The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Novascope
Wow, I haven't been apart of this thread in ages...

Please read what I've said to other people, I explained what I really meant. It'll take me forever to do that again.

I already stated that Oxbridge don't offer what I want to do, so obviously I can't go there? But I'm going to leave it at that as I don't want to get into something again.

I didn't ask if you could go there. I asked what your grades/predicted grades are. It is your right not to tell me.

Although, I would have been genuinely interested if you did have excellent grades and decided to go to a less prestigious university. I know people do that because they feel more comfortable in a more relaxed learning environment. It would make sense.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Damien_Dalgaard
Durham posh preppies who are burthurt over their oxford rejection :yep:

You gotta love the preppies, they play rugby, go sailing every weekend wear sweatshirts, and they have these cool barrelled surnames like Chauncey-Hamilton or Montague-Douglas-Scott

And they are so rah. They think the world is theirs since they live off their sugar daddy (Actual daddy's money) and sport Abercrombie & Fitch.

Also every preppy girl think that they look like Serena van der Woodsen whereas they are more like the girls that you vote as NOT on hotornot.com

For reference those who knew TSR user "Consumed by Stuff" his mother couldn't keep her legs closed - and guess where she went Newcastle xx

Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wouldn't say Kent overall but one of my friends had a brother go there who left because he was fed up of all the posh people he had to encounter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 563
I think page 31 of the attached Highfliers document settles the argument that Nottingham was ranked number 1 of any UK university in 2013-2014 for being the most targeted university for the Times top 100 graduate employers, which includes the top investment banks and law firms:-

http://www.highfliers.co.uk/download/GMReport14.pdf

1. Nottingham
2. Manchester
3. Cambridge
4. Oxford
5. Bristol
6. Bath
7. Warwick
8. Leeds
9. Imperial
10. University College London
-----------------------------------------------
12. Durham
16. LSE
18. Exeter
22. King's College London

(St Andrews not even in the top 25!)

The QS World Rankings place Nottingham in 75th place, and 14th in comparison to it's UK competitors:-

http://www.topuniversities.com/unive...=false+search=

Well done Nottingham! With a really strong strategic plan in place between 2010-2015, and a surplus of £22 million plus each year thanks to the monumental amount of rich assets the university has in place, Nottingham is well placed to be recognised as a UK top 10 university and World top 50 university by the end of 2015, as per the Employer review, THE & QS global rankings (Nottingham's preferred performance indicators). The Vice Chancellor Sir David Greenway is the man!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 564
Original post by mrkl

And they certainly do not work for a mass employer like Iceland's or Aldi's.

:biggrin:

That is a stupid and uninformed comment. Aldi have a graduate programme that attracts the top 1% of graduates who command starting salaries at 40k. I have worked for a business that works very closely with Aldi at their HQ, and it is an extremely impressive head office, with dozens of high end black BMWs, Mercedes, Audi company cars parked in the driveway for those lucky enough to work there.
(edited 9 years ago)
Oxford, Cambridge, St Andrews, Durham, Bristol, Nottingham, Exeter, Newcastle, York, Imperial, UCL, King's and maybe Birmingham and Southampton and any medical school. Manchester and Leeds are beginning to attract posh students more so for the nightlife. Oh forgot to add Edinburgh and Glasgow to the above list.
Reply 566
Original post by Hulkamaniac
Oxford, Cambridge, St Andrews, Durham, Bristol, Nottingham, Exeter, Newcastle, York, Imperial, UCL, King's and maybe Birmingham and Southampton and any medical school. Manchester and Leeds are beginning to attract posh students more so for the nightlife. Oh forgot to add Edinburgh and Glasgow to the above list.

Are you the Real American? Hollywood & NWO for life? :biggrin:
Reply 567
Original post by Mansun
I think page 31 of the attached Highfliers document settles the argument that Nottingham was ranked number 1 of any UK university in 2013-2014 for being the most targeted university for the Times top 100 graduate employers, which includes the top investment banks and law firms:-

1. Nottingham
2. Manchester
3. Cambridge
4. Oxford
5. Bristol
6. Bath
7. Warwick
8. Leeds
9. Imperial
12. Durham
16. LSE
18. Exeter

The QS World Rankings place Nottingham in 75th place, and 14th in comparison to it's UK competitors:-

Well done Nottingham! With a really strong strategic plan in place between 2010-2015, and a surplus of £22 million plus each year thanks to the monumental amount of rich assets the university has in place, Nottingham is well placed to be recognised as a UK top 10 university and World top 50 university by the end of 2015, as per the Employer review, THE & QS global rankings (Nottingham's preferred performance indicators). The Vice Chancellor Sir David Greenway is the man!

If that's well done for Notts then its standards must be very low because this is effectively a study of the entire job market in UK which includes such great glamorous industries such as Public services, retail and consumer goods. It includes over 100 employers; hardly the elites.

Also nowhere does say anything about private school candidates or events hints at anything to do with poshness. To even push this point makes you look like a liar because it's blatant that your quoted study is irrelevant to topic.

Now we know why it took so long for you to provide a " source " .... because it was not credible.

Also it's hurting your cause because no one likes to go to a university which seems to produce desperate graduates.

These are actual credibly sourced articles relating where private school students actually went for uni:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...?frame=2292907

http://tab.co.uk/2014/03/31/revealed...ated-students/

And they certainly do not work for a mass employer like Iceland's or Aldi's.

Reply 568
It can hardly be as stupid and uninformed as this was:
:biggrin:

Original post by Mansun

You could throw in a jet plane but Aldi will be Aldi - it's not part of the posh elite institutions of this country.

End of

:wink:

Original post by Mansun
Aldi have a graduate programme that attracts the top 1% of graduates who command starting salaries at 40k. I have worked for a business that works very closely with Aldi at their HQ, and it is an extremely impressive head office, with dozens of high end black BMWs, Mercedes, Audi company cars parked in the driveway for those lucky enough to work there.
Original post by Mansun

1. Nottingham
2. Manchester
3. Cambridge
4. Oxford
5. Bristol
6. Bath
7. Warwick
8. Leeds
9. Imperial
12. Durham
16. LSE
18. Exeter

Mansun, you really need to stop wandering around TSR promoting Nottingham just because you went there and trashing all the universities that are without question better than Nottingham. It makes you look bitter about your obvious rejection. Haven't you got anything better to do?
Original post by Hitashami
I wouldn't say Kent overall but one of my friends had a brother go there who left because he was fed up of all the posh people he had to encounter.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know about the university itself, but I can personally confirm there are many posh people in Kent generally. :biggrin:

Going back to the original topic, I hear a lot of posh accents when I walk every day past LSE. I think this may be evidence of something. :cool:
Original post by KayteeKaytee
Mansun, you really need to stop wandering around TSR promoting Nottingham just because you went there and trashing all the universities that are without question better than Nottingham. It makes you look bitter about your obvious rejection. Haven't you got anything better to do?

Lmao this

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 572
Original post by KayteeKaytee

Which university have I trashed? I think ex-polytechnics possibly, but I have also defended them as they often have industrial placements built into their degrees, which are incredibly important. I've also said Exeter is top 20, not top 10. And I have said the likes of Cardiff and Birmingham are underrated and are only slightly behind UCL and Durham? Perhaps I have given the impression St Andrews is overrated, and it does seem that way given the record it has with top graduate employers and after reading the QS World Rankings. Even still, I have said both Durham and St Andrews attract students from the very best private schools (Eton, Harrow, Westminster) in abundance, so they must be doing something right.

The information I have provided on Nottingham will be of great value to prospective and current students at the university going forward, and to students of other universities. UCL does not rate the QS World Rankings, but Nottingham takes them very seriously. Likewise, Nottingham doesn't take the UK newspaper rankings seriously, but Imperial quotes them in their prospectus.

If you don't like a post, you don't have to read it. I frequently just skim the posts from of certain posters as I know they are just really angry people for no reason other than having problems in their life and come onto the TSR to lash it out. Have you got better things to do? Nope you haven't.

I think you were angry, KayteeKaytee, and that's all I have to say about it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I don't know about the university itself, but I can personally confirm there are many posh people in Kent generally. :biggrin:

Going back to the original topic, I hear a lot of posh accents when I walk every day past LSE. I think this may be evidence of something. :cool:

Elaborate on that last bit...?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wisefire
Elaborate on that last bit...?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not a lot to elaborate really. I walk past Kings, UCL and LSE fairly often and out of the three, I think I tend to hear the most plummy accents outside LSE.
Reply 575
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Not a lot to elaborate really. I walk past Kings, UCL and LSE fairly often and out of the three, I think I tend to hear the most plummy accents outside LSE.

Lots of Americans study at LSE, I've done many a pub crawl with them, and have been to the LSE student bar.
Reply 576

If you meddle in the affairs of top universities, you must be prepared to think of such things.

A few angry posters on the TSR follow you wherever you go like an internet stalker, or are even more attached to you like a dog that has had enough of getting hold of you by the trousers at the ankle and is now targeting further up your trousers!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mansun
given the record it has with top graduate employers

Could you elaborate on this a bit please?
Reply 578
Original post by Smack
Could you elaborate on this a bit please?

St Andrews is ranked outside the top 25 for being a target university with the top 100 graduate recruiters, which you can see in my earlier post. But there may be some reasons to this lack of presence in the top 25, in that many of the students who go to St Andrews are from very rich families, and have attended Eton or Harrow previously. They will take their time on the aftermath of university life. Not everyone has that luxury.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mansun
St Andrews is ranked outside the top 25 for being a target university with the top 100 graduate recruiters, which you can see in my earlier post. But there may be some reasons to this lack of presence in the top 25, in that many of the students who go to St Andrews are from very rich families, and have attended Eton or Harrow previously. They will take their time on the aftermath of university life. Not everyone has that luxury.

I think there are several reasons.

Firstly, St Andrews can be quite a trek to get to if you're not based around the area, and lots of the employers in the aforementioned aren't. Secondly, it has a fairly limited subject choice, especially in more vocational areas. And lastly, it has a small number of students.

If you're one of the "top 100", i.e. you're a well known brand name seeking to recruit large numbers of graduates, going to St Andrews doesn't give you as much bang for your buck as many of the large city universities, because it's difficult getting there, and when you arrive you'll only be able to reach out to a relatively small amount of students. I believe that Strathclyde has the biggest careers fair in Scotland, and as a university it is quite the opposite of St Andrews (large, in a city and with lots of students studying subjects favoured by employers).

Thus, I don't really think that the ranking of "targets" with the "top 100" graduate employers correlates much with employer reputation, if such a thing could ever be derived.

Latest