The Student Room Group

Clearing nursing help?

Hi I have an interview for mental health nursing in 2 days do you have any tips (such as not panicking) do you think I should practice what I will be saying such as answers to likely questions that will come up or shall I just go with the flow? I am also worried about what to say in a group interview as I may not know answers to some questions, so shall I just Say something rather than being quiet?
Think about your mental health during the interview? :wink:
Reply 2
Be confident! Read the news these few days, so you know the latest stories - the Guardian mental health section is really good. You don't have to have a set in stone or hardline opinion on anything - an appreciation of both sides of an argument is a good thing. I assume you've done some work experience or got a bit of personal experience in this area - reflect on it, think of some good examples of why you want this career. Also, why at this uni?
Don't be shy in a group interview - you'll feel when it's the right moment to say something.
Good luck!

-- a mental health patient holding two offers for medicine --
Reply 3
Original post by mynameisntdoug
Think about your mental health during the interview? :wink:
Thanks, my mental health would probably consist of anxiety:frown:. BTW do you mean my experience of mental health??
Reply 4
Original post by juliam
Be confident! Read the news these few days, so you know the latest stories - the Guardian mental health section is really good. You don't have to have a set in stone or hardline opinion on anything - an appreciation of both sides of an argument is a good thing. I assume you've done some work experience or got a bit of personal experience in this area - reflect on it, think of some good examples of why you want this career. Also, why at this uni?
Don't be shy in a group interview - you'll feel when it's the right moment to say something.
Good luck!

-- a mental health patient holding two offers for medicine --
Thank you I wish it would be that easy tho. I gues your speaking from your own expereince at an interview and wow congrats on your 2 offers :smile:
Original post by nadzworldz
Thanks, my mental health would probably consist of anxiety:frown:. BTW do you mean my experience of mental health??

I'm not really sure haha, I just thought a pun was called for :cool:

I just think the best way to be in an interview for a course is to be passionate about the subject you're applying for, and be happy that you've been given a chance to get this far. Hope that doesn't seem condescending, it's just how I approached my interviews in the past.

All the best tho!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by nadzworldz
Thank you I wish it would be that easy tho. I gues your speaking from your own expereince at an interview and wow congrats on your 2 offers :smile:

That was what I was asked at interview, anyway. I know medicine and nursing are different careers, but I think they're both vocational and healthcare so the interviews might be similar.
Thanks so much :colondollar: I'm trying not to get too excited as they're conditional!
Reply 7
Original post by mynameisntdoug
I'm not really sure haha, I just thought a pun was called for :cool:

I just think the best way to be in an interview for a course is to be passionate about the subject you're applying for, and be happy that you've been given a chance to get this far. Hope that's doesn't seem condescending, it's just how I approached my interviews in the past.

All the best tho!
LOL I thought it was, but wasn't quite sure:rolleyes:. Thank you.:smile:
Reply 8
Original post by juliam
That was what I was asked at interview, anyway. I know medicine and nursing are different careers, but I think they're both vocational and healthcare so the interviews might be similar.
Thanks so much :colondollar: I'm trying not to get too excited as they're conditional!
Aww you will be fine results days next week too.:smile:
Reply 9
Brush up on the 6Cs, current issues in nursing etc., especially mental health. You might want to consider your answers for questions like "how would you deal with an aggressive patient" or "what would you do if a patient asks you to keep a secret", if you google nursing interview questions, there will be lots of examples. As for your group interview, don't just sit and be quiet but don't talk over people. They're looking for someone who knows their stuff - they might also be looking to see how well you work in a group.

Good luck!
Original post by soph1293
Brush up on the 6Cs, current issues in nursing etc., especially mental health. You might want to consider your answers for questions like "how would you deal with an aggressive patient" or "what would you do if a patient asks you to keep a secret", if you google nursing interview questions, there will be lots of examples. As for your group interview, don't just sit and be quiet but don't talk over people. They're looking for someone who knows their stuff - they might also be looking to see how well you work in a group.

Good luck!
Thank you for your help:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending