The Student Room Group

Cheating in University exams.

At university studying law and obviously its exam period.
Me and a few fellow students have openly seen people using notes, as in A4 pieces of paper on the floor by their feet and under their answer booklets.
Obviously I don't want to be the one to openly snitch etc but it's annoying when the rest of us are getting so stressed about it....
Obviously what I'm asking is what do you think I should do?

Scroll to see replies

I can't fathom how they aren't caught. I'm not sure who would be the person to go to about anything, so if it were me, I'd go to my personal tutor to tell them that some students are cheating, and let them deal with it from there.
Reply 2
Original post by FireGarden
I can't fathom how they aren't caught. I'm not sure who would be the person to go to about anything, so if it were me, I'd go to my personal tutor to tell them that some students are cheating, and let them deal with it from there.

I think they are just choosing to ignore it to be honest!
One of them almost picked up on it the other day as someone had written it on their legs then came back from the toilet and quickly wrote it down on the back on an unused answer booklet. He went and looked at it then ignored it.

I just dont think it is fair as I'm getting so stressed about the exams and they are just cheating their way through.
Are you sure it's not just scrap paper? I'm not saying you're wrong, but it seems very odd that the invigilators haven't noticed.

I don't think there's any harm in bringing it to the general attention of the invigilators - you don't have to name names. I don't normally say snitch, but this affects your life directly (assuming your exams are scaled). If you don't name individuals then if the invigilators catch anyone it really is their own fault.

Alternatively, deal with it on a student level, and get your union or common room to send out an 'educational' e-mail. The chances are people who thought they could get away with it will be warned off.
They might have just written stuff down once they got into the exam. What I do is if there's something I need to remember but haven't learnt I repetitively say it in my head until the exam starts and then scribble it down before I start answering questions so that I have it when I need it but haven't had to cheat to know it, technically.
Reply 5
Absolutely positive, the one in regards to the writing after going to the toilet was all case names and the legal principle.
Same with the other ones.
I have the worry of people finding out because I still have another year left and don't want to be the one known as being the snitch.
Reply 6
Original post by Carroon
Me and a few fellow students have openly seen people using notes, as in A4 pieces of paper on the floor by their feet and under their answer booklets.
Obviously I don't want to be the one to openly snitch etc but it's annoying when the rest of us are getting so stressed about it....

They will eventually get caught. They are cheating themselves. You do your best for yourself and focus on your own paper.
One of the guys in our class has paid his girlfriend to write his essay, and then paid for his major practical to be recorded, produced and mastered at a pro studio.

I believe he's been awarded a first class honours. Makes me sick.

But it's going to come round and bite him when he starts work a studio and can't actually do anything.
Reply 8
Uni's seem less bothered about cheats then schools at GCSE/A-levels.

I can see the obvious advantage in law exams lol, I have one on Monday :frown:
Content is piss easy to understand but remembering case names and content is a little bit of a pain.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by 1001Shab
They will eventually get caught. They are cheating themselves. You do your best for yourself and focus on your own paper.

No. They are being resourceful and that's a very useful tool in life. You need to go out your way to get a comparative advantage to survive.
I personally know the content and see no use in cheating but if you can do it right, that's a skill in itself and people get rewarded for it, regardless of it's morality.
Get caught once and they're ****ed. Not worth the risk. :tongue:
Reply 11
Original post by uxa595
No. They are being resourceful and that's a very useful tool in life. You need to go out your way to get a comparative advantage to survive.
I personally know the content and see no use in cheating but if you can do it right, that's a skill in itself and people get rewarded for it, regardless of it's morality.

No, it just indicates that you have no potential of succeeding in that exam that you'd have to go and cheat. Anybody can cheat, but why would you if you've worked hard studying for that exam? I think those who cheat are usually the lazy ones! If you want to survive by using a comparative advantage, how about you use your time wisely studying like normal human being, as opposed to finding means of cheating in an exam.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
No, it just indicates that you have no potential of succeeding in that exam that you'd have to go and cheat. Anybody can cheat, but why would you if you've worked hard studying for that exam? I think those who cheat are usually the lazy ones! If you want to survive by using a comparative advantage, how about you use your time wisely studying like normal human being, as opposed to finding means of cheating in an exam.

Cheating doesn't imply unintelligence. It's either unintelligence or laziness.

Not studying well in exams does not mean you won't go on to be driven.
Original post by Carroon
I think they are just choosing to ignore it to be honest!
One of them almost picked up on it the other day as someone had written it on their legs then came back from the toilet and quickly wrote it down on the back on an unused answer booklet. He went and looked at it then ignored it.

I just dont think it is fair as I'm getting so stressed about the exams and they are just cheating their way through.

Why do you even care? Focus on yourself instead of others. Anyway gl.
Reply 14
Original post by uxa595
Cheating doesn't imply unintelligence. It's either unintelligence or laziness.

Not studying well in exams does not mean you won't go on to be driven.

It may not imply the aforementioned, but by deciding to cheat you are undermining your own intelligence. It's implying that you have no self-confidence or self-belief that you've reverted into practicing this act of dishonesty.

Of course not, look at Bill Gates. Not doing well in exams doesn't necessarily indicate that you won't succeed in life.
Reply 15
It may not imply the aforementioned, but by deciding to cheat you are undermining your own intelligence. It's implying that you have no self-confidence or self-belief that you've reverted into practicing this act of dishonesty.

Of course not, look at Bill Gates. Not doing well in exams doesn't necessarily indicate that you won't succeed in life.

I know it's morally wrong but if you're really bright and don't learn all year then cheat, it won't stop you in future life. Every person i've known works way harder during their career.

Bill Gates was extraordinarily smart. He had enough 'CATS' to graduate, he just didn't go through with it. Dropping out =/= poor grades. Most these famous tech dropouts could have succeeded in uni.
Original post by Carroon

If you are worried about being known as a snitch - then write anonymously to someone in your department, or in the office that arranges exams. I manage exams in my institution, and we really appreciate tip-offs. Just knowing who to watch is really useful and has helped to catch cheats in the past. We don't need to know who you are if you want to tell us what's going on.
Reply 17
You can cheat your way through Uni, but you can't cheat your way through work. Those who leave University with limited knowledge in the subject will be found out within industry as they get let go by companies for not reaching company targets and generally just sucking at their job.
Forget what you saw and do your bit :smile: At least you will be proud of yourself that you worked hard for the exam whereas others just cheated :wink: By the way, they won't be able to cheat in the future and when in life they will need it, notes won't help them :colone:
let me reply, and without naming any body. I recently went for a law exams, it was on line@ university
prior to the exams ii learn by heart the practical question posted by the university some 60 question. I did the practice of the university question and score 100 per cent.

When I went for the exams not even one question was same as the model it was all twisted type of question. and i score hardly 23 marks??? do YOU THINK FOR THE NEXT TIME I WILL NOT CHEAT?? TO TOP UP THE COURSE WAS ON LINE
, IN ORDER NOT TO DISTURB THE CLASS ,i RAISE MY HAND AND TELLING THE TUTOR I GOT ONE QUESTION AT THE END OF THE CLASS PLEASE GIVE ME 5 MINS.
HE/SHE JUST AT THE END JUST SAID THANK YOU GUY AND SEE YOU NEXT WEEK.

THE TIME OF REAL TEACHER, REAL DEVOTED TUTOR HAS GONE
IT ALL MONEY MATTER NOWADAYS.

(

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending