The Student Room Group

Studying medicine in Italy

Hi I am an Irish secondary school student, interested in studying medicine in Italy next year (2015). I would appreciate if you could answer the following questions.

In regards to the universities in Italy (which teach medicine through English), which would be the best, in terms of reputation etc.?

Is student accomodation available on most campus's, or do people tend to arrange places to stay outside of each university campus?

Generally speaking what age are people who begin the course? Do you have to be a certain age in order to be accepted on the course (e.g 18 before a specific date) ?

Is an Italian medical degree recognised in Ireland? Would I be able to be registered here with the Irish Medical Council and work in hospitals etc. in Ireland? Also would I be able to apply for internship in Ireland?

Is there any advantages and/or disadvantages to studying medicine in Italy rather than in Ireland?

Finally, what is the best way to prepare for the IMAT exam? Do the majority of people who sit the exam receive a place in an Italian university? Is the IMAT in any way similar to the HPAT here in Ireland? It seems much more straightforward but this may not be the case.

Thanking you in advance
Original post by Molly123456

In regards to the universities in Italy (which teach medicine through English), which would be the best, in terms of reputation etc.?

Is student accomodation available on most campus's, or do people tend to arrange places to stay outside of each university campus?

Generally speaking what age are people who begin the course? Do you have to be a certain age in order to be accepted on the course (e.g 18 before a specific date) ?

Is an Italian medical degree recognised in Ireland? Would I be able to be registered here with the Irish Medical Council and work in hospitals etc. in Ireland? Also would I be able to apply for internship in Ireland?

Is there any advantages and/or disadvantages to studying medicine in Italy rather than in Ireland?

Finally, what is the best way to prepare for the IMAT exam? Do the majority of people who sit the exam receive a place in an Italian university? Is the IMAT in any way similar to the HPAT here in Ireland? It seems much more straightforward but this may not be the case.

Thanking you in advance

Hi, usually big cities' universities are considered the best, in Italy there are no official uni rankings. Here some good unis
La Sapienza, Rome
San Raffaele (Private), Milan
Univerità di Padova
Milano Bicocca
Pavia
Università di Firenze, Florence

Keep in mind that italian students don't use to move away as british do, the majority of them still live ad home while attending uni.
Accommodation in campus usually doesen't exist, people sudying far from home (studenti fuori sede) use private flats.

Italian students end secondary school one year after irish, the average age when the course starts is 19. Anyway you can apply also being younger, the only requirement is diploma.
Reply 2
Don't study medicine in Italy.
Lots of years. (10+)
Terrible organization at unis.

Seriously go somewhere worth it (France?)
Reply 3
If you are looking outside Ireland, Why dont you consider somewhere like Malta? Malta's courses are taught in English and it is part of the UK Foundation programme so you can apply to do your training in the UK. As an EU trained doctor you would have the right to travel and work in any other EU country.
Reply 4
Hey,

See the first post on this page :
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1988517&page=49&p=48993830#post48993830
Other posts in that thread may help - (don't want to post stuff again).
If you missed anything medschools.it is good.

For the IMAT exam you have 6 universities which teach Medicine in English entirely - Milan, Pavia, La Sapienza, Tor Vergata, Bari, Napoli
. There are other universities which teach in English however they may have separate entrance exams/entry requirements. Best to see each individual website for the med schools not affiliated with the IMAT

This year for Milan IMS(international medical school) there were 32 EU places and 16 Non-Eu places.
Bari - places: 21
Milano - places: 32
Napoli Seconda Università - places: 8
Pavia - places: 70
Roma "La Sapienza" - places: 35
Roma "Tor Vergata" - places: 20
Theoretically speaking there are 186 (adding up total spots) places for EU candidates due to this years changing in system. You rank each uni in order of preference than choose 3 (as in previous years). However many people do not enroll (either due to time or other reason) and renounce their place therefore it moves along to someone ranking below them.

Looking at the ranking list for EU candidates.
The lowest ranked person to have "enrolled" is 275th for "Bari". I think there were 4000+ EU candidates who took the exam. You need 20.00 or higher to make onto the ranking list -> 2000 on this list.

I think the IMAT is very similar to BMAT (run by same admissions group - see first post on thread link)
Regarding your question - I looked at http://www.medentry-hpat.ie/MedEntry-HPAT-Practice-Exam-Questions-with-Worked-Solutions.pdf and the style of questions seem slightly similar. But see the past papers for the IMAT i think.

From my understanding Medicine in Italy is a 6 year course.
Of-course this is no reason purely to study in Italy but the fees are cheaper. 4000eur (max)/ year and may be reduced depending on family income at Milan IMS - however consider accommodating isn't cheap too.

There are halls of residence in Milan. However you need to meet both academic and economic criteria. I.e be viable for a scholarship. See http://www.consorziocidis.it/ -> google translate :smile:

Starting first year at Milan IMS. Therefore if any more specific questions please PM.
Also please share this with others in similar position to you.

Ultsyn :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by ultsyn
Hey,

See the first post on this page :
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1988517&page=49&p=48993830#post48993830
Other posts in that thread may help - (don't want to post stuff again).
If you missed anything medschools.it is good.

For the IMAT exam you have 6 universities which teach Medicine in English entirely - Milan, Pavia, La Sapienza, Tor Vergata, Bari, Napoli
. There are other universities which teach in English however they may have separate entrance exams/entry requirements. Best to see each individual website for the med schools not affiliated with the IMAT

This year for Milan IMS(international medical school) there were 32 EU places and 16 Non-Eu places.
Bari - places: 21
Milano - places: 32
Napoli Seconda Università - places: 8
Pavia - places: 70
Roma "La Sapienza" - places: 35
Roma "Tor Vergata" - places: 20
Theoretically speaking there are 186 (adding up total spots) places for EU candidates due to this years changing in system. You rank each uni in order of preference than choose 3 (as in previous years). However many people do not enroll (either due to time or other reason) and renounce their place therefore it moves along to someone ranking below them.

Looking at the ranking list for EU candidates.
The lowest ranked person to have "enrolled" is 275th for "Bari". I think there were 4000+ EU candidates who took the exam. You need 20.00 or higher to make onto the ranking list -> 2000 on this list.

I think the IMAT is very similar to BMAT (run by same admissions group - see first post on thread link)
Regarding your question - I looked at http://www.medentry-hpat.ie/MedEntry-HPAT-Practice-Exam-Questions-with-Worked-Solutions.pdf and the style of questions seem slightly similar. But see the past papers for the IMAT i think.

From my understanding Medicine in Italy is a 6 year course.
Of-course this is no reason purely to study in Italy but the fees are cheaper. 4000eur (max)/ year and may be reduced depending on family income at Milan IMS - however consider accommodating isn't cheap too.

There are halls of residence in Milan. However you need to meet both academic and economic criteria. I.e be viable for a scholarship. See http://www.consorziocidis.it/ -> google translate :smile:

Starting first year at Milan IMS. Therefore if any more specific questions please PM.
Also please share this with others in similar position to you.

Ultsyn :smile:

Thanks so much for your attentive reply! The information you forwarded has been very useful to me and I will be sure to send it on to others. Best of luck in Milan!
Hb
Original post by CAROLAL1
Don't study medicine in Italy.
Lots of years. (10+)
Terrible organization at unis.

Seriously go somewhere worth it (France?)

France?! They don't do medicine in English

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending