The Student Room Group

Russian history: Whats a Romanov dynasty?

I dont want a long explanation im studying Russia from 1881 and in the revision book it says "the total power made the Romanov dynasty which ruled Russia from 1613 to 1917, the post powerful in Europe" This dont make sense though because in 1881 the government in Russia was an Autocratic one so how can they be powerful when just one individual had complete power?
The Romanov dynasty is the dynasty of the Tsars that ruled Russia (as stated from 1613-1917), Alexander II was the Tsar from 1855 until his assassination in 1881. He was replaced by Alexander III who much akin to the other Tsars wielded autocratic power. I think you are confused r.e the meaning of 'Autocratic' - as autocratic refers one individual who has complete power
Reply 2
Original post by AndrewGrace
The Romanov dynasty is the dynasty of the Tsars that ruled Russia (as stated from 1613-1917), Alexander II was the Tsar from 1855 until his assassination in 1881. He was replaced by Alexander III who much akin to the other Tsars wielded autocratic power. I think you are confused r.e the meaning of 'Autocratic' - as autocratic refers one individual who has complete power

Oh so the Romanov dynasty only really consisted of one person at a time? So would you say its like more or less a time line of the rulers? No I knew what autocratic means as I said the reason im confused is because if autocratic means one person in charge in if the Romanov dynasty is a group it contradicts itself
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by sarah385
Oh so the Romanov dynasty only really consisted of one person at a time? So would you say its like more or less a time line of the rulers?

The Romanov dynasty is simply the Russian Royal Family from 1613-1917, so it would only ever consist of one ruler at any given time.

However they would have children so there would be more than one person in the wider 'family'.
Reply 4
Original post by AndrewGrace
The Romanov dynasty is simply the Russian Royal Family from 1613-1917, so it would only ever consist of one ruler at any given time.

However they would have children so there would be more than one person in the wider 'family'.

Ok I get it now, very helpful tanx!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending