The Student Room Group

Management Accountant with a criminal record?

Hi all,

Looking for some advice here on whether or not I should pursue my studies and a career as a management accountant.

I am part qualified with CIMA but do have a criminal record for assault causing severe injury 10 years ago.

I know that accountants are exempt under the rehabilitation of offenders act and would have to declare criminal convictions but I am wondering if this is the same for management accountants?

Does anyone know, or from experience can anyone say, if one has to declare criminal convictions or supply disclosures when applying for positions such as assistant management accountant in the UK?

Any other advice or input as to how badly this might affect my career would be greatly appreciated. I do want to emigrate to New Zealand one day and would hope that this could still be possible as a management accountant despite my coloured past.

Thanks in advance
I think whether or not you get asked about criminal convictions depends on the employer. Organisations that require application forms to be filled in (usually large companies and public sector organisations) frequently have a question about criminal convictions on their application form, but there are also many companies that only look at CVs and do not ask about whether or not you have a criminal record.
Reply 2
It might be worth first exploring the length of time from the date of conviction you will need to declare your criminal record on job application forms. I might be wrong but I thought this was 5 years? Depending on the conviction and the type of job you are applying for, you might not have to declare it anhmore. I understand the situation is different for someone applying for a job where you will with vulnerable people.

Have a look here:

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/work_e/faq_index_employment/faq_employment_applying_for_jobs_with_a_criminal_record.htm

I hope I have helped. Let me know your findings.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by YolandeOfAragon
I think whether or not you get asked about criminal convictions depends on the employer. Organisations that require application forms to be filled in (usually large companies and public sector organisations) frequently have a question about criminal convictions on their application form, but there are also many companies that only look at CVs and do not ask about whether or not you have a criminal record.

That's a fair point, but I think 99% of employers will do a background reference on the employee. The employee will need to provide his personal information such as work experience, qualifications and in 99% of cases previous criminal records (but as I mentioned above the time period for this might have already lapsed).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
You might struggle to get a New Zealand visa with a criminal record. If you had a custodial sentence of 12 months of greater that door is firmly shut and even for a lesser conviction they will still scrutinise you. The accountancy qualification is irrelevant.
Did you guys register with the icaew or fill a form out
Reply 6
Original post by Ifidisjwbdnd
Did you guys register with the icaew or fill a form out

1) The thread is 5 years old.

2) The posts relate to CIMA - not ICAEW.
Original post by broonie30
Hi all,

Looking for some advice here on whether or not I should pursue my studies and a career as a management accountant.

I am part qualified with CIMA but do have a criminal record for assault causing severe injury 10 years ago.

I know that accountants are exempt under the rehabilitation of offenders act and would have to declare criminal convictions but I am wondering if this is the same for management accountants?

Does anyone know, or from experience can anyone say, if one has to declare criminal convictions or supply disclosures when applying for positions such as assistant management accountant in the UK?

Any other advice or input as to how badly this might affect my career would be greatly appreciated. I do want to emigrate to New Zealand one day and would hope that this could still be possible as a management accountant despite my coloured past.

Thanks in advance

you didn't steal and were much younger i think an employer might look past this. but they may ask you about it

Quick Reply

Latest