The Student Room Group

Which University takes your breathe away for the pretty buildings?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Vitamin D
Glasgow's main building is bloody gorgeous

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1407250867.620316.jpg

Although it does have a fair share of ugly buildings, the Boyd Orr always gets a special mention for being visually unappealing. Luckily most of my classes will be in here!

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1407250970.836475.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

omg it looks like hogwarts :colone:
Reply 81
Original post by ParetoOptimum
I'm pretty sure Birmingham already has this status. Ask anyone who has any idea about higher education, and Birmingham will be in their top 20. It's a very popular choice for undergrads as well - it's a redbrick Russell Group located in the centre of England.

I think some students like those from Durham and UCL look down on B'ham to som extent as though it is amongst the weakest of the RG. I see it differently, B'ham is almost as good as them.
Edinburgh because it's the only university I've been inside and out of. The lecturers are really kind as well. :colondollar:
Reply 83
Original post by Gorwell
Edinburgh because it's the only university I've been inside and out of. The lecturers are really kind as well. :colondollar:

As much as I admire Nottingham (best campus, UK top 10 & WORLD TOP 75-85 for research strength), Edinburgh is as good as Notts in this regard, but has the edge simply because Edinburgh is such an amazing looking city! If I could choose any uni then after Oxbridge, Edinburgh would be first on my list, then Nottingham. Durham would also be a big consideration.
Original post by Mansun
As much as I admire Nottingham (best campus, UK top 10 & WORLD TOP 75-85 for research strength), Edinburgh is as good as Notts in this regard, but has the edge simply because Edinburgh is such an amazing looking city! If I could choose any uni then after Oxbridge, Edinburgh would be first on my list, then Nottingham. Durham would also be a big consideration.

Edinburgh is SO beautiful as a whole! I also love Cambridge and Durham in general but Edinburgh beats it all for me. I've been to Nottingham but haven't visited the university itself.:h:
LSE. Don't really know why, but it just had something special.
Reply 86
Has to be Glasgow uni for me.

Cardiff is full of cool stuff.
LSBU elephant & castle campus.
Reply 89
Original post by ParetoOptimum
I don't think anyone can argue with the sheer scale and mass of Moscow State University's main building

It's bloomin massive

The stuff of dreams. A pity it is in Russia though. it reminds me a bit of the Federal University of London Senate House building next to Birkbeck and SOAS.
Reply 90
Original post by ChickenMadness

Cardiff is full of cool stuff.

I take it this is not a Cardiff University building? If it was it would topple Oxbridge for the nicest building.
Reply 91
Original post by Gorwell
Edinburgh is SO beautiful as a whole! I also love Cambridge and Durham in general but Edinburgh beats it all for me. I've been to Nottingham but haven't visited the university itself.:h:

Well if you did visit the Notts university, this is what you would see:-

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mansun
I take it this is not a Cardiff University building? If it was it would topple Oxbridge for the nicest building.

It's one of them i think. They have a lot of different buildings like that for the different subjects. I went on a tour of them lol.
Reply 93
Original post by ChickenMadness
It's one of them i think. They have a lot of different buildings like that for the different subjects. I went on a tour of them lol.

I thought this was just Cardiff Castle? Not belonging to the university? Cardiff is a nice city indeed. The main building is one of the nicest.
Original post by Mansun
I thought this was just Cardiff Castle? Not belonging to the university? Cardiff is a nice city indeed. The main building is one of the nicest.

rofl I have no idea if this is one of the actual uni buildings. But most of them look like that. They have this square with 4 buildings facing each other that pretty much look like that.
Original post by Mansun
Well if you did visit the Notts university, this is what you would see:-

Depends which campus you are at.

You might see this instead

Cambridge and Bath :tongue:
Another one from Cardiff
Reply 98
Original post by nulli tertius
Depends which campus you are at.

You might see this instead

True, they have campuses in Malaysia and China. Quite where they got the funding to do this is beyond me, but Notts certainly has some impressive campuses.
Original post by locksher
This.

Old Joe and the Great Hall and all those red brick buildings are just gorgeous, though some of the newer buildings are pretty boring

Chancellor's Court and University Square (in front of the library/Arts building/Law building) are gorgeous, and look so nice in summer. Wish the people who'd built Biosciences, Chem West and the Sports Centre (and that whole end of campus in general) had had the same idea :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending