The Student Room Group

Hongkong Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AmirBlume
Hi there,

I'm a 2nd year BBA student in the UK and I'll be starting my third year soon.
I'm planning to apply for a JD program in HK Unis since I live in Hong Kong, but am one of those International students so I have a limited Chinese reading and writing ability so I'm unable to properly navigate through Chinese forums.

Anyways my results for the past 2 years have been around 1st and Second upper areas, and my averaged out result right now is currently at 66% since I kind of flopped this year compared to my first year.
Most, if not all, post graduate programs (Be it UK or HK) require a 2;1 minimum as a entry requirement, so would it be possible for me to actually score a JD program in HK?

Thanks!

Most postgraduate programmes, be it in the UK or HK, do not require a 2:1 as an entry requirement. Are you specifically referring to law-related programmes?

In Hong Kong, most postgraduate programmes require only an undergraduate degree with honours, and it seems to be the same with law-related ones. The JD programme offered by The University of Hong Kong for example, asks only for applicants with a first degree from an unrelated discipline, meaning your undergraduate degree can be one without honours even (though I don't think your chances would be high if it is that). And HKU, compared to City University and Chinese University, is undeniably the best law school, and has very, very competitive law programmes at undergraduate levels despite the fact that only around 40% of all LLB graduates manage to progress to PCLL with the chance of ever becoming a lawyer with that route.

As for your realistic chances notwithstanding to the claimed requirements - I have no idea.
Is anyone moving out to Hong Kong to study? More specifically CUHK? My flight is booked for the 23rd August, scary times! Would be nice to meet some new people out there :smile:
Yeah CUHK! think i get there the 19th, what are you looking to studying?
Original post by chrisabailey
Yeah CUHK! think i get there the 19th, what are you looking to studying?

I'm studying International Business Management, how about you?
Original post by lauramercier
I'm studying International Business Management, how about you?

accepted on a few courses just trying to decide which one to take. What college have you applied for?
accepted on a few courses just trying to decide which one to take. What college have you applied for?

I'm there on exchange so didn't apply to one :smile:
I'm there on exchange so didn't apply to one :smile:

if you ever want to meet up in hk feel free to get in touch.
Reply 567
Has anyone (especially wondering about people going to CU) who needs a visa to study in Hong Kong gotten it yet? I'm starting to feel a bit nervous about not getting mine on time since it's not here yet...
Original post by Mahree
Has anyone (especially wondering about people going to CU) who needs a visa to study in Hong Kong gotten it yet? I'm starting to feel a bit nervous about not getting mine on time since it's not here yet...

I don't have mine yet. They sent me an email about a fortnight ago to say they'd sent it off to the immigration department and could take four weeks but they're going to get them to do it quicker so hopefully it'll arrive in time!
Reply 569
I don't have mine yet. They sent me an email about a fortnight ago to say they'd sent it off to the immigration department and could take four weeks but they're going to get them to do it quicker so hopefully it'll arrive in time!

I am somewhat glad it's not only an isolated issue with my visa then! I've heard that people not having their visas when they enter Hong Kong happens, though, and it seems like they manage to work it out regardless. Still, it'd be best to have the visa from the start!
Original post by Mahree
I am somewhat glad it's not only an isolated issue with my visa then! I've heard that people not having their visas when they enter Hong Kong happens, though, and it seems like they manage to work it out regardless. Still, it'd be best to have the visa from the start!

Oh dear that's just be awful, presume you'd have to go in on a tourist visa, then leave Hong Kong and re enter? Hopefully we will receive them on time
Reply 571
Oh dear that's just be awful, presume you'd have to go in on a tourist visa, then leave Hong Kong and re enter? Hopefully we will receive them on time

Something like that I suppose! I'm bringing a copy of my admissions letter though, just in case I need it.
guys i ned some help I dont know whetherto go for hkust for business or ucl economics and grography joint degree??

thanks a lot people!!
Does anyone know the best hostel in CUHK. I would preferably like to go for a single dorm???
Reply 574
Does anyone know the best hostel in CUHK. I would preferably like to go for a single dorm???

"Best hostel" is kind of subjective isn't it? Regardless, you won't get a single room as an undergraduate, so unless you are a master's student (in which case there should be, but I don't know where those are!).

Regarding the best hostel, what do you want from it? Quiet and comfort? Loads of life? I've heard some of the older, larger hostels have quite a lot of noise late at night.
Original post by Mahree

Hong Kong is said to be very easy to enter in general, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Think you don't need a visa if you're with a British passport.
Original post by clh_hilary
Think you don't need a visa if you're with a British passport.

If you're staying as a tourist for under 90 days then you don't, but if you're going to be there as a student for a semester or the whole year, then you have to get a student visa
Original post by Mahree

I got an email yesterday saying my visa had been approved and was going to be posted out to me. Have you heard from them too?
If you're staying as a tourist for under 90 days then you don't, but if you're going to be there as a student for a semester or the whole year, then you have to get a student visa

I know - I was responding to the comment I quoted that mentioned 'visitor visa'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending