A's throughout the year. My lowest essay score was 15/20 all year then all of a sudden I get a B in the exam? I can't help but think something is awry, got AAAAB anyway so I've got nothing to lose.
Original post by mobbsy91
As you said, with the addition of a good personal statement, it could be possible. Im not sure how much Glasgow offer unconditional offers though, and so it would also depend on that

Cheers, I'm kind of thinking with my grades and I'll get in plus I've done a hell of a lot of volunteering in my time- God I even worked in Malawi for 2 weeks!
Original post by whiper70

Unlucky pal, Reach brings the entry down to AAABB am I right? I wanted to do Medicine for ages but realised my real talents and passions were in History and Geography! All the best for your application and God bless you when it comes to doing UKCAT, It fried my brain attempting it, that really spelt the end to my medical aspirations! I looked back on getting 100% in my int 2 Geography and really felt I should ply my talents in that sector, I've not looked back since.

Wish you all the best!
Martin :smile:
Original post by Itsmesoitis
Hey,
I'm sure for History you need AAABB at Glasgow University but I'm not sure about Geography. I think you would get an unconditional offer with the grades you've achieved. Well done. I know someone who achieved an unconditional at St Andrews to study History with AAAB so you're in a strong position. Good luck

That's a very reassuring reply, Geo is the same I believe. That's even better because apparently St Andrew's are buggers with giving out offers so that's a good sign if I'm applying to Glasgow who from people I know who've applied- seem to think it's trigger happy with unconditionals at the start of applications coming in.

Magic!
Original post by Ambry
I totally get why you are feeling that way. It probably seems bad now, but on a few months you will not feel that bad about it. Just never give up on what you want to do... It might take longer to get there and you might need a different route, but it is all still possible.

Thanks, I'll try and keep my chin up and hope for the best :colondollar:
Reply 2416
Hi,
In my exams i got BBBCF. The minimum entry requirements for the course want to study is BBBB. Is there any point of me applying? (I'm in s5)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rsw
Hi,
In my exams i got BBBCF. The minimum entry requirements for the course want to study is BBBB. Is there any point of me applying? (I'm in s5)

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you can retake or do another Higher in 6 and you think you could get a B in that, then yes, there may be a point. Also, as you were only 1 grade off the requirements, there is a chance the university would still accept you. It's worth giving the university a call/email and enquiring anyway
is it true to say that those participating in 'reach Scotland' automatically have an extra 10% added onto their UKCAT score? If so, I find that slightly unfair...
Original post by jen123456
is it true to say that those participating in 'reach Scotland' automatically have an extra 10% added onto their UKCAT score? If so, I find that slightly unfair...

This is true for the University of Glasgow, but I don't know if it's true for other universities. It's part of the widening access initiative. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply