The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Who's staying at Oak House???? (Uni of Manchester)

I thought I'd make this thread for people that are gonna move to Oak House this September to get to know each other and stuff.

I'm gonna be staying at Beech Court and studying Medicine. Anyone else out there?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi,

I'm gonna be at Holly Court, studying Computer Science.:smile:
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by gergopool
Hi,

Cool Cool. what do the different courts actually mean? Are we gonna be in different buildings?
I have a friend who might know about the courts - I'll ask her. :smile:

Origami Bullets
Reply 4
Original post by Blackacre
I have a friend who might know about the courts - I'll ask her. :smile:

thanks bro
Original post by HaQ_mAn_
Cool Cool. what do the different courts actually mean? Are we gonna be in different buildings?

There are 5 different courts - Chestnut, Beech, Holly, Sycamore and Maple. These are 5 buildings that are all next to each other and internally identical (with the exception of Chestnut, which has sinks in the bedrooms) :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Origami Bullets
There are 5 different courts - Chestnut, Beech, Holly, Sycamore and Maple. These are 5 buildings that are all next to each other and internally identical (with the exception of Chestnut, which has sinks in the bedrooms) :smile:

So they're like blocks of flats then? So everyone that lives in Beech is going to be my neighbours
So they're like blocks of flats then? So everyone that lives in Beech is going to be my neighbours

You're going to be within spitting distance of everyone, really, but it does sort of work a bit like blocks of flats. The only unusual feature from that point of view is that within each court, there's a separate entrance for every four flats, meaning that some are a little more like neighbours than others :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Origami Bullets
You're going to be within spitting distance of everyone, really, but it does sort of work a bit like blocks of flats. The only unusual feature from that point of view is that within each court, there's a separate entrance for every four flats, meaning that some are a little more like neighbours than others :smile:

okay, so i'm moving from one block to another lol.

SO before long would everyone in Oak House no eachother?
okay, so i'm moving from one block to another lol.

SO before long would everyone in Oak House no eachother?

There's over a 1000 students in OH, so you're not going to get to know everyone! I found that I knew everyone in my flat, most people in the group of four flats that are commonly referred to as a 'block' (slightly confusingly!), and a few people beyond that in my court. Anyone who I knew from outside my court I invariably met through another path first e.g. societies.
Original post by gergopool
Hi,

Hey there, I'm at Holly Court too :smile: Which floor?
Anyone in SY? Or doing criminology?
Original post by michaela_d
Hey there, I'm at Holly Court too :smile: Which floor?

As far as I remember, 2nd floor. Yours? :smile:
Whoo me too! Can't post what flat on here apparently but have you joined the Facebook group for Oak House? :smile:

I'm still looking for someone who's in the same flat haha
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
Hi! Anyone here in Maple? :smile:
Reply 15
It was only recently i realised their all named after trees.......
Just a quick note for everyone!
BE, CH, MA, HO or SY are the block codes, (BE for Beech etc!).
The number after that will be 0, 1, 2 or 3, and it'll most likely be floor 0 or 2 if you're male, 1 or 3 if you're a girl. Each flat is a sort of maisonette, with 8 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a kitchen/diner split over two floors; boys on one floor, girls on the other.
After the floor number you'll get your flat number, which could be anything up to 68, depending on your block
Last will be your room number.

Your kitchen could be on either floor of your flat; if you're looking at the main entrance to the block, if your flat is on the left, it'll be on the boys floor, if your flat is on the right, it'll be on the girls floor.

I've just moved out of Oak House after an amazing year, so any questions, feel free to fire them my way!
I got my offer today for Holly Court, so excited!
Reply 18
Original post by awkwardusername
Just a quick note for everyone!
BE, CH, MA, HO or SY are the block codes, (BE for Beech etc!).
The number after that will be 0, 1, 2 or 3, and it'll most likely be floor 0 or 2 if you're male, 1 or 3 if you're a girl. Each flat is a sort of maisonette, with 8 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a kitchen/diner split over two floors; boys on one floor, girls on the other.
After the floor number you'll get your flat number, which could be anything up to 68, depending on your block
Last will be your room number.

Your kitchen could be on either floor of your flat; if you're looking at the main entrance to the block, if your flat is on the left, it'll be on the boys floor, if your flat is on the right, it'll be on the girls floor.

I've just moved out of Oak House after an amazing year, so any questions, feel free to fire them my way!

So girls with floor 0 and boys with floor 1 share a maisonette if they have the same flat nuimber
Ahhhh I'm in Beech Court too! Studying Chemical Engineering. So excited to be in Oak House!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending