The Student Room Group

Advice for going in to year 10?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by DanMargetts
Thanks mate! :biggrin:

No, don't study from September, you'll go crazy! Personally, it's best to just do your homework when given, and if you feel like it, feel free to look over your day's work/ask teachers if you don't understand anything.

Just relax and have fun, but from about February onwards, I would start revising... of course, try and do little bits here and there through out the first term (up until about Christmas) as it'll make the next 2 years a whole lot easier!

But don't go absolutely ballistic and block out all social contact during revision times. Of course, when you're revising, don't go on your phone or laptop (unless you're watching revision videos or something), but feel free to spend days out with friends or go out of an evening with the family or go for walks alone - this is actually a great idea as you can clear your head. You may meet your 'other half' there, you never know!!

I actually can't really remember all of Y10, but I did work quite a bit throughout, nothing compared to Y11 though. Wow, that sentence makes Y11 out to be the hardest year ever, nt NO WAY is this true. It sounds generic, but as long as you stay on top of your work (making/looking your notes), do revision timetables (as structure is the best thing ever:wink:) and understand the content... not just memorise! People say that's for A Level and you can just memories GCSEs to pass, this may be true to some people/subjects, but they're making GCSEs harder, so you might as well learn the reasons why things happen, not just that they happen (I can't even think of an example... maybe understand why the Heart beats, but don't just memorise that beats... okay, that definitely won't be a GCSE question, but who knows?!) :tongue:

Just have fun and enjoy it! The next 2 years are going to be fantastic and you honestly will love every minute of it! Cherish it all!

GOOD LUCK :biggrin:

Thank you!
x
Reply 21
Original post by Patrick Gekko
GCSEs are easy, unlike other people are saying. I won't get 10A*s, this is my own fault though. Just revise two months before (and that's quite a long time), reading revision guides and textbooks and you'll do fine. But as I said earlier, CAs could bring you down (or bring you up- but my poor CAs are why my grades won't be as good as they could've been. This is fully my fault though and I regret it)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aw dont worry! its in a past just look into the future which you can change :wink:
Thanks for the advice :smile:
x
Reply 22
Original post by swallowsky
Make sure you do well in your controlled assessment , because it will be worth it when you get to Yr11 as you already have marks secured.
Apart from that, work hard but don't get too stressed. Maybe get into the habit of looking through work and making notes, but too much will just make your life miserable. Unless the test counts towards what set you are in, or if its mocks, there's no need to make too big a deal of it.

thank you :smile:
x
Reply 23
Original post by Sarah Bethany

Posted from TSR Mobile

sociology
child development
art
ict

Have you taken any of these before? If so what are they like :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by Patrick Gekko
Focus on controlled assessments. That's it, you can Coast the rest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you
x
Well firstly I'll start with art. Try to meet all your deadlines. Seriously, every single one. It will do you a world of good because once you miss them it's crazy to catch up. Imo, art is manageable but only if you stay on top of your work. Be organised. I tended to try and get it out of the way asap with my art homework but if not just pace yourself and do a bit everyday. At the end of year 10, make sure you've completed all your coursework for that year. I know people that have had to come in right in the middle of their GCSE exams in year 11 to catch up on tiny things from the start of year 10. Trust me you don't want to be in that situation. Not trying to put you off, I loved art myself but I'm just giving you a heads up that it's the subject you'll need to be the most organised with. If you are, then it'll go great :smile:

Next, always ask questions if you have them. A lot of the time teachers like questions and also they'll be questions others have too. If you're nervous about asking in the lesson then ask at the end. The little bit of understanding will help you a lot because it's better to learn at the time then 2 years later doing it alone easter revision. But try to figure it out yourself first.

Also, it doesn't matter really if you slacked in ks3. I assume from year 10 you'll be starting all your GCSE content from scratch so don't worry. I'd recommend that you revise for the end of topic tests and do your homework on time because it may seem pointless but you find if you revise properly then, it's much easier to remember what you learnt when you have to revisit it in year 11. Also, for my gcse revision notes I actually used the ones from some end of topic tests so they come handy. And with the revision you kind of learn how to refine your note writing technique etc. Apart from that though I wouldn't do too much extra work, it's unnecessary and you don't want to burn yourself out. And don't worry about your grades, if you do the work you're given and you make sure you understand everything your grades will go up and as my teacher says, you don't want to peak too early :wink:

If you have any hobbies or into extra curricular stuff like sport or music, do it. Don't be like 'I don't have time'. It helps you to focus the time you have left and you enjoy yourself and relax :smile:

I wouldn't really work during the year 10 summer (revision I mean) but if you're really behind and struggling in a subject I'd use that time to catch up.

Sorry this is so long, told you literally everything I could thing of :tongue:
Tl;dr do the work you're given and revise for tests, it'll make your life easier in y11. Always ask questions if you don't understand. Don't leave not understanding the topic. Be organised. But also don't overwork, it's year 10, you can still chill and try to get involved in clubs or hobbies :smile:

All the best for next year :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Its summer, and I haven't really covered a lot of things of year 10, just mainly the basics of Sciences, Economics, Maths and History (First 3-4 Chapters of each), And I'm only spending about 1 hour or sometimes 2 hours a day revising for year 10, should I bring it up to 3 hours? I'm really nervous about year 10 because I slacked off a lot in year 9 even though I scored well on most of my tests (Usually As in everything, a few A*s here and there, B*s in Biology :/) But i'm really really nervous about how i'll do in year 10, i'm a complete worrier :P
Should I start studying more? Is it required? Or is 1-2 hours a day enough? Obviously when school starts i'll go up to 3 hours 30 min, but probably no more since I come home from school at 6.
Reply 28
Don't have sex. And if you do...cap it!
Reply 29
Mate seriously don't listen to ppl who say oh GCSEs don't matter..... Work hard and just get it done

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sailorcat
sociology
child development
art
ict

Have you taken any of these before? If so what are they like :smile:

ICT was compulsory for me. I was on the WJEC exam board and it was mainly coursework based, but with 2 exams as well. Which exam board are you on? We spent forever finishing coursework and then didn't have enough lessons to be taught the theory for the second exam, but, it was a lot of common sense, at least for unit 1 :L
I didn't take any of the others, but all my friends took art and, although it was a lot of work (they were *always* doing art) they enjoyed doing it - just try not to get behind and get things done on time :smile:
Good luck! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by adityac3688
Should I start studying more? Is it required? Or is 1-2 hours a day enough? Obviously when school starts i'll go up to 3 hours 30 min, but probably no more since I come home from school at 6.

I wouldn't necessarily spend so much time studying at GCSE - you'll just tire yourself out: in year 11 I was tired by Christmas and never caught up so just got more and more tired until exams finished - not good. Do homework, that might take a couple of hours, perhaps a little longer depending on subjects and what it is, but you don't need to so too much extra until end of year 10/ start of year 11, unless you feel like you need to of course..
Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd also like some advice.

I chose:
Child Dev.
Spanish
History:Modern World
Short RS
Statistics
Triple Science
Original post by Esther99
I'd also like some advice.

I chose:
Child Dev.
Spanish
History:Modern World
Short RS
Statistics
Triple Science

Do you know whichbexam.boards you're on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you know whichbexam.boards you're on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sciences -AQA
Spanish - AQA
RS- OCR
Child Development - OCR
History - Edexcel
Statistics - Edexcel
Original post by Esther99
Sciences -AQA
Spanish - AQA
RS- OCR
Child Development - OCR
History - Edexcel
Statistics - Edexcel

(only just noticed my awful typing, sorry!)

The only ones of those I did were triple science, short RS and history, although different exam boards for RS and history...
With History, make sure you keep on top of it and revise well, especially if you're not that great with words (like me :P). There's a lot to remember and it can get confusing (at least for me).
For RS you'll probably mainly need to be able to reason your own opinions.
Science will be fine as long as you make sure you understand what you've done in lessons so that.it's makes it much easier when it comes to revision.
I did AQA French, which is similar to Spanish. Do your best in the speaking and listening assessments, never just assume you can resit - strong CAs really help when it comes to the reading and listening exams which can be quite hard.

In general, just make sure you do homework asap and meet deadlines etc. particularly for coursework as that can take up so much time. Revise for mocks as that helps for the real thing and remember to ask questions. Don't overwork yourself though! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Year 10 is by far the best year of secondary school. You get to drop a load of subjects you don't like and do ones you do like. Maths, English and Science aren't that bad (I found maths hard though so had a tutor. I only got a C, my lowest GCSE grade, but the maths teaching at my school was poor).

Doing mainly your chosen subjects without the full stress of year 11 exams is what makes year 10 the best. Try hard in your work though so you do well in year 10 coursework and exams if you have any. It'll be worth working hard in year 10 when it gets to year 11.

Another thing I liked about year 10 is that annoying people who'd been in my year 7-9 classes didn't take the same options as me and were in lower sets (because they're stupid) so I got no hassle from them and generally better behaved classes all year 10 and 11.
(only just noticed my awful typing, sorry!)

The only ones of those I did were triple science, short RS and history, although different exam boards for RS and history...
With History, make sure you keep on top of it and revise well, especially if you're not that great with words (like me :P). There's a lot to remember and it can get confusing (at least for me).
For RS you'll probably mainly need to be able to reason your own opinions.
Science will be fine as long as you make sure you understand what you've done in lessons so that.it's makes it much easier when it comes to revision.
I did AQA French, which is similar to Spanish. Do your best in the speaking and listening assessments, never just assume you can resit - strong CAs really help when it comes to the reading and listening exams which can be quite hard.

In general, just make sure you do homework asap and meet deadlines etc. particularly for coursework as that can take up so much time. Revise for mocks as that helps for the real thing and remember to ask questions. Don't overwork yourself though! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice :smile:
I found year 10 to be quite easy in terms of I was very lazy and didn't work hard at all. Even when it came to doing controlled assessments I found myself not doing enough preparation. I regret this as I know I'll have to work extra hard for my GCSE's this year. My advice would be to really work hard and show the teachers that you are enthusiastic to work. Also- be positive! If your confidence levels are low because of previous grades, do some extra revision before tests to prove to yourself you can get the grades. And if you don't- find your areas that need improving and ask someone for help. That can prove really useful :smile: Sometimes teachers can make you feel bad about your grades- in my school, I feel like we are never praised or encouraged, only criticised if we don't get top grades. This has a negative effect on many students and discourages us to put the effort in. You need to realise that it's okay to slip up, it's okay not to get straight A*'s and you can work at your own pace. As long as you feel you're trying, that's enough :smile:
Reply 39
Original post by melody19
Well firstly I'll start with art. Try to meet all your deadlines. Seriously, every single one. It will do you a world of good because once you miss them it's crazy to catch up. Imo, art is manageable but only if you stay on top of your work. Be organised. I tended to try and get it out of the way asap with my art homework but if not just pace yourself and do a bit everyday. At the end of year 10, make sure you've completed all your coursework for that year. I know people that have had to come in right in the middle of their GCSE exams in year 11 to catch up on tiny things from the start of year 10. Trust me you don't want to be in that situation. Not trying to put you off, I loved art myself but I'm just giving you a heads up that it's the subject you'll need to be the most organised with. If you are, then it'll go great :smile:

Next, always ask questions if you have them. A lot of the time teachers like questions and also they'll be questions others have too. If you're nervous about asking in the lesson then ask at the end. The little bit of understanding will help you a lot because it's better to learn at the time then 2 years later doing it alone easter revision. But try to figure it out yourself first.

Also, it doesn't matter really if you slacked in ks3. I assume from year 10 you'll be starting all your GCSE content from scratch so don't worry. I'd recommend that you revise for the end of topic tests and do your homework on time because it may seem pointless but you find if you revise properly then, it's much easier to remember what you learnt when you have to revisit it in year 11. Also, for my gcse revision notes I actually used the ones from some end of topic tests so they come handy. And with the revision you kind of learn how to refine your note writing technique etc. Apart from that though I wouldn't do too much extra work, it's unnecessary and you don't want to burn yourself out. And don't worry about your grades, if you do the work you're given and you make sure you understand everything your grades will go up and as my teacher says, you don't want to peak too early :wink:

If you have any hobbies or into extra curricular stuff like sport or music, do it. Don't be like 'I don't have time'. It helps you to focus the time you have left and you enjoy yourself and relax :smile:

I wouldn't really work during the year 10 summer (revision I mean) but if you're really behind and struggling in a subject I'd use that time to catch up.

Sorry this is so long, told you literally everything I could thing of :tongue:
Tl;dr do the work you're given and revise for tests, it'll make your life easier in y11. Always ask questions if you don't understand. Don't leave not understanding the topic. Be organised. But also don't overwork, it's year 10, you can still chill and try to get involved in clubs or hobbies :smile:

All the best for next year :biggrin:

Thank you sooo much i really appreciate it :smile: i cannot express how happy i am for all the advice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest